Author Topic: Okafor - The Ringer (article)  (Read 30267 times)

Re: Okafor - The Ringer (article)
« Reply #150 on: July 30, 2016, 06:25:37 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Smart for Okafor would be a ante up from the celtics. They should offer it imo.
probably already did and were turned down.   Smart doesn't seem like he would be a good fit there.  They need elite shooting.

please they would take that in a second and you know it
I doubt it.   They have bigger priorities than backup defensive guards.

If Colangelo thought that was Smart's future, he wouldn't have named him to the USA Select Team.  But it must be nice to bloviate.
pretty well played saltlover, TP

Larbrd we get your schtick, but on this one is has been beat to death.

The USA Select team means jack squat in relation to what Philly will trade Okafor for or whether or not Marcus Smart makes sense for that team.  By that logic, Colangelo might rather have Malcom Brogdon than Marcus Smart... he's on the USA Select Team too, right guise?

my comment was in relationship to the 76ers not trading Okafor for Smart. You know enough about the celtics and 76ers and the rumors for Okafor because you follow it closely to know it would be a big shocking if the 76ers turned down that offer. Yes they probably need more offense from their guards, but they also badly need perimeter defense. Bayless, Stauskas (if that is their starters) would be the worst defensive backcourt in the league. I don't believe Rodriguez is much of a defensive player either, but don't pretend to be an expert on him.
I would find it very surprising if they accepted Smart for Okafor.  They need to surround their bigs with shooters.   Trading for Smart wouldn't make any sense.

They need back court players with talent period and they need to move a big. If you want to argue they would do it for Bradley instead because he is a better shooter period, sure, but I wouldn't do that trade. (I mean I wouldn't do smart either), but I have a really hard time believing that you think the 76ers would turn down either player for Okafor. It has to be one of the first times I can remember a team has openly acknowledged they need to move a frontcourt player because of their roster makeup.

There's easier ways to get mediocre back court players.  They don't need to give up a future star like Okafor to do it.

Lol. If you are serious and not trolling You are gonna lose it when you see what Okafor is actually traded for.
If he's traded at all, it will be for more than a role player.

Not much more than that in value imo.

He's an ancient player. One trick back to the basket pony. Not a good defender. Doesn't rebound well. Had that meniscus issue. Everyone knows Philly has a logjam and that they need a trade, so other teams have leverage and Philly doesn't. Had all those off the court issues too.

If he's traded, people are gonna be shocked at what he's traded for. It's not gonna be nearly as much as people think he's worth.
His perceived worth doesn't matter.   If we had Okafor, we wouldn't be trading him for a role player... and neither will Philly.

Reminds me of back in the early 90s when everyone was collecting comicbooks.  We all thought they were worth a lot of money.  We even had catalogs that would tell you the value of each individual comic.  As a kid, I'd check them monthly to see my prized possessions go up and down in value.   Problem was, just because they were perceived to be "worth" that much didn't mean they would actually sell for that.  If nobody was willing to pay you that type of money for your comics, they weren't actually worth that much - no matter the perception.  Eventually the charade ended and the industry crashed.

This is the reverse of that.  Just because bloggers and fans have decided Okafor is worth very little doesn't mean he can be had for very little.  You can stomp around all you want about how his trade value is low, but if Philly isn't willing to give him up for lower level talent, it doesn't matter.  And why should they?  He's a highly touted and highly drafted 2nd year prospect with star potential coming off an impressive rookie season with multiple years left on his rookie deal.  If all they can get for him is a role player, they are far better off just keeping him.  There's no point to trading him unless they are getting back what they determine is equal value.  So if they trade him at all, it's not going to be for a scrub.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 06:31:35 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #151 on: July 30, 2016, 07:02:00 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
probably already did and were turned down.   Smart doesn't seem like he would be a good fit there.  They need elite shooting.

If Colangelo thought that was Smart's future, he wouldn't have named him to the USA Select Team.  But it must be nice to bloviate.

The USA Select team means jack squat in relation to what Philly will trade Okafor for or whether or not Marcus Smart makes sense for that team.  By that logic, Colangelo might rather have Malcom Brogdon than Marcus Smart... he's on the USA Select Team too, right guise?

my comment was in relationship to the 76ers not trading Okafor for Smart. You know enough about the celtics and 76ers and the rumors for Okafor because you follow it closely to know it would be a big shocking if the 76ers turned down that offer. Yes they probably need more offense from their guards, but they also badly need perimeter defense. Bayless, Stauskas (if that is their starters) would be the worst defensive backcourt in the league. I don't believe Rodriguez is much of a defensive player either, but don't pretend to be an expert on him.
I would find it very surprising if they accepted Smart for Okafor.  They need to surround their bigs with shooters.   Trading for Smart wouldn't make any sense.

They need back court players with talent period and they need to move a big. If you want to argue they would do it for Bradley instead because he is a better shooter period, sure, but I wouldn't do that trade. (I mean I wouldn't do smart either), but I have a really hard time believing that you think the 76ers would turn down either player for Okafor. It has to be one of the first times I can remember a team has openly acknowledged they need to move a frontcourt player because of their roster makeup.

There's easier ways to get mediocre back court players.  They don't need to give up a future star like Okafor to do it.

Lol. If you are serious and not trolling You are gonna lose it when you see what Okafor is actually traded for.

He's an ancient player. One trick back to the basket pony. Not a good defender. Doesn't rebound well. Had that meniscus issue. Everyone knows Philly has a logjam and that they need a trade, so other teams have leverage and Philly doesn't. Had all those off the court issues too.

If he's traded, people are gonna be shocked at what he's traded for. It's not gonna be nearly as much as people think he's worth.
His perceived worth doesn't matter.   If we had Okafor, we wouldn't be trading him for a role player... and neither will Philly.

Reminds me of back in the early 90s when everyone was collecting comicbooks.  We all thought they were worth a lot of money.  We even had catalogs that would tell you the value of each individual comic.  As a kid, I'd check them monthly to see my prized possessions go up and down in value.   Problem was, just because they were perceived to be "worth" that much didn't mean they would actually sell for that.  If nobody was willing to pay you that type of money for your comics, they weren't actually worth that much - no matter the perception.  Eventually the charade ended and the industry crashed.

This is the reverse of that.  Just because bloggers and fans have decided Okafor is worth very little doesn't mean he can be had for very little.  You can stomp around all you want about how his trade value is low, but if Philly isn't willing to give him up for lower level talent, it doesn't matter.  And why should they?  He's a highly touted and highly drafted 2nd year prospect with star potential coming off an impressive rookie season with multiple years left on his rookie deal.  If all they can get for him is a role player, they are far better off just keeping him.  There's no point to trading him unless they are getting back what they determine is equal value.  So if they trade him at all, it's not going to be for a scrub.

You should find a hobby or something useful to do with your time. These continuous overly long nonsensical posts, whose sole motivation is only to attempt to antagonize other bloggers show you really have nothing better to do. So for that I kind of pity you, man.

« Reply #152 on: July 30, 2016, 08:51:40 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

You should find a hobby or something useful to do with your time. These continuous overly long nonsensical posts, whose sole motivation is only to attempt to antagonize other bloggers show you really have nothing better to do. So for that I kind of pity you, man.
Well Eddie, the fact that we are ALL posting on CB forums means we all need to get a life.

;)

« Reply #153 on: July 30, 2016, 09:00:56 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Well Eddie, the fact that we are ALL posting on CB forums means we all need to get a life.

;)

Perhaps, but I try to keep my posts short and straight to the point. Not only is LB nearly 18k posts in, but they're so overly verbose that it seems as though he gets paid by the word.

« Reply #154 on: July 30, 2016, 09:08:08 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
LarBrd33 post actually made alot of sense.

I found the comic book thing interesting. I should never have stopped my Wolverine collection.
The problem was I started out just collecting Wolverine.  But I got hooked  into XMen and the Uncanny XMen. And then it grew from there: XForce, XFactor, Excalibur, Generation X, New Mutants, Finally, it became too costly and I was stuck with a large collection of comic books that I thought would be worth something one day.  Ah like old albums, and books, the space they take up. And when you move, you have to carry them

If only I had just stuck to Wolverine, I'd have a complete collection.

LarBrd33 is correct,
We are not going to get Wolverine by trading New Mutants or Generation X members.
Okafor may not be Wolverine, but he is a highly skilled big man that as I recall, was up in debate with Towns for who should go number 1. (Ah those rebounds, if only Jahlil would rebound).

Still, I expect Danny to continue to collect.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #155 on: July 30, 2016, 10:00:09 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Why are there not more basketball card collectors out there? Luckily I still have my 'boring' cards from the late 80s, but the early-mid 90s with Fleer Ultra, Topps Stadium Club, Skybox, etc, man those were the best - I lived for inserts. It's too bad the value on all non-Shaq or Jordan cards tanked so badly.

« Reply #156 on: July 30, 2016, 02:11:43 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I mean the biggest issue here is the inconsistency. Yes it is factually true something doesn't have the actual value of anything until a trade or sale is completed for it. However that is not how this board works ever (and not how larbrd posts either). He has shared plenty of rumors about player trades or Okafor trades even when he liked the proposed terms more. Now that lots of writers have come out and suggested that the 76ers would trade Okafor any top 6 pick etc, he is pretending it is all nonsense.

I mean I was just reading this article from Simmons new site on proposed trades for Okafor and is it things like Okafor for McDermott and Valentine, Okafor for rozier and our lowest level prospects, Okafor for buddy hield, Okafor for oquinn and a mid first from the Knicks. You know, trades for role players. https://theringer.com/who-wants-jahlil-okafor-303e9d13169#.n1hgn0hcm

You don't see people writing articles suggesting that Chris Paul gets traded for Livingston. These rumors by NBA writers on independent site are not usually completely off. So why would they be in the case of Okafor. It is some conspiracy?

« Reply #157 on: July 30, 2016, 02:26:40 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Does Philly think Okafor would balk at a role as a 6th man playing like 24 minutes a night?  If he'd do that I feel like his highest value is to them since they have no bench whatsoever and he could carry them offensively for spurts.

« Reply #158 on: July 30, 2016, 02:47:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I mean the biggest issue here is the inconsistency. Yes it is factually true something doesn't have the actual value of anything until a trade or sale is completed for it. However that is not how this board works ever (and not how larbrd posts either). He has shared plenty of rumors about player trades or Okafor trades even when he liked the proposed terms more. Now that lots of writers have come out and suggested that the 76ers would trade Okafor any top 6 pick etc, he is pretending it is all nonsense.

I mean I was just reading this article from Simmons new site on proposed trades for Okafor and is it things like Okafor for McDermott and Valentine, Okafor for rozier and our lowest level prospects, Okafor for buddy hield, Okafor for oquinn and a mid first from the Knicks. You know, trades for role players. https://theringer.com/who-wants-jahlil-okafor-303e9d13169#.n1hgn0hcm

You don't see people writing articles suggesting that Chris Paul gets traded for Livingston. These rumors by NBA writers on independent site are not usually completely off. So why would they be in the case of Okafor. It is some conspiracy?
TP. Interesting article.

I am not a fan of Okafor's game but if this writer is correct and the Celtics could land Okafor for some combo of:

Rozier
Mickey
Hunter
Young
Jackson
Bentil
Yabusele
Zizic

and a draft pick like the Celtics 2018 pick, I would be all for it. Its a perfect consolidation trade that doesn't give up any core players or either of the two Brooklyn picks. If Philly would want some second rounders as well, give them to them.

My guess is a trade like this will happen somewhere close to the end of September when Philly really starts feeling the unbalanced roster crunch

« Reply #159 on: July 30, 2016, 03:29:46 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

TP. Interesting article.

I am not a fan of Okafor's game but if this writer is correct and the Celtics could land Okafor for some combo of:

Rozier
Mickey
Hunter
Young
Jackson
Bentil
Yabusele
Zizic

and a draft pick like the Celtics 2018 pick, I would be all for it. Its a perfect consolidation trade that doesn't give up any core players or either of the two Brooklyn picks. If Philly would want some second rounders as well, give them to them.

My guess is a trade like this will happen somewhere close to the end of September when Philly really starts feeling the unbalanced roster crunch

I don't see it happening, because the people who get paid to make NBA personnel decisions aren't as nuts as the posters of this board are when it comes to Okafor's value.

But if you could get him for a bag of Ainge's trash, by all means get him.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #160 on: July 30, 2016, 04:11:34 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
A Buddy Hield for Okafor swap would be a good deal for both teams.  Helps Philly clear up their logjam of bigs and gets them a solid shooting prospect on a rookie contract.

For NO, it gives them a solid big to pair with Davis.  Offensively those two would be something, and Davis could help cover any of Okafor's defensive issues.

« Reply #161 on: July 30, 2016, 04:38:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Eddie, as far as I can tell you only exist on this forum to whine about me.   Also, don't pitty me.  I'm level 23 in Pokemon Go.  I have plenty of other things going on in my life.

« Reply #162 on: July 30, 2016, 04:51:41 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Why are there not more basketball card collectors out there? Luckily I still have my 'boring' cards from the late 80s, but the early-mid 90s with Fleer Ultra, Topps Stadium Club, Skybox, etc, man those were the best - I lived for inserts. It's too bad the value on all non-Shaq or Jordan cards tanked so badly.
I still have all of my basketball cards from the late 80s/early 90s.  The 1990 Hoops series will always be my favorite. 

I got an entire display box for Christmas that year.   I have that entire collection.  I was like 8 years old. 

I also used to collect Marvel trading cards.  I remember being crazy excited when I got this card:

I still have all that stuff, but it's shoved in some closet aside from my autographed cards.  My wife is a bigger nerd than I am and she still collects stuff.  We have a lot of her autographed action figures displayed around the condo.    She just collects them for fun, though. She knows they aren't really worth anything unless someone is willing to pay money for them.  Just like we know Okafor isn't worthless unless Philly is willing to give him away for nothing - which they aren't.  They have said they want equal value for Okafor.   If they can't get equal value, they are best off just keeping him.  It's the same reason I have all of my comics and cards.  Sure, I could give them away for a couple bucks.  I'd much rather just let them sit in my closet getting 24-32 minutes a night playing for the 76ers. 

« Reply #163 on: July 30, 2016, 05:04:18 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
TP - LB for the Bird card. The 90-91 NBA Hoops and Fleer series were classic (Hoops was better). No inserts, but packs could be had for $.50 / pack. I have several complete series' of both types. It's when cards got more expensive that I had to be more selective.

« Reply #164 on: July 30, 2016, 05:05:29 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I still have all of my basketball cards from the late 80s/early 90s.  The 1990 Hoops series will always be my favorite. 

I got an entire display box for Christmas that year.   I have that entire collection.  I was like 8 years old. 

I also used to collect Marvel trading cards.  I remember being crazy excited when I got this card:

I still have all that stuff, but it's shoved in some closet aside from my autographed cards.  My wife is a bigger nerd than I am and she still collects stuff.  We have a lot of her autographed action figures displayed around the condo.    She just collects them for fun, though. She knows they aren't really worth anything unless someone is willing to pay money for them.  Just like we know Okafor isn't worthless unless Philly is willing to give him away for nothing - which they aren't.  They have said they want equal value for Okafor.   If they can't get equal value, they are best off just keeping him.  It's the same reason I have all of my comics and cards.  Sure, I could give them away for a couple bucks.  I'd much rather just let them sit in my closet getting 24-32 minutes a night playing for the 76ers.

Well, that's not quite true. I have cards from my family that I wouldn't give away for notging, but that doesn't mean that that have value, only that they have value to me. I don't think anyone here would pay money for one of them (unless they really want to learn my first name, but...)
I'm bitter.