Author Topic: Your Jaylen Brown Comparison  (Read 22734 times)

Re: Your Jaylen Brown Comparison
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2016, 11:07:31 PM »

Offline jv2764

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 27
Kedrick Brown

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2016, 11:17:18 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I just went and watched some Maggette highlights.

Yeah. That's what I'm going with. Corey Maggette.

I used to really like Maggette so I'm OK with that.

Played fourteen seasons and averaged 16 points a game over that span. Topped out as a wing averaging 10 FTA per game.

Only made the playoffs once though, and he was mostly a bench guy for that run.

TP Pho, I didn't even think of Maggette.  He had 3 seasons where he scored over 20 and was always among the league leaders in terms of free throw attempts.  Really good to great athlete, too, iirc.  Let's just hope that Brown doesn't have Maggette's injury history :-\.

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2016, 11:35:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Demar Derozan plus Jason Richardson (physical tools)

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2016, 11:36:34 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
A floor of Jamal Mashburn.

A ceiling of...errr...ummm...yeah, nah, not gonna say it.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2016, 11:36:43 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Maggette was a three point threat, no?

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2016, 11:44:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Off and on. He was never a great three point shooter.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2016, 11:52:12 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Brian Scalabrine

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2016, 11:53:39 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

I just checked his stats not very good from three point range. I must be confusing him with another player that left from Clippers to Phoenix - Quentin Richardson, maybe?

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2016, 12:02:25 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I just checked his stats not very good from three point range. I must be confusing him with another player that left from Clippers to Phoenix - Quentin Richardson, maybe?

Yeah, probably.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2016, 12:34:10 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I just went and watched some Maggette highlights.

Yeah. That's what I'm going with. Corey Maggette.

I used to really like Maggette so I'm OK with that.

Played fourteen seasons and averaged 16 points a game over that span. Topped out as a wing averaging 10 FTA per game.

Only made the playoffs once though, and he was mostly a bench guy for that run.

Great comp, TP. Let's hope he's better though. Still a long way for him to go to become better than Maggette.

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2016, 12:43:38 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Wiggins with less natural hops but more natural intelligence.

I watch a lot of TWolves basketball, and Wiggins comes to mind as a comparison because of everything from spin-move fluidity to getting to the free throw line to streaky jumpers to surprisingly polished (not nearly Kobe-esque polished, but more so than people thought coming out of college) post game to slightly-overrated defense (although the Brown looks like a better defender than Wiggins at the same stage) to mediocre decision-making.

The only huge differences I see are Brown's demeanor (he seems more outspoken, less shy, and much more well-spoken), Brown's lack of Wiggins-esque hops (although Brown is still an above-average NBA athlete), and his ability to get rebounds. Brown seems more of a "thick" strong than Wiggins, with his "wiry-strong" build, which I think will make Brown a significantly better rebounder.

If Brown were on a terrible team, I could easily see him averaging 16ppg, a la Wiggins.

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2016, 12:44:37 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Dwyane Wade where he was good but while everyone was still pronouncing his name wrong.

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2016, 12:50:28 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

I watch a lot of TWolves basketball, and Wiggins comes to mind as a comparison because of everything from spin-move fluidity to getting to the free throw line to streaky jumpers to surprisingly polished (not nearly Kobe-esque polished, but more so than people thought coming out of college) post game to slightly-overrated defense (although the Brown looks like a better defender than Wiggins at the same stage) to mediocre decision-making.

The only huge differences I see are Brown's demeanor (he seems more outspoken, less shy, and much more well-spoken), Brown's lack of Wiggins-esque hops (although Brown is still an above-average NBA athlete), and his ability to get rebounds. Brown seems more of a "thick" strong than Wiggins, with his "wiry-strong" build, which I think will make Brown a significantly better rebounder.

If Brown were on a terrible team, I could easily see him averaging 16ppg, a la Wiggins.

Interesting.  I was thinking about Wiggins, as well, but then I remembered that he has a pretty good midrange game and step back jumper, right?  I don't see him, a lot, so yeah ;D.

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2016, 12:54:11 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Somewhere between Tony Allen and Lebron.

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2016, 01:05:44 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

Interesting.  I was thinking about Wiggins, as well, but then I remembered that he has a pretty good midrange game and step back jumper, right?  I don't see him, a lot, so yeah ;D.

Not really. Here's his shot chart from this past year:

The thing with Wiggins is that his jumper looked a lot smoother than people thought it would coming out of college. All of a sudden, people starting praising this (seemingly) suddenly not-broken jumper that Wiggins had.

Wiggins rookie year, his coach was the late Flip Saunders (RIP), who hated three-pointers and loved the midrange shot. (Sam Mitchell, the TWolves intern head coach this past year,  also had an affinity for the midrange, but he slowly got away from it as the year went on.) As a result, a majority of Wiggins looks these past two years have been from midrange. So when it came time for ESPN to rave about Wiggins' revelatory jumper, all the highlights were of midrange jumpers.

One of Wiggins' bad habits is relying too much on his athleticism, which can partially explain the shot chart. He would too often: 1) pull-up when he should have gone all the way to the hoop 2) take a one-dribble pull-up shot when he should have taken a three-pointer before the close out got there. These looks seem good from Wiggins' perspective because he can jump so high, but in reality they were contested and statistically inefficient.

When he's rolling, his midrange jumper does look like butter, kind of like how vintage Kobe would just hang in the air and shoot over two defenders in the lane. When it's off, though, you're left wondering why the smoothest athlete in the room wouldn't take one more dribble and poster somebody, like how vintage Kobe shot ~40% from the field. Wiggins got a lot better this year at not settling and getting to the rim, hence his very-respectable 45% field-goal percentage despite his weak jumper. The next step for him is taking even fewer midrange jumpers, shooting more from beyond the arc, and converting at a 35%+ clip. Hopefully the new regime in Minny is more analytics-based and continues the trend of more threes that the last group started to implement late last year. (People forget that Minny was a top-13 offense despite their terrible 3-point shooting)

EDIT: Also interesting is Wiggins shooting splits from each side of the floor. This trend goes all the way back to his college days and is worth monitoring as the years go by.