Author Topic: 3 Way Trade: Boston/Oklahoma/Philly  (Read 1958 times)

3 Way Trade: Boston/Oklahoma/Philly
« on: July 14, 2016, 08:59:27 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Boston sends out: Amir Johnson/Isaiah Thomas/Marcus Smart/Terry Rozier/2018 Brooklyn
Boston receives: Jahlil Okafor/Russell Westbrook

Philly sends out: Jahlil Okafor/Robert Covington
Philly receives: Isaiah Thomas

OKC sends out: Russell Westbrook
OKC receives: Amir Johnson/Marcus Smart/Robert Covington/Terry Rozier/Brooklyn 2018

Who loses?

Re: 3 Way Trade: Boston/Oklahoma/Philly
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 09:09:45 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I'd have to say okc loses because the only difference maker would really be the nets pick and I think it's too much of an unknown. I think they could get more for him.

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 09:17:39 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
OKC gets a rising player in Terry Rozier (a similar style player as RW, albeit a prospect still), a defensive #6 pick in MS, a flexible contract or serviceable big man to replace Serge Ibaka in AJ and a cost-controlled scorer on the wing in RC. Plus the added benefit of what will likely be a high lottery pick in Philly '18.

All of which is given for a 1 year rental of RW. Seems like a very god return for them.

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 09:35:37 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
For visual effect: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=htzg44r

OKC gets a rising player in Terry Rozier (a similar style player as RW, albeit a prospect still), a defensive #6 pick in MS, a flexible contract or serviceable big man to replace Serge Ibaka in AJ and a cost-controlled scorer on the wing in RC. Plus the added benefit of what will likely be a high lottery pick in Philly '18.

All of which is given for a 1 year rental of RW. Seems like a very god return for them.

The problem is that we wouldn't trade that much for a 1 year rental.  If Westbrook gives us a guarantee he'll resign here at the max then we'd move the 2018 pick. Otherwise it's too much of a gamble for one year of contending against the super team out West.

FWIW Philly probably also says no. They send out two young guys on great contracts for one guy who doesn't fit their timeline at all. I think they'd think about it because of their need at PG, but ultimately decline.

If we did manage to snare Westbrook there is no way I want Okafor. Westbrook needs to play in tempo and Okafor lives in concrete shoes. Give me:

IT
AB
RWB
JC
Horford

Fun fact, Westbrook's rebound rate was equal to the best SF in the league last year. Coincidentally that was Kevin Durant.

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 09:43:13 AM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
It seems that this defeats the goal of putting a high profile SG next to IT4 and Horford.  I really don't want Westbrook running the point exclusively, as his iso game would destroy our ball movement.  However, if we run a two PG backcourt of IT4 and Westbrook, and they buy into moving the ball, that could be a lethal backcourt.

My trade idea with these three teams is as follows:

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6709108

Phila sends Okafor, receives Smart and Rozier

OKC sends Westbrook, receives Okafor, Bradley, Olynyk, and Young

BOS sends Bradley, Smart, Olynyk, Rozier, and Young, and receives Westbrook

Although I hate what we give up in this trade, we get back a top wing player in the NBA to put next to IT4 and Horford, WITHOUT losing our Brkln draft picks or Amir Johnson's tradeable contract.  This gives us flexibility to trade for yet another disgruntled star at the deadline (Boogie?) while still having the money next offseason to go after yet another star (Warriors have a big 4, why can't we pull off a big 5?  Time to channel the luck of Red!)

PHILA solves its surplus of bigs by acquiring two promising young guards.

OKC gets a stud sophomore bigman, a young-but-veteran 3 and D SG, and role players.  This team might demand at least one draft pick to sweeten the pot, but perhaps Memphis' draft pick gets it done...

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 01:35:40 PM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 7
Ainge would never do the Philly deal.  Tbh i don't like the idea of losing our two best players.  I would not want to send out Smart & Thomas.  Trading Thomas for Okafor would be an awful movie imo.

I like the idea of screwedupmaniac buying cheap on Okafor and then flipping him, but in screwedupmaniac's  idea we are not buying cheap on okafor lol.  I would not give up Smart.  Maybe Rozier, choice of mickey/yabusele/hunter, and future (NOT brooklyn draft picks) would be more plausible.  Not only that but OKC would NEVER accept that package for Westbrook.

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 07:28:26 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Just like in the movie Point Break: "In this game we both lose."

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 11:43:40 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I think whilst we don't lose the trade, our rep takes a hit. We've used IT as our poster boy and main spokesman, to trade him like that would indicate we have no loyalty to players. Probably something we can recover from but considering the time we've invested in building that identity I doubt it would happen in the first place