Author Topic: Out of the gate the 2016 draft class is not impressive  (Read 7103 times)

Out of the gate the 2016 draft class is not impressive
« on: July 16, 2016, 12:37:00 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
-#1 drafted Ben Simmons is basically a tall PG that can't shoot, lacks aggression to go to the basket but is a terrific ball handler , passer and rebounder.  Unless he learns how to shoot, I think he will turn out to be another Lamar Odom

#2 drafted Brandon Ingram is ways away physically. He is really thin.  If he can add weight/strength could end up being the best player of the draft. Very well rounded , length advantage and also shows good leadership skills.

-Another player that has looked impressive is Kris Dunn. As advertised looks like a strong 2 way player

-Jaylen Brown looks like a "weapon" on the offensive end much like Andrew Wiggins is for the Wolves.  These guys can score in spurts. Score difficult buckets utilizing world class athleticism.  Come up with some sensational plays. But provide very little in terms of getting teammates involved, poor overall leadership skills.

-Dejounte Murray was a steal for the Spurs.  I was stunned he dropped so hard.  One of the top 5 players of the SL

Underwhelming/inconsistent SL performances from the rest .  Especially Bender, Murray, Hield, Poeltl (top 10 picks) etc.   

Still early to definitely say this was a weak/mediocre draft class but out of the gate not impressive. 

Re: Out of the gate the 2016 draft class is not impressive
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 01:47:45 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I wouldn't put Poeltl down as anywhere near a disappointment.  The guy simply hasn't gotten many shot attempts.  I think in one game he got 3 and in the next contest he got 4 ::).

Buddy Hield, Ingram, and Bender have been awful, and Brown was, as well, until the last two games, I guess, but the guy who has been the most impressive has to be Thon Maker, hands down, imo.  Even Skal has looked great, lol ;D.

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 02:05:01 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Ingram was great today. And Simmons showed a little more scoring effort too. Hield was still bad today tho. And Jaylen was pretty solid today as well.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 02:12:30 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
I really question how good a shooter Simmons is ever going to be.  Keep in mind the kid's father was a professional player.  If the kid's shooting form is fundamentally flawed he's had ample opportunity to have it corrected given his father's influence (and I'm sure connections), training advantages etc --  and yet it's still by all accounts poor.

You can improve shooting with continuous practice but only to a point.  I'm just saying that I'm not sure even becoming an average NBA shooter is a given with him. 

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 05:34:09 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Did Dejounte Murray turn it around?  The last I read he looked horrible.

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 06:29:20 AM »

Offline bowlingwarnie

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
Dave Simmons - Ben's dad, wasn't really a shooter per se- more of a banger, do it all sort of guy- got all his points via dirty work - rebounding etc
however, Ben no doubt had unlimited access to Dave's loooong time teammate, one of the greatest shooters to ever grace this earth - the one and only Mr Andrew Gaze....
why Johnny Ringo...
You look like somebody just walked over your grave

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 07:39:19 AM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
-#1 drafted Ben Simmons is basically a tall PG that can't shoot, lacks aggression to go to the basket but is a terrific ball handler , passer and rebounder.  Unless he learns how to shoot, I think he will turn out to be another Lamar Odom

#2 drafted Brandon Ingram is ways away physically. He is really thin.  If he can add weight/strength could end up being the best player of the draft. Very well rounded , length advantage and also shows good leadership skills.

-Another player that has looked impressive is Kris Dunn. As advertised looks like a strong 2 way player

-Jaylen Brown looks like a "weapon" on the offensive end much like Andrew Wiggins is for the Wolves.  These guys can score in spurts. Score difficult buckets utilizing world class athleticism.  Come up with some sensational plays. But provide very little in terms of getting teammates involved, poor overall leadership skills.

-Dejounte Murray was a steal for the Spurs.  I was stunned he dropped so hard.  One of the top 5 players of the SL

Underwhelming/inconsistent SL performances from the rest .  Especially Bender, Murray, Hield, Poeltl (top 10 picks) etc.   

Still early to definitely say this was a weak/mediocre draft class but out of the gate not impressive.

It's Summer League. Let's slow down a little bit.

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 08:16:46 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Look for preseason games. The format of summer league is horrid

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 08:20:58 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

It's Summer League. Let's slow down a little bit.
agreed.  way too early to start trashing the draft class.

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 08:44:49 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think that we'll see that the "superstar" aspect of the draft is pretty mild, but there were some great value picks outside the top 10. Dejounte Murray for instance I think is going to be a potential difference maker for a long time. Skal if he realizes that potential could be something significant. At least 2 or 3 of the Euros will pan out, with Bender and Hernangomez looking both like they have a very bright future.

I think the class is 'fine', but probably not as good as 2015's or as good as 2017's is supposed to be.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 08:50:47 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
The only concerning performance has been Hield. He's supposed to be polished and ready to contribute immediately, yet he was awful in Vegas. Even then, it's still just Summer League.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 08:59:30 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I wouldn't put Poeltl down as anywhere near a disappointment.  The guy simply hasn't gotten many shot attempts.  I think in one game he got 3 and in the next contest he got 4 ::).

Buddy Hield, Ingram, and Bender have been awful, and Brown was, as well, until the last two games, I guess, but the guy who has been the most impressive has to be Thon Maker, hands down, imo.  Even Skal has looked great, lol ;D.

Brown was really good his first game, got hurt, took a couple games to get back into it his last three games, not two.  He had a very successful summer league.  You need to learn how to evaluate players better, because your choices tend to go nowhere.

In two years, let's compare Brown, Maker, and Skal.  I'm quite sure I know which one will be better, and it's the kid drafted third.  Four years down the line, you can compare him with Dunn too.  Jaylen Brown has Kawhi Leonard written all over him.  He'll shoot over 35% from 3 in his second season, while playing quality defense.  We already know what he can do off the dribble.

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 09:00:52 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I think that we'll see that the "superstar" aspect of the draft is pretty mild, but there were some great value picks outside the top 10. Dejounte Murray for instance I think is going to be a potential difference maker for a long time. Skal if he realizes that potential could be something significant. At least 2 or 3 of the Euros will pan out, with Bender and Hernangomez looking both like they have a very bright future.

I think the class is 'fine', but probably not as good as 2015's or as good as 2017's is supposed to be.

Add Patrick McCaw to that list.

Saw all GSW Summer League games and the kid can do everything on the court, from shooting to getting to the rim to having good court vision.

And he is just 20. He looks like a first round talent.

Kay Felder and Tyler Ulis looked like seasoned pros themselves in their Summer League stints.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2016, 09:36:01 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's summer league.

KAT averaged 12 points on 39% shooting last year. Russell shot 37% and averaged just under 12ppg.  The best players were Seth Curry and Alan Williams.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2016, 09:46:56 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
So yeah, it's only SL and doesn't look represent real NBA play, blah, blah...

However, I still think SL performances give you a pretty good idea of who has the offensive tools, athleticism and physical gifts (size, length) to be successful.  Of course, it is no predictor of long-term career success.  The guys that did well will be productive NBA players or at least have some kind of NBA career because scoring is always valued.