Author Topic: In the next major trade, Olynyk's a goner  (Read 3321 times)

Re: In the next major trade, Olynyk's a goner
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 10:02:09 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Olynyk is a great dribbler for his size ( head up) and a very good passer. I think having a better interior guy to pass to will make Kelly more effective. Time will tell though.

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2016, 10:06:23 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
There is a reason Olynyk was a part of the meeting for Horford and Durant. He's not going anywhere.

In fact, if he comes back in time I think he will start next to Horford (I'm still skeptical of a trade)
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2016, 10:22:54 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Too much homer in this thread defending KO's skill set. Misses the point.

Of the Cs regular rotation players, who would the Cs rather give up than Olynyk? Smart? Nope. Bradley? Nope. Crowder? Nope. Horford? Nope? Thomas? Nope. Johnson? Maybe, but he's less valuable due to contract / age. Jerebko? Maybe, but he's also less valuable due to contract / age.

Now youngs. Brown? Nope. Rozier? Doubt it. Mickey? Debatable, but I doubt it. 

Everything else falls in a diffent category. Young and Hunter don't yet qualify, and all else is a recent pick or a future pick.

Anyone care to address this?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2016, 10:25:25 AM »

Offline i believe in brad

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30

Of the Cs regular rotation players, who would the Cs rather give up than Olynyk? Smart? Nope. Bradley? Nope. Crowder? Nope. Horford? Nope? Thomas? Nope. Johnson? Maybe, but he's less valuable due to contract / age. Jerebko? Maybe, but he's also less valuable due to contract / age.

Everything else falls in a diffent category. Young and Hunter don't yet qualify, and all else is a recent pick or a future pick.

I completely agree. 

Also, a little off-topic but I sometimes see people throwing around Rozier's name like he's a throw-in these days and I cringe.  I don't think he should be considered a throw-in anymore.

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2016, 10:43:32 AM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 124
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
I think KO could be a little bit vulnerable because of his cap hold hit next summer.  If we want to take a run at a 10 max FA player next summer, C's will have to clear some cap space.  Obviously Amir and JJ would be gone, probably Young too.  There will be a cap hold in the 5 to 5.5 mil range for the Nets 1st rd pick, so there will still be some cutting needed.  If KO does not step it up this year he could be at risk.

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2016, 10:57:58 AM »

Offline ABOS (A bit of Sanity)

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13

Ya i think its presumptuous to know who the Cs would rather give up in a trade. You state it as facts but its just your opinion.  Also its relative to value KO might be not enough on his own or two much when added with say Crowder. Also maybe a team wants a specific skill set and wants crowder or smart but already has a stretch big so there is no use for KO.

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2016, 11:05:08 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

What's there to address? You'd give up whatever the other team wants, that's not a musical wish. If they want Olynyk and won't budge, you'll either give up Olynyk or not do the trade.

About the other pieces, Rozier and Smart are probably redundant, and Mickey has no trade value. And if you're trading for a team-changing star player, you'd probably give up any of the solid citizens in the starting lineup they're asking for.

The tread doesn't miss the point, it's just that there isn't much of a point to boot.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2016, 11:05:31 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I think Danny loves Kelly. I think Kelly's teammates love Kelly. When he gets out of his own head, he's a game-changer. He's important to this team.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2016, 11:13:44 AM »

Offline Silent Storm

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 55
As much as I dislike Olynyk's inability to rebound and his overall soft style of play, I believe he's here to stay. Danny would not have brought Olynyk and Smart to the free agent meetings with Durant and Horford if he wasn't selling them as the future of the team.
You are no longer black, or brown, or yellow, or red! You are now GREEN, you are light GREEN, or dark GREEN!

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2016, 11:22:13 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
As much as I dislike Olynyk's inability to rebound and his overall soft style of play, I believe he's here to stay. Danny would not have brought Olynyk and Smart to the free agent meetings with Durant and Horford if he wasn't selling them as the future of the team.

This is ridiculous. Smart and Olynyk are untouchable because they went to a Durant meeting? If the Kings call and ask for Okynyk in a Cousins deal, we're going to deem it a deal breaker?

Ainge probably figured it'd boost the trade value of both Olynyk and Smart to put them in that position.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2016, 11:33:46 AM »

Offline Silent Storm

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 55

This is ridiculous. Smart and Olynyk are untouchable because they went to a Durant meeting? If the Kings call and ask for Okynyk in a Cousins deal, we're going to deem it a deal breaker?

Ainge probably figured it'd boost the trade value of both Olynyk and Smart to put them in that position.

Where in my post does it say that anyone is untouchable in a trade? Being sold as the future of the team and being untouchable are unrelated, and all I said is that I believe Olynyk is here to stay relative to the other assets on the roster. Bringing those players to the meetings would not boost their trade value, NBA GM's are not gullible enough for that to make a difference.
You are no longer black, or brown, or yellow, or red! You are now GREEN, you are light GREEN, or dark GREEN!

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2016, 11:34:25 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
What's there to address? You'd give up whatever the other team wants, that's not a musical wish. If they want Olynyk and won't budge, you'll either give up Olynyk or not do the trade.

Really? You make it sounds like GMs are calling Danny offering their stars, which is almost certainly the opposite of the truth.

In reality, Ainge is the one building packages to offer for the likes of a Butler, Griffin, Cousins, etc. So he is in fact having to prioritize his assets based on existing skill set, potential upside, contract, health and team structure... then making proposals, not calling GMs and asking them to bid against themselves.

So the point you belittle remains. It's in the Celtics court to entice opposing GMs to trade their veteran players. My argument is that Olynyk is likely the most attractive externally of the rookie contract assets, along with Smart. And I believe the Cs would rather trade KO than Marcus, unless they're trading for a starting guard.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2016, 11:36:35 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Where in my post does it say that anyone is untouchable in a trade? Being sold as the future of the team and being untouchable are unrelated, and all I said is that I believe Olynyk is here to stay relative to the other assets on the roster. Bringing those players to the meetings would not boost their trade value, NBA GM's are not gullible enough for that to make a difference.

You said Ainge would never have brought him to the meetings if he wasn't the future of the team. I call that naive, just as I do your assessment of NBA GMs on the whole.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2016, 11:38:26 AM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
The only reason I fell Kelly would be included is because he is due for a payday next year........And Danny would rather get a bargain for some older and matches his skill set, or the player coming back would play the PF/C spot.     

Not to mention he is hurt and won't play up to his skill set until Feb/March.    The guys has talents and might earn contract this year.  But unless he really proves himself this year he "should" be included in a trade for that reason only.   

But I'm no expert and have no clue what Danny/Brad thinks of KO.   I do know they wish he stayed healthier and was more aggressive.   
Diggles

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2016, 11:39:35 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Yes. Danny wont give up KO for Cousins

One player is rule abiding, good teammate, unique skills

While the other a talent . But is a cancer in the dressing room