Author Topic: Danny Ainge and IT both in San Diego? Hmmm  (Read 8844 times)

Re: Danny Ainge and IT both in San Diego? Hmmm
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2016, 03:10:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
As I mentioned in the thread where people first talked about Ainge in San Diego, his daughter and some grandchildren live there.  People need to stop tying to put 2 and 2 together, when sometimes 2 just equals 2.

But why would Zarren and Steven's go? Are they like that little dog that follows the big dog in those looney toon cartoons?

And the IT was just in Las Vagas. Now road trip, and looks like with out his wife, just the boys. MY wouldn't like it if I run off for a couple weeks leaving her at home, unless it was work related.

I mean theres a chance that they both just happen to be there at the same time, but Stevens and DA are there for work, not to see his granddaughters. Could even be a prospect for next summer playing.

So IT, vacation, maayybeee.

DA,Steven,Zarren, work realated.

Do you know Stevens and Zarren are there? Or is that just from an anonymous Internet forum?  Not baiting, because I've only seen it on this forum citing another forum.
Haven't heard anything.  And even if Ainge and Thomas were both in San Diego - what does that have to do with Blake Griffin or Russell Westbrook?

And wouldn't we move Thomas if we acquired Westbrook? 

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2016, 03:11:03 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
They're all in LA to get David Miscavige to OK a trade between the Clippers (a big player in underground Scientology) and the Celtics (a long time member of the Illuminati). I don't think such a deal has ever been done but there's reason to be hopeful.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2016, 03:41:00 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Are the Celtics relocating to San Diego?  ;D
its deja vu all over again!!!!!

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1356&dat=19780708&id=Of4xAAAAIBAJ&sjid=0wUEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7192,2032463&hl=en

;D

Wow, that's some Celtics history I didn't know about. Fascinating.

I think that you can argue that the Celtics moved to San Diego a long time ago.

What do you mean?

Owners of the C's and the then Buffalo Braves (latter moved shortly thereafter to San Diego and became the Clippers) swapped franchises and orchestrated probably the biggest trade in NBA history

"... in June of Our Year of the Lord 1978 -- that's the way they say things in Memphis -- the owner of the Buffalo Braves, John Y. Brown, and the owner of the Boston Celtics, Irving H. Levin, swapped franchises.

This is the story, somehow lost and forgotten through the annals of NBA history, despite it being a one-time occurrence:

In the mid-70s, John Y. Brown -- and I will call him John Y. Brown throughout his story, because everybody I spoke with about the guy called him John Y. Brown, as if John or Y. or Brown was seemingly too discreet -- was the owner of the ABA's Kentucky Colonels -- though I don't think his arena was named "The Bucket."

John Y. Brown, by all accounts a shrewd man, took a multimillion dollar payout to fold the franchise -- Rudy Martzke, the USA Today columnist who was then the public relations director for the Buffalo Braves, remembers it being about $3 million, though, he said, the details are a little hazy -- then John Y. Brown used that money to buy a stake in the Braves, who were owned then by Paul Snyder.

As an aside, Martzke says he sees John Y. Brown -- the former Governor of Kentucky who was once married to Phyllis George -- every now and again, and every time Martzke sees him, John Y. Brown introduces him to people and says, "Rudy used to work for me in Buffalo."
   “    The league wasn't how it is now. But we were pretty threadbare, even by standards then. I had to do everything. Besides being an assistant coach, I had to do college and pro scouting. I had to miss several games on the bench because I had to do some scouting, so for a few games, Gene Shue was the only coach on the bench. ”
      — Former Clipper assistant Bob Weiss

"What's funny," Martzke says, "is that I was gone by the time John Y. came to Buffalo. I had become the PR director for the St. Louis Spirits. So I never worked for him, even though to this day he thinks I did."

In any case, at the time John Y. Brown owned the Braves, Irv Levin owned the Celtics. But Levin was from Los Angeles, and what he really wanted to do was return to the West Coast and own a team there.

He couldn't very well take the storied Boston Celtics, who to that point had won 13 NBA championships. So Levin decided to switch franchises with John Y. Brown, who in 1978 had become sole owner of the Braves.

John Y. Brown, of course, was sly enough to know a good deal when he saw one, and he knew the Celtics were a better draw than the expansion Braves, so he jumped at the chance. As it turned out, John Y. Brown was only two years away from drafting Larry Bird.

Levin took the Braves and moved them out to San Diego, where he called them the Clippers.

As Paul Westphal, a former member of the Celtics remembers it, the franchise swap was not widely reported, and fans of either club were not really privy to what was happening behind the scenes.

Westphal remembers that the move was somewhat masked by a trade between the teams that sent Nate Archibald, Marvin Barnes, Billy Knight and future draft choices from San Diego to Boston in exchange for Kermit Washington, Kevin Kunnert, Sidney Wicks and the draft rights to Freeman Williams."

Taken from this article:  http://assets.espn.go.com/nba/columns/hughes/1164180.html
Less than 50%

Thanks for the breakdown! TP.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2016, 03:46:18 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
As I mentioned in the thread where people first talked about Ainge in San Diego, his daughter and some grandchildren live there.  People need to stop tying to put 2 and 2 together, when sometimes 2 just equals 2.

But why would Zarren and Steven's go? Are they like that little dog that follows the big dog in those looney toon cartoons?

And the IT was just in Las Vagas. Now road trip, and looks like with out his wife, just the boys. MY wouldn't like it if I run off for a couple weeks leaving her at home, unless it was work related.

I mean theres a chance that they both just happen to be there at the same time, but Stevens and DA are there for work, not to see his granddaughters. Could even be a prospect for next summer playing.

Do you know Stevens and Zarren are there? Or is that just from an anonymous Internet forum?  Not baiting, because I've only seen it on this forum citing another forum.
Haven't heard anything.  And even if Ainge and Thomas were both in San Diego - what does that have to do with Blake Griffin or Russell Westbrook?

No I don't think so. I think IT can play off the ball. I also think Westbrook could too. So a 2 PG lineup isn't a bad thing.

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2016, 03:47:44 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

Don't be dense. Smitty reported that he'd heard Ainge was going to California. No one else is saying a peep about this. Hours later, Ainge is in California. What it means is that Smitty heard good info from somebody. Which suggests that he is not the poser you think all RealGM insiders are, i.e., everything else he is saying might be reliable, too.

Maybe not?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2016, 03:50:49 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I hope they find fireworks in San Diego 😁
SeaWorld has fireworks every night!

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2016, 04:56:09 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Let me clear the record.  I am Smitty77 and NOT the Smitty alluded to starting these rumors!!

I wish I had some insider info, but I unfortunately do not.

Take care,

Smitty77

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2016, 05:25:35 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
its deja vu all over again!!!!!

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1356&dat=19780708&id=Of4xAAAAIBAJ&sjid=0wUEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7192,2032463&hl=en

;D

Wow, that's some Celtics history I didn't know about. Fascinating.

I think that you can argue that the Celtics moved to San Diego a long time ago.

What do you mean?

Owners of the C's and the then Buffalo Braves (latter moved shortly thereafter to San Diego and became the Clippers) swapped franchises and orchestrated probably the biggest trade in NBA history

"... in June of Our Year of the Lord 1978 -- that's the way they say things in Memphis -- the owner of the Buffalo Braves, John Y. Brown, and the owner of the Boston Celtics, Irving H. Levin, swapped franchises.

This is the story, somehow lost and forgotten through the annals of NBA history, despite it being a one-time occurrence:

In the mid-70s, John Y. Brown -- and I will call him John Y. Brown throughout his story, because everybody I spoke with about the guy called him John Y. Brown, as if John or Y. or Brown was seemingly too discreet -- was the owner of the ABA's Kentucky Colonels -- though I don't think his arena was named "The Bucket."

John Y. Brown, by all accounts a shrewd man, took a multimillion dollar payout to fold the franchise -- Rudy Martzke, the USA Today columnist who was then the public relations director for the Buffalo Braves, remembers it being about $3 million, though, he said, the details are a little hazy -- then John Y. Brown used that money to buy a stake in the Braves, who were owned then by Paul Snyder.

As an aside, Martzke says he sees John Y. Brown -- the former Governor of Kentucky who was once married to Phyllis George -- every now and again, and every time Martzke sees him, John Y. Brown introduces him to people and says, "Rudy used to work for me in Buffalo."
   “    The league wasn't how it is now. But we were pretty threadbare, even by standards then. I had to do everything. Besides being an assistant coach, I had to do college and pro scouting. I had to miss several games on the bench because I had to do some scouting, so for a few games, Gene Shue was the only coach on the bench. ”
      — Former Clipper assistant Bob Weiss

"What's funny," Martzke says, "is that I was gone by the time John Y. came to Buffalo. I had become the PR director for the St. Louis Spirits. So I never worked for him, even though to this day he thinks I did."

In any case, at the time John Y. Brown owned the Braves, Irv Levin owned the Celtics. But Levin was from Los Angeles, and what he really wanted to do was return to the West Coast and own a team there.

He couldn't very well take the storied Boston Celtics, who to that point had won 13 NBA championships. So Levin decided to switch franchises with John Y. Brown, who in 1978 had become sole owner of the Braves.

John Y. Brown, of course, was sly enough to know a good deal when he saw one, and he knew the Celtics were a better draw than the expansion Braves, so he jumped at the chance. As it turned out, John Y. Brown was only two years away from drafting Larry Bird.

Levin took the Braves and moved them out to San Diego, where he called them the Clippers.

As Paul Westphal, a former member of the Celtics remembers it, the franchise swap was not widely reported, and fans of either club were not really privy to what was happening behind the scenes.

Westphal remembers that the move was somewhat masked by a trade between the teams that sent Nate Archibald, Marvin Barnes, Billy Knight and future draft choices from San Diego to Boston in exchange for Kermit Washington, Kevin Kunnert, Sidney Wicks and the draft rights to Freeman Williams."

Taken from this article:  http://assets.espn.go.com/nba/columns/hughes/1164180.html
Less than 50%

I should have known there was a reason the Celtics always seem to have a Clipper pick. The two teams sure seem to be tied together by some metaphysical force, now it makes sense.

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2016, 12:46:14 PM »

Offline ashanm10

• NGT
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 11
  • Ahsan from Greece :D Panathinaikos and Celtics Fan
🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

Banner 18...and BEYOND!!!

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2016, 01:48:00 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Forget where I read this, but apparently San Diego is one of Danny's go-to vacation spots he goes to with his family every summer.   Nothing to this.  Nobody ever explained why Ainge would visit San Diego to talk to a player under contract who lives in Los Angeles. 

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2016, 01:51:04 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Forget where I read this, but apparently San Diego is one of Danny's go-to vacation spots he goes to with his family every summer.   Nothing to this.  Nobody ever explained why Ainge would visit San Diego to talk to a player under contract who lives in Los Angeles.

It was a tweet by Adam Himmelsbach.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2016, 01:56:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Yeah.  It makes sense. It's a nice place to hang out.  They were all already in Vegas for summer league.  If they really wanted to drive 3 hours to visit with a star living in Los Angeles, they didn't need to go to San Diego to do it - they could have just driven from Vegas at any point while they were there. 

Rumor is pretty silly.  Anyone who ran with the Billy the Whale tabloid piece should be embarrassed.

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2016, 02:03:06 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Yeah.  It makes sense. It's a nice place to hang out.  They were all already in Vegas for summer league.  If they really wanted to drive 3 hours to visit with a star living in Los Angeles, they didn't need to go to San Diego to do it - they could have just driven from Vegas at any point while they were there. 

Rumor is pretty silly.  Anyone who ran with the Billy the Whale tabloid piece should be embarrassed.
I gave up when people  believed some random high school kid broke the biggest FA decision since Lebron James.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.