Author Topic: Why Sacremento should trade with us - their 2017 1st rounder is owed to Chicago  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I have not seen anyone else make this point and there is no "Trade for Cousins" thread, so I'm posting this here.

So look at this:

2017 first round draft pick to Chicago
Sacramento's 1st round pick to Chicago (via Cleveland) protected for selections 1-10 in 2017; if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Sacramento will instead convey its 2017 2nd round pick to Chicago protected for selections 56-60 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Sacramento's obligation to Chicago will be extinguished) [Cleveland-Sacramento, 6/30/2011; Chicago-Cleveland, 1/7/2014]

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

So basically, they have every incentive to tank next year and it's a totally loaded draft.  They seem to be inexplicably lining themselves up for the 11th or 12th pick right now though!  If they just tank this year, they only give up a second rounder.

If we traded them Smart + Amir + 2017 BK, then they could roll something like this out to start 2018:

PG: Markelle Fultz / Temple
SG: Marcus Smart / McLemore
SF: Jonathan Issac / Matt Barnes
PF: WCS / Casspi / Tolliver
C: Georgios Papagiannis / Koufos

Now that's a real team, right?  This is also assuming that they trade Rudy Gay and get a pick back or something. They could even do better than that and get Jackson or Giles.  That team above is a conservative guess at what they'd end up with.  Isn't that better than keeping Cousins and not getting a draft pick?  What am I missing here?  They'd have cap space galore on top of that.

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
The pick is Top 10 protected. They've landed in the top 10 just fine with him there.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
The pick is Top 10 protected. They've landed in the top 10 just fine with him there.

They've picked 8-6-8 the last 3 years.  Then they added Afflalo.  I really can't believe how short sighted their moves are - they're totally playing with fire this season if they go forward as is.

The funniest part is that they owe the pick from this trade in 2011: http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2011/06/cavs_may_trade_jj_hickson_to_k.html

Where they got Omri Casspi for JJ Hickson + this pick.  Granted, that was before Vivec, but man that team has such a history...

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Philly also has the ability to switch picks with them next year if their pick is higher than Philly's pick.

So they're pretty much screwed all around. They'll either get a middling mid-lottery pick or not one at all. They should want our 2017 pick swap for that.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Really, what else should they do at this point?  I think their best chance is to sneak into the playoffs this season, because hopefully they finally have a real coach whom they'll let do his job without interference.  And the hopefully they can convince Boogie after a successful season that things are finally going upwards, and get him to sign an extension next summer.

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Redacted

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I just looked at their roster and what I can't understand is why they are hoarding so many big men.

Cousins ($17M), Koufos ($8M), Cauley-Stein ($3.5M), Papagiannis and Labissiere are all centers in the NBA today.  Plus Tolliver ($7.8 M) and Casspi ($3M) who I think of more as a PF and Rudy Gay who can also play the small-ball PF position.

Probably what other teams say when they look at the Celtics.  It's almost like these two teams would make great trade partners...
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Really, what else should they do at this point?  I think their best chance is to sneak into the playoffs this season, because hopefully they finally have a real coach whom they'll let do his job without interference.  And the hopefully they can convince Boogie after a successful season that things are finally going upwards, and get him to sign an extension next summer.

I think the chances of that are extremely slim. Even the most optimistic fan wouldn't have them in the top 8 or even 9. They'd have to bank on injuries.