Author Topic: Celtics (1-3) vs Blazers (1-3) Vegas SL Game 5 7/15/16  (Read 26870 times)

Celtics (1-3) vs Blazers (1-3) Vegas SL Game 5 7/15/16
« on: July 14, 2016, 11:27:33 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  vs 
Boston Celtics (1-3) vs Portland Trail Blazers (1-3)
Friday, July 15, 2016
6:00 PM ET
TV: ?
Stream:  ESPN 3
Cox Pavilion

Celtics Summer League Roster
Player..... Number

Ben Bentil 50
Jaylen Brown 9
RJ Hunter 28
Demetrius Jackson 26
Jordan Mickey 55
Malcolm Miller 48
Abdel Nader 51
Jayvaughn Pinkston 52
Terry Rozier 12
Marcus Thornton 27
Corey Walden 46
Guerschon Yabusele 30
Mouphtaou Yarou 63
James Young 13
Coach: Jamie Young

Possible Starting 5

Terry Rozier
James Young
Jaylen Brown
Guerschon Yabusele
Jordan Mickey

Trail Blazers Summer League Roster
Player    Number 

Cliff Alexander  34
Jordan Bachynski  19
Pat Connaughton  5
CJ Fair  16
Pierre Jackson  55
Chris Johnson  27
Omari Johnson  1
Jake Layman  10
Luis Montero  44
Shabazz Napier  6
Scotty Hopson  18
Russ Smith  28
Noah Vonleh  21 

Possible Starting 5
Pierre Jackson
Pat Connaughton
Jake Layman
Noah Vonleh
Jordan Bachynski

Game Notes

The Celtics final game in Vegas is a consolation game between two one win teams.  The Celtics will face off against the Portland Trail Blazers.  The Blazers have lost to the Suns, Spurs and Jazz and they beat the Jazz on a buzzer beating 3 pointer by Pat Connaughton. 

The Blazers feature 3 players who are entering their second season with the Blazers including Cliff Alexander, Pat Connaughton, and Luis Montero.  They also have Noah Vonleh, who will be entering his third season in the league.   Also playing is their only draft pick, Jake Layman, who was the 47th pick in this year's draft. 

They also have 30 year old center Chris Johnson, who played in 30 games for the Blazers from 2010-2012 and has played in Puerto Rico since.  The rest of the team is made up of various D-League players and players who have spent time in Europe or Asia.  Omair Johnson played for the Celtics' D-League in Maine. 

As with the other teams that the Celtics have played, the Trail Blazers have a height advantage over the Celtics.  They have 3 players 6'10 inches or over where the Celtics tallest player is 6'9" and they play a lot of small ball out of necessity. 

As of my posting this, there was no information posted as to where this game will be televised.  It won't be televised on NBA-TV as they have the top teams scheduled.  I checked ESPN, ESPN 2 and ESPN U and none of them had this game on their schedule as of now.  It may be televised on NBA TV on Saturday morning, but again, it isn't listed as of now.  If they post a channel for it, I will amend this thread.  It should be streamed on ESPN 3, however. 

Players to Watch

Jaylen Brown has shown improvement with each game the Celtics have played.  He should continue that trend and have a big game in this one as it is  his last game to impress in Summer League.

Terry Rozier has been the best player for the Celtics in the Summer League.  Danny Ainge has said that he is playing himself into the rotation of the Celtics.  It will be fun to watch him one more time as he continues to dominate the game.

Jordan Mickey was expected to do great things in Summer League but a shoulder injury derailed him and he hasn't seemed to get back on track.  It would be nice to see him have a big game here. 
Honorable Mention: James Young has hit some big shots but has yet to play good consistent basketball. The Celtics need to see more from him going into his 3rd year with the team.

Pat Connaughton is entering his second season with Portland.  He is averaging 12.3 points, 3.3 rebounds and 1.5 assists in Summer League.  He also hit a buzzer beater to give Portland their only win.

Pierre Jackson was considered one of the top prospects in the D-League where he played for the  Iowa Stampede.  He is averaging 12.7 points, 3.3 rebounds, 4.0 assists and 1.0 steals in Summer League for the Blazers.

Like James Young for the Celtics, Vonleh is entering his 3rd NBA season.  He is averaging 12.0 points, 8.8 rebounds, 1.3 assists, and 0.8 blocks in Summer League. 
Honorable Mention:  Jordan Bachynski - He's 7'2" tall and that's enough to keep an eye on him. 

Keys to the Game
Rebound
- The Celtics were out-rebounded by a large margin in their first two losses. It wasn't a coincidence that they out-rebounded the Mavericks and won the game. They did out rebound the Cavaliers, but let other things slip in that game.  It takes extra effort to rebound the ball and when they put out that extra effort to do so, it carries over to the rest of their game.
Defense - Defense is always key to winning whether it is in Summer League, in the regular season or in the playoffs. The Celtics need to work on the defensive end to get stops and keep the Blazers from getting easy points, especially in the paint.  They allowed way too many uncontested layuups against the Cavaliers. 
Play as a Team - The Celtics need to play as a team. They have tended to play too much one on one and hero ball so far in Vegas. They need to move the ball and find the open man.

X-Factor
Last Chance - This is the last chance for the Celtics (and the Blazers) to get a win and leave Vegas feeling good about themselves.  Which team will have the motivation to play the hardest and get the win?   

Re: Celtics (1-3) vs Blazers (1-3) Vegas SL Game 5 7/15/16
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 11:30:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Go Celtics!  Finish out summer league in style!  And TP to FL Celt for your summer league updates -- see you for the pre-season!

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 11:31:56 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Go Celtics!!!
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 11:32:54 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to saltlover for being first to post in the game thread!!!

Goooooooooooo Celtics!!! 

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 11:33:48 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
A third straight big game from Brown will have us pretty excited heading into the preseason.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 12:37:00 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Tptptptptptptptp....  Well only one at a time, but flc deserves many more tps. Thanks for the thread.

Let's see what if rozier and brown are emerging stars and take another step forward.

Goooooooooooo baby Celtics!!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 12:42:11 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Yeah baby! Playoff losers bracket summer league! Durant get any better than that!

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 09:06:24 AM »

Offline Silent Storm

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 55
Is this game not televised? I couldn't find any information about it online.
You are no longer black, or brown, or yellow, or red! You are now GREEN, you are light GREEN, or dark GREEN!

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 09:20:33 AM »

Offline Pvictor11

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 62
I thought summer league was over for us, glad to have another opportunity to watch our guys. Expecting a great game from Brown and I hope to see James Young do something to show he is alive. Call me crazy,  but I still believe he can be a good player for us
Brazilian Celtic Fan!

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 09:27:50 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

I agree Silent Storm.  If anyone knows where and how we can watch this last game, please let us know!!

Thanks,

Smitty77

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 09:28:34 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
will be on espn 3 for a free livestream
http://espn.go.com/watchespn/#type/upcoming/

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 09:29:26 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I think it'll only be online
I'm bitter.

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 09:31:02 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I thought our Summer League was over already.

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 09:33:27 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I'm guessing we'll see less of Brown and Rozier this game and more of the guys at the end of the bench.

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 09:38:25 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I thought our Summer League was over already.

This is like a consolation game. Someone made mention in another thread of how all the teams play 5 games in vegas at a minimum.
#JKJB