Author Topic: Danny Ainge and IT both in San Diego? Hmmm  (Read 8851 times)

Re: Danny Ainge and IT both in San Diego? Hmmm
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2016, 09:06:06 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Lol I remember that

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2016, 09:29:35 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think it was a symbolic nod  to me, that he got rid of a certain cetacean like player.  Thanks, Danny.  JK :)

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2016, 10:11:44 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
They were just going to the great Zoo there.

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2016, 10:15:35 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
First thing Danny and IT do every morning.

Read the Celtics Blog ....

So they have a clue what to do next . ;D

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2016, 10:39:23 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I hope they find fireworks in San Diego 😁
Good point, fireworks are illegal in MA

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2016, 11:13:14 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Comicon? ;D
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2016, 11:17:18 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Are the Celtics relocating to San Diego?  ;D

I think that you can argue that the Celtics moved to San Diego a long time ago.

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2016, 12:07:33 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2016, 12:44:03 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The Celtics are in people's heads. These guys are masters of human psychology. Don't mess with em.

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2016, 12:52:11 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I actually think Kevin wrote a good article. This is the first time I've felt that there is a chance for a trade now. No idea why Thomas and Ainge would be in San Diego at the same time, and then Thomas trolling us on twitter. Besides that Smitty dude nailed it before Ainge even tweeted the pic. So this actually does make sense. Now I don't know if a deal will happen, but if you asked my opinion, I think there will be a big trade now before the start of the season. People just need to be patient and become busy with their lives. If a trade happens, it will come out of nowhere like most Celtics trades. No popular reporter is truly plugged in with the Celtics. Most of the rumors we hear from them are crap when it comes to the Celtics.

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2016, 12:52:53 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2016, 01:55:51 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

We'd end up losing that game and blowing home court advantage.
And then winning the next game at Philly, reclaiming it. Ah, good 'ol days.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2016, 01:59:03 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

We'd end up losing that game and blowing home court advantage.
And then winning the next game at Philly, reclaiming it. Ah, good 'ol days.

Late era Big Three stuff was inspiring to watch.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2016, 03:00:24 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
its deja vu all over again!!!!!

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1356&dat=19780708&id=Of4xAAAAIBAJ&sjid=0wUEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7192,2032463&hl=en

;D

Wow, that's some Celtics history I didn't know about. Fascinating. TP.

What do you mean?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 03:40:26 PM by rocknrollforyoursoul »
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2016, 03:08:58 PM »

Offline BlastFromThePast

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 78
its deja vu all over again!!!!!

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1356&dat=19780708&id=Of4xAAAAIBAJ&sjid=0wUEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7192,2032463&hl=en

;D

Wow, that's some Celtics history I didn't know about. Fascinating.

What do you mean?

Owners of the C's and the then Buffalo Braves (latter moved shortly thereafter to San Diego and became the Clippers) swapped franchises and orchestrated probably the biggest trade in NBA history

"... in June of Our Year of the Lord 1978 -- that's the way they say things in Memphis -- the owner of the Buffalo Braves, John Y. Brown, and the owner of the Boston Celtics, Irving H. Levin, swapped franchises.

This is the story, somehow lost and forgotten through the annals of NBA history, despite it being a one-time occurrence:

In the mid-70s, John Y. Brown -- and I will call him John Y. Brown throughout his story, because everybody I spoke with about the guy called him John Y. Brown, as if John or Y. or Brown was seemingly too discreet -- was the owner of the ABA's Kentucky Colonels -- though I don't think his arena was named "The Bucket."

John Y. Brown, by all accounts a shrewd man, took a multimillion dollar payout to fold the franchise -- Rudy Martzke, the USA Today columnist who was then the public relations director for the Buffalo Braves, remembers it being about $3 million, though, he said, the details are a little hazy -- then John Y. Brown used that money to buy a stake in the Braves, who were owned then by Paul Snyder.

As an aside, Martzke says he sees John Y. Brown -- the former Governor of Kentucky who was once married to Phyllis George -- every now and again, and every time Martzke sees him, John Y. Brown introduces him to people and says, "Rudy used to work for me in Buffalo."
   “    The league wasn't how it is now. But we were pretty threadbare, even by standards then. I had to do everything. Besides being an assistant coach, I had to do college and pro scouting. I had to miss several games on the bench because I had to do some scouting, so for a few games, Gene Shue was the only coach on the bench. ”
      — Former Clipper assistant Bob Weiss

"What's funny," Martzke says, "is that I was gone by the time John Y. came to Buffalo. I had become the PR director for the St. Louis Spirits. So I never worked for him, even though to this day he thinks I did."

In any case, at the time John Y. Brown owned the Braves, Irv Levin owned the Celtics. But Levin was from Los Angeles, and what he really wanted to do was return to the West Coast and own a team there.

He couldn't very well take the storied Boston Celtics, who to that point had won 13 NBA championships. So Levin decided to switch franchises with John Y. Brown, who in 1978 had become sole owner of the Braves.

John Y. Brown, of course, was sly enough to know a good deal when he saw one, and he knew the Celtics were a better draw than the expansion Braves, so he jumped at the chance. As it turned out, John Y. Brown was only two years away from drafting Larry Bird.

Levin took the Braves and moved them out to San Diego, where he called them the Clippers.

As Paul Westphal, a former member of the Celtics remembers it, the franchise swap was not widely reported, and fans of either club were not really privy to what was happening behind the scenes.

Westphal remembers that the move was somewhat masked by a trade between the teams that sent Nate Archibald, Marvin Barnes, Billy Knight and future draft choices from San Diego to Boston in exchange for Kermit Washington, Kevin Kunnert, Sidney Wicks and the draft rights to Freeman Williams."

Taken from this article:  http://assets.espn.go.com/nba/columns/hughes/1164180.html
Less than 50%