Author Topic: IDEA: Could we get Westbrook AND cousins/Griffin?  (Read 3010 times)

IDEA: Could we get Westbrook AND cousins/Griffin?
« on: July 13, 2016, 01:28:09 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
Lot of rumors out there...wonder what it would take and what we would have left for two of these guys while keeping IT and Horford.

I am not going through to make sure this matches up for salary bc it seems like we have "filler" between JJ, Amir, etc to help match deals up.

Could OKC be enticed by Smart or Jaylen and2018 BK plus filler as the primary pieces?

Could Sac be enticed by 2017 BK and smart or Jaylen and filler? That's two big pieces back for each plus filler to make it work.  Sending 2017 to sac bc cousins has a longer deal.

Would leave us with IT Westbrook Crowder Horford and Cousins.  Off the bench still have Bradley, rozier, Mickey, olynyk, young, yabusele, bentil, Jackson.  Even if one of rozier or olynyk has to go plus young, that starting five can contend.  I assume crowder will be the piece one or both demand that in leaving out but wonder if we could get away with keeping one of him smart and Jaylen if we Part with both BK picks.

Wonder if the "delay" is Danny trying to make the pieces fit to get two of these guys at the same time....

Re: IDEA: Could we get Westbrook AND cousins/Griffin?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 01:30:02 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
There's no way you're getting two of those three guys without giving up at least one of Thomas or Crowder. Bradley would also probably be gone.

You have to give up something good to get something good and I don't see any way the Celtics keep their two best players while also acquiring Westbrook and Cousins or Griffin.

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 01:35:50 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
There's no way you're getting two of those three guys without giving up at least one of Thomas or Crowder. Bradley would also probably be gone.

You have to give up something good to get something good and I don't see any way the Celtics keep their two best players while also acquiring Westbrook and Cousins or Griffin.

I mean OKC would have to consider smart (played college ball at OK ST so perhaps more willing to stay long term), 2018 unprotected BK and say olynyk for one year of Westbrook wouldn't they?

Sac is the harder one.  But Jaylen brown plus a 2017 unprotected pick is a hell of a start IMO.  Throw in rozier or Bradley and yeah I just think there's a chance.

These teams will absolutely beg for crowder but just wonder if something could get down without him.

I feel like this biggest deterrent against this is the lakers overpaying for one of them in fear we get both.  Bc if the lakers really stepped up and included Ingram in offers then yeah an offer of ours without crowder too won't get it done.

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 01:41:35 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

I mean OKC would have to consider smart (played college ball at OK ST so perhaps more willing to stay long term), 2018 unprotected BK and say olynyk for one year of Westbrook wouldn't they?

Sac is the harder one.  But Jaylen brown plus a 2017 unprotected pick is a hell of a start IMO.  Throw in rozier or Bradley and yeah I just think there's a chance.

These teams will absolutely beg for crowder but just wonder if something could get down without him.

I feel like this biggest deterrent against this is the lakers overpaying for one of them in fear we get both.  Bc if the lakers really stepped up and included Ingram in offers then yeah an offer of ours without crowder too won't get it done.

You're operating in a vacuum. The reality is that there are going to be bidding wars for both of those guys and their teams have glaring holes that (will) need to be filled. In OKC's case, if they trade Westbrook, they'll need a point guard and a small forward, NOT another big. In Sacramento's case, they'd need a big.

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 01:45:08 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford

You're operating in a vacuum. The reality is that there are going to be bidding wars for both of those guys and their teams have glaring holes that (will) need to be filled. In OKC's case, if they trade Westbrook, they'll need a point guard and a small forward, NOT another big. In Sacramento's case, they'd need a big.

Ok we'll send rozier Jaylen and 2018 to OKC and smart olynyk and 2017 to sactown then.  The pieces can be moved for the needs of the teams.  I'm also assuming JJ and Amir (and Zeller?) get dealt as part of this too which can help. Just not laying it all out.

But I agree w your point that I'm operating in a vacuum and someone is likely to outbid us for one of them especially if we won't trade crowder or IT.

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 02:38:00 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Yes if the league decides to conspire against Cavs and Warriors.

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 02:45:21 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Lot of rumors out there...wonder what it would take and what we would have left for two of these guys while keeping IT and Horford.

I am not going through to make sure this matches up for salary bc it seems like we have "filler" between JJ, Amir, etc to help match deals up.

Could OKC be enticed by Smart or Jaylen and2018 BK plus filler as the primary pieces?

Could Sac be enticed by 2017 BK and smart or Jaylen and filler? That's two big pieces back for each plus filler to make it work.  Sending 2017 to sac bc cousins has a longer deal.

Would leave us with IT Westbrook Crowder Horford and Cousins.  Off the bench still have Bradley, rozier, Mickey, olynyk, young, yabusele, bentil, Jackson.  Even if one of rozier or olynyk has to go plus young, that starting five can contend.  I assume crowder will be the piece one or both demand that in leaving out but wonder if we could get away with keeping one of him smart and Jaylen if we Part with both BK picks.

Wonder if the "delay" is Danny trying to make the pieces fit to get two of these guys at the same time....

Nope

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 03:12:49 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Could theoretically do both.

Amir, Smart, Brown, picks for Westbrook

Bradley, Jerebko, Young, Rozier, picks for Griffin and Dawson (throw in)

Each team gets multiple picks including a Nets pick as well as two young players (Smart/Brown or Bradley/Rozier)   the other guys are filler to match salaries.

Not saying that the other teams would go for it, but I think it is possible in a vacuum.

Would be left with IT, Westbrook, Crowder, Griffin, Horford  (AMAZING starting 5) and a bench full of rookies and 2nd year players.

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 03:14:40 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Ya we could, but idk/think it will happen. Unfortunately, we did not get Cousins before Durant signed with OKC bc that would have been too hard for him to pass IMO.....

The best thing would be to sign a FA next summer after we do trades so we can make the best FA destination for next season. Having Cousins or even Okafor would help IMO. If Okafor comes back with the first year of experience and more physically mature, I think he will play much better for us, especially with the 3 point shooters we have on the team/starting line-up.

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 03:52:17 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Posted this in the Westbrook thread... deal Brown and non-BRK picks for Westbrook. Brown makes sense for them- uber athletic rebuilding piece, and they get multiple extra 1sts.

Then get Griffin for Bradley, BRK18 and salary filler.

Jaylen Brown, Amir Johnson, Clippers 1st, Memphis 1st for Westbrook
Avery Bradley, James Young, Jonas Jerebko, RJ Hunter, BRK 18 for Blake Griffin

Lineup: Westbrook, Smart, Crowder, Griffin, Horford
Bench: IT, Rozier, KO, Mickey, Bentil/Yabusele, Zeller, vet(s)

That starting lineup looks better than last year's OKC to me. You've got Smart in for Roberson (nice upgrade), Griffin taking the Durant role (slight downgrade but might fit nicely), Crowder for Ibaka (even), and Horford for Adams (nice upgrade). Deeper, better bench as well with IT as the 6th man.

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 04:36:19 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Posted this in the Westbrook thread... deal Brown and non-BRK picks for Westbrook. Brown makes sense for them- uber athletic rebuilding piece, and they get multiple extra 1sts.

Then get Griffin for Bradley, BRK18 and salary filler.

Jaylen Brown, Amir Johnson, Clippers 1st, Memphis 1st for Westbrook
Avery Bradley, James Young, Jonas Jerebko, RJ Hunter, BRK 18 for Blake Griffin

Lineup: Westbrook, Smart, Crowder, Griffin, Horford
Bench: IT, Rozier, KO, Mickey, Bentil/Yabusele, Zeller, vet(s)

That starting lineup looks better than last year's OKC to me. You've got Smart in for Roberson (nice upgrade), Griffin taking the Durant role (slight downgrade but might fit nicely), Crowder for Ibaka (even), and Horford for Adams (nice upgrade). Deeper, better bench as well with IT as the 6th man.
IMO Jaylen may be viewed more highly by DA and us than other GM's. It's a huge reason why many of us were angry that if he knew Jaylen was his guy then trade down 5/6/7 or select Dunn to make a future trade and keep the value of the #3 overall pick. Selecting Brown did not keep the value of the #3 overall pick IMO and actually I can say the same for the #16 as well...Yab. And we gave away the #31st pick which was a very good value pick with DD.

Okafor was available straight up for Dunn, we could have gotten him for less though, and that would have helped increase value and also prey on Philly's situation right now w/ Saric coming over and more reports of them trying like hell to trade a Center.