Author Topic: In the next major trade, Olynyk's a goner  (Read 3322 times)

In the next major trade, Olynyk's a goner
« on: July 13, 2016, 09:07:24 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
The Cs are suddenly pretty flush at the 4, with Horford (in spots), JJ (better than Olynyk?), Crowder (in spots), and Johnson (in spots) as vets, plus Yabu, Bentil and Zizic recently drafted. There's also a few interesting FA options out there, including A Randolph.

If the Cs trade for a PF like Griffin, I think it's a given KO goes in the deal. But even if they traded for Cousins or Westbrook, I still think he's the first rookie contract in the deal.

I also believe that if they trade for a 'star' they'll reluctantly let Smart go over trading the Nets 2017 pick.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: In the next major trade, Olynyk's a goner
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 09:14:20 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
The Cs are suddenly pretty flush at the 4, with Horford (in spots), JJ (better than Olynyk?), Crowder (in spots), and Johnson (in spots) as vets, plus Yabu, Bentil and Zizic recently drafted. There's also a few interesting FA options out there, including A Randolph.

If the Cs trade for a PF like Griffin, I think it's a given KO goes in the deal. But even if they traded for Cousins or Westbrook, I still think he's the first rookie contract in the deal.

I also believe that if they trade for a 'star' they'll reluctantly let Smart go over trading the Nets 2017 pick.

Agree with your conclusion (likely to be included in a major trade) but disagree with your evidence: JJ not better than Olynyk, Bentil won't even make the team, Zizic is a true center, not even close to the skill set of Kelly (has he ever taken a 3??), and Yabu, who I really like, is not likely to play with the team this season.

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 09:39:26 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Can't disagree more. Horford apparently has huge respect for Olynyk, rightly or wrongly. And you can make the case that the two of them would thrive together, being able to switch seamlessly between guarding the 4 and 5 positions, and with both able to shoot from distance.

Frustrating as he might be, Olynyk is a 7-footer who's good fundamentally, stretches the floor, and plays solid team defense. Assuming he's healthy he could be a major piece on a contending team. I'm not saying he's untouchable, but I don't think Ainge would part with him very easily.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 09:43:57 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Agree with your conclusion (likely to be included in a major trade) but disagree with your evidence: JJ not better than Olynyk, Bentil won't even make the team, Zizic is a true center, not even close to the skill set of Kelly (has he ever taken a 3??), and Yabu, who I really like, is not likely to play with the team this season.

Never said each of these players had the same skill set as Olynyk. Some bring KO's strength -- 3 point shooting -- to the table, some don't. My point is the team has invested heavily in the position. I forgot to mention Mickey.

As for Jerebko, he certainly offers far greater versatility and foot speed. If Olynyk is "better", the margin is pretty slim when you factor Kelly's inconsistency and injuries.

Re: Yabu and even Bentil, if the Cs did indeed trade 3-4 players in a package for a highly paid vet, one of those two is making the team this year.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 09:44:39 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
It would be tough for this team to give up his ability to hit 3's given that accuracy from out there is one of their weaknesses.

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 09:45:36 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
No

KO is here to stay

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 09:45:38 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't think KO is a goner in a trade by any means.  he's not untouchable but it would depend on who we're getting back in the deal.  if it's 4/5, I think KO is probably included.  if it's a PG or swing man, no, he's likely staying.

I don't think KO has a high value around the league -- not because of his skills, but because of his inconsistency.  it's that same reason that he'd even be considered in a trade.

as for the Smart comment, I think that's probably true regarding the 2017 Nets pick but probably not the 2018 pick (at this point -- if we still have both after this season and the Nets suffer another futile offseason next year, that 2018 probably goes nowhere). 

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 09:47:30 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Horford apparently has huge respect for Olynyk, rightly or wrongly.

Link?

The point is not that Olynyk isn't good or valuable. The point is the Cs will have to give value to get it. And the Cs have relative depth at the position.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 09:49:29 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I'd love Olynyk to stay. I think he'll be a great support player. Maybe a 6 man candidate some day. I'd part with smart before Olynyk.

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 09:50:19 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
as for the Smart comment, I think that's probably true regarding the 2017 Nets pick but probably not the 2018 pick (at this point -- if we still have both after this season and the Nets suffer another futile offseason next year, that 2018 probably goes nowhere).

Agree
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 09:52:08 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

First, Olynyk currently projects to be your backup 5. And then, neither of the new guys is ready to play. In reality, your big rotation right now is Amir, Horford, and Olynyk (and Jerebko, provided they're ready to give up the JJ at the 3 failed experiment). That's not enough -- we need to sign rotation bigs, not get rid of them.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 09:56:14 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Too much homer in this thread defending KO's skill set. Misses the point.

Of the Cs regular rotation players, who would the Cs rather give up than Olynyk? Smart? Nope. Bradley? Nope. Crowder? Nope. Horford? Nope? Thomas? Nope. Johnson? Maybe, but he's less valuable due to contract / age. Jerebko? Maybe, but he's also less valuable due to contract / age.

Now youngs. Brown? Nope. Rozier? Doubt it. Mickey? Debatable, but I doubt it. 

Everything else falls in a diffent category. Young and Hunter don't yet qualify, and all else is a recent pick or a future pick.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 09:56:37 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Horford apparently has huge respect for Olynyk, rightly or wrongly.

Link?

The point is not that Olynyk isn't good or valuable. The point is the Cs will have to give value to get it. And the Cs have relative depth at the position.

Horford mentioned him by name several times during his introductory press conference. I don't have the exact quotes, sorry.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 09:59:14 AM »

Offline i believe in brad

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30

Unless I'm going crazy, I think we'd all rather give Smart over trading the Nets 2017 pick?  The issue is the other team also wants the 2017 pick over Smart.

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 09:59:27 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Unless Ainge has another trade to get a shooter, Olynyk may be one of the most important players on our team, not because of talent level, but because of our dearth of shooting in the rest of the linup.