Author Topic: Is 30 day trade rule still in place?  (Read 1752 times)

Is 30 day trade rule still in place?
« on: July 17, 2016, 05:26:01 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Im mainly asking about the 30 day rule for trading rookies once they sign. Is it still in place? I am wondering because if C's do plan trading any rookies this may be the hold up for the next move.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 06:11:38 PM by Csfan1984 »

Re: Is 30 day trade rule still in place?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 02:40:26 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Im mainly asking about the 30 day rule for trading rookies once they sign. Is it still in place? I am wondering because if C's do plan trading any rookies this may be the hold up for the next move.

I don't think we've signed the rookies yet. They are trying to make a deal before signing them because their cap holds are lower than what their salaries will be, so we have more flexibility in trades. If it is announced that they are signing that is a signal that the current trade talks, if any, have fallen through and nothing is likely in the near future

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 03:39:27 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932

I don't think we've signed the rookies yet. They are trying to make a deal before signing them because their cap holds are lower than what their salaries will be, so we have more flexibility in trades. If it is announced that they are signing that is a signal that the current trade talks, if any, have fallen through and nothing is likely in the near future

So I've always wondered - how are these college-aged kids that have just turned pro afford to do all of this summer league stuff and all that before they get their contract officially signed? Does the team really just take care of them until then?

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 06:08:41 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

So I've always wondered - how are these college-aged kids that have just turned pro afford to do all of this summer league stuff and all that before they get their contract officially signed? Does the team really just take care of them until then?
I don't know actually. I'd assume the team takes care of them. A lot of these guys won't have an NBA contract, they are trying to earn one. Each team must have a budget for SL each year. Maybe it's in the CBA somewhere as an obligation. I doubt it would be linked to their rookie contracts because even after they sign it the pay only starts with the season.

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 06:43:00 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I think most of them have shoe contracts. High picks like Brown definitely do
I'm bitter.

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 11:32:13 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

They pay for food and lodging and transportation to the league if they are on the SL team.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 11:37:43 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75

so then what happens when/if they get a catastrophic injury such as ACL BEFORE they sign? Especally those in the 2nd round...are they still signed anyway?

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 11:41:11 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

so then what happens when/if they get a catastrophic injury such as ACL BEFORE they sign? Especally those in the 2nd round...are they still signed anyway?

Generally teams will still sign a player who gets injured.  Shane Larkin broke his foot in summer league (I think) three years ago and still was signed to 120% of his slot value.  Pierre Jackson tore his Achilles two years ago as a second-round pick, and the 76ers gave him a one-year rookie minimum deal guaranteed and then released him (so he got abou $500k).

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 11:43:09 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Yes, Brown signed a deal with adidas in June for more than $1 million a year.  He's not hurting for money while he waits to sign his deal with the Celtics.

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 11:51:28 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Generally teams will still sign a player who gets injured.  Shane Larkin broke his foot in summer league (I think) three years ago and still was signed to 120% of his slot value.  Pierre Jackson tore his Achilles two years ago as a second-round pick, and the 76ers gave him a one-year rookie minimum deal guaranteed and then released him (so he got abou $500k).

Wow, I didn't realize that.  That's a really nice move by the organization

It's especially important that they sign players that they believe will have a future after they recover, since not playing for a year would put them into the next draft.  Hence the 76ers signing Embiid and Noel despite knowing they wouldn't play in year 1
I'm bitter.

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 05:40:42 PM »

Offline outflip50

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Don't know how accurate this is but, what I was told is, the team covers all travel and lodging and the players are given a per Diem of around 900 a day

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 05:57:25 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Don't know how accurate this is but, what I was told is, the team covers all travel and lodging and the players are given a per Diem of around 900 a day

This article said the per diem was $127 a day (which is not much, but a reasonable per diem).

http://hoopshype.com/2015/08/02/the-life-of-the-non-guaranteed-player/