Author Topic: Okafor - The Ringer (article)  (Read 30264 times)

Re: Okafor - The Ringer (article)
« Reply #135 on: July 29, 2016, 03:49:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Edit

« Reply #136 on: July 29, 2016, 04:59:31 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Smart for Okafor would be a ante up from the celtics. They should offer it imo.
probably already did and were turned down.   Smart doesn't seem like he would be a good fit there.  They need elite shooting.

please they would take that in a second and you know it
I doubt it.   They have bigger priorities than backup defensive guards.

« Reply #137 on: July 29, 2016, 05:15:54 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
probably already did and were turned down.   Smart doesn't seem like he would be a good fit there.  They need elite shooting.

If Colangelo thought that was Smart's future, he wouldn't have named him to the USA Select Team.  But it must be nice to bloviate.

« Reply #138 on: July 29, 2016, 05:40:58 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

If Colangelo thought that was Smart's future, he wouldn't have named him to the USA Select Team.  But it must be nice to bloviate.
pretty well played saltlover, TP

Larbrd we get your schtick, but on this one is has been beat to death.

« Reply #139 on: July 29, 2016, 05:44:15 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I could be wrong but I agree that they'd want something better than smart. I actually think Rozier will turn out the better player.

« Reply #140 on: July 29, 2016, 05:54:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

The USA Select team means jack squat in relation to what Philly will trade Okafor for or whether or not Marcus Smart makes sense for that team.  By that logic, Colangelo might rather have Malcom Brogdon than Marcus Smart... he's on the USA Select Team too, right guise?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 05:59:57 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #141 on: July 29, 2016, 06:11:20 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
This is a pretty interesting excerpt from the article based on pretty in depth analysis

"[The author] concluded that big men like Okafor tend to remain in the negatives in terms of defensive impact," Nick wrote. "[He] also noted that Okafor's best-case scenario is about average defensive production. The first development that needs to happen with Okafor would be an increase in effort if he is to become passable on defense."

"However, I'm a little wary about that happening," Nick continued. "Brett Brown gets his guys to play their tails off. Jah is a clear outlier in that regard."

Nick then moved to Okafor's rebounding to finish his scouting report. Okafor has deep-seated issues rebounding to, and they "revolve around poor and poor technique" according to Nick.

He cited my piece from February that concluded that Okafor's rebounding vis-a-vis his rookie peers was concerningly low. While his raw, per game rebounding totals look strong, the better statistic that determines what percentage of available rebounds he corrals sold him far short of future All-Star and All NBA players.

I'd wonder about the validity of this (edit: referring to the first sentence in bold).  If you look at RPM, very few big men have a negative DRPM, and very few have a positive ORPM.  It's the opposite for point guards.  For instance, of 71 Centers only 13 had negative DRPM's this year.  Okafor was the worst, just ahead of Kanter.  (Surprisingly WCS was fourth worst).

« Reply #142 on: July 29, 2016, 07:40:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

The USA Select team means jack squat in relation to what Philly will trade Okafor for or whether or not Marcus Smart makes sense for that team.  By that logic, Colangelo might rather have Malcom Brogdon than Marcus Smart... he's on the USA Select Team too, right guise?

my comment was in relationship to the 76ers not trading Okafor for Smart. You know enough about the celtics and 76ers and the rumors for Okafor because you follow it closely to know it would be a big shocking if the 76ers turned down that offer. Yes they probably need more offense from their guards, but they also badly need perimeter defense. Bayless, Stauskas (if that is their starters) would be the worst defensive backcourt in the league. I don't believe Rodriguez is much of a defensive player either, but don't pretend to be an expert on him.

« Reply #143 on: July 29, 2016, 07:45:24 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

my comment was in relationship to the 76ers not trading Okafor for Smart. You know enough about the celtics and 76ers and the rumors for Okafor because you follow it closely to know it would be a big shocking if the 76ers turned down that offer. Yes they probably need more offense from their guards, but they also badly need perimeter defense. Bayless, Stauskas (if that is their starters) would be the worst defensive backcourt in the league. I don't believe Rodriguez is much of a defensive player either, but don't pretend to be an expert on him.
I would find it very surprising if they accepted Smart for Okafor.  They need to surround their bigs with shooters.   Trading for Smart wouldn't make any sense.

« Reply #144 on: July 29, 2016, 07:47:55 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I would find it very surprising if they accepted Smart for Okafor.  They need to surround their bigs with shooters.   Trading for Smart wouldn't make any sense.

They need back court players with talent period and they need to move a big. If you want to argue they would do it for Bradley instead because he is a better shooter period, sure, but I wouldn't do that trade. (I mean I wouldn't do smart either), but I have a really hard time believing that you think the 76ers would turn down either player for Okafor. It has to be one of the first times I can remember a team has openly acknowledged they need to move a frontcourt player because of their roster makeup.

« Reply #145 on: July 29, 2016, 09:54:36 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Everybody's signing bigs who can rebound and "protect the rim" except for Ainge, who is sitting there with a thousand guards and not much up front except for Horford and Johnson.

Raise that Zeller Index, Danny.

« Reply #146 on: July 29, 2016, 11:02:44 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

They need back court players with talent period and they need to move a big. If you want to argue they would do it for Bradley instead because he is a better shooter period, sure, but I wouldn't do that trade. (I mean I wouldn't do smart either), but I have a really hard time believing that you think the 76ers would turn down either player for Okafor. It has to be one of the first times I can remember a team has openly acknowledged they need to move a frontcourt player because of their roster makeup.

There's easier ways to get mediocre back court players.  They don't need to give up a future star like Okafor to do it.

« Reply #147 on: July 30, 2016, 12:58:52 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

There's easier ways to get mediocre back court players.  They don't need to give up a future star like Okafor to do it.

Lol. If you are serious and not trolling You are gonna lose it when you see what Okafor is actually traded for.

« Reply #148 on: July 30, 2016, 03:14:27 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Lol. If you are serious and not trolling You are gonna lose it when you see what Okafor is actually traded for.
If he's traded at all, it will be for more than a role player.

« Reply #149 on: July 30, 2016, 04:02:31 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

If he's traded at all, it will be for more than a role player.

Not much more than that in value imo.

He's an ancient player. One trick back to the basket pony. Not a good defender. Doesn't rebound well. Had that meniscus issue. Everyone knows Philly has a logjam and that they need a trade, so other teams have leverage and Philly doesn't. Had all those off the court issues too.

If he's traded, people are gonna be shocked at what he's traded for. It's not gonna be nearly as much as people think he's worth.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about