Author Topic: Baseball is annoying  (Read 5856 times)

Baseball is annoying
« on: July 12, 2016, 07:38:01 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Doesn't everyone know Ortiz has been on the juice? All this hoopla before with the media saying, " we had our heads in the sand", and now all this praise again? There's obviously peds being used throughout sports but it's just so blatantly obvious in the sport of baseball and with Ortiz. The love fest is gross. He's a cheater.

Re: Baseball is annoying
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 08:03:30 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
why so salty? Unlike basketball and football they have suspended tons of players in the MLB including some major stars that were very embarrassing for the league to suspend (Think Braun). Do you think Ortiz is just a genius on this stuff and is dodging it all in his age 40 season? Lets not forget a thought to be good guy ended his career on the suspended list about 6 years back when he seemed to be inching towards the Hall of Fame (Palmeiro) while others (Manny) were suspended repeatedly. Why is Ortiz the enemy and magic man that can't get caught? 

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 09:16:23 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The PED question is interesting because of the varied definitions of "performance-enhancing" and "drugs." Some people, quite literally, can't get going in the morning without caffeine. They can't perform without it. And caffeine is a drug. So for them, caffeine (usually in the form of coffee) is a performance-enhancing drug.

And what about human growth hormone (HGH)? A lot of people use it because it speeds up the healing process. Isn't that a good thing? I think so.

Andro wasn't banned by MLB when McGwire was using it, so I can't see how his use of it can be held against him.

Maybe guys shouldn't use Icy Hot, because it contains drugs and it helps them feel better, thus enhancing their performance.

From where I sit, it's hard to know where to draw the line on what's acceptable vs. unacceptable, fairly enhancing performance vs. unfairly enhancing performance. Why is weight training allowed? Imagine how many fewer homers McGwire would've hit if he'd never lifted weights. Imagine how many more Babe Ruth would've hit if he had today's weightlifting and strength training technology.

Critics say using PEDs is cheating because it's like finding talent in a bottle. Well, I find headache relief in a bottle (of ibuprofen), and that enhances my performance at work.

On top of that, guys have to have talent to be in the pros in the first place; it's not like Joe Schmo can hop on a roid regimen and become an all-star.

I understand that certain substances enhance people in certain physical ways that lead to out-of-place results—think Brady Anderson hitting 50 home runs. I also understand that guys need to stay away from unhealthy things—anabolic steroids will mess you up and eventually kill you. But what about things that enhance performance while not hurting or killing? And if those things are allowed to all players, then no one is at an unfair advantage.

I fully admit to being a Sox homer, but David Ortiz has never been caught using something that was illegal at the time he was using it, and he's been tested a billion times.

He's also one of the greatest hitters of all time, bar none. Period.

And it's not like baseball is the only pro sport that faces this issue, so why pick on baseball?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 09:31:14 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Im not really big into baseball, but I try to base my assumptions on performance enhancers off whether it causes long term damage to the body. I also mean in the blatant ways, like steroids or blood doping.
#JKJB

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 09:36:06 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
why so salty? Unlike basketball and football they have suspended tons of players in the MLB including some major stars that were very embarrassing for the league to suspend (Think Braun). Do you think Ortiz is just a genius on this stuff and is dodging it all in his age 40 season? Lets not forget a thought to be good guy ended his career on the suspended list about 6 years back when he seemed to be inching towards the Hall of Fame (Palmeiro) while others (Manny) were suspended repeatedly. Why is Ortiz the enemy and magic man that can't get caught?

TP - While I watch the Sox, I generally agree that baseball can be annoying (and slow!), the Ortiz hate and the basis of this thread make little sense.

rocknroll - I appreciate your effort and agree that the term 'performance enhancing' is all relative, but it's pretty clear that if you are shooting up into your ass or digesting illegal pills that will drastically change what could naturally occur in your body, then you are doing something wrong. I get that everybody wants an edge, but hard physical work with perhaps some caffeine, creatine, and protein powder should probably be the limit.

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 09:45:58 PM »

• Satch Sanders

TP - While I watch the Sox, I generally agree that baseball can be annoying (and slow!), the Ortiz hate and the basis of this thread make little sense.

rocknroll - I appreciate your effort and agree that the term 'performance enhancing' is all relative, but it's pretty clear that if you are shooting up into your ass or digesting illegal pills that will drastically change what could naturally occur in your body, then you are doing something wrong. I get that everybody wants an edge, but hard physical work with perhaps some caffeine, creatine, and protein powder should probably be the limit.

If it's already illegal, then yeah, don't use it, or risk being called a cheater. But I dislike it when people label players "cheaters" for using stuff that wasn't illegal at the time of use (like with McGwire and andro).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 09:55:27 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

If it's already illegal, then yeah, don't use it, or risk being called a cheater. But I dislike it when people label players "cheaters" for using stuff that wasn't illegal at the time of use (like with McGwire and andro).

The stuff Bonds took wasn't illegal at the time, he got vilified despite maybe being the greatest ball player of em all.  Im just glad I got to watch him do his thing.  Utterly amazing the way you literally couldn't throw him a strike without him squaring it out and into SF Bay. 

The other thing that bothers me about this debate --- it's always the hitters who get ragged on but reality is most pitchers used too.   Level playing field of you ask me, especially around the 2000's. 

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 10:25:01 PM »

• Satch Sanders

The stuff Bonds took wasn't illegal at the time, he got vilified despite maybe being the greatest ball player of em all.  Im just glad I got to watch him do his thing.  Utterly amazing the way you literally couldn't throw him a strike without him squaring it out and into SF Bay. 

The other thing that bothers me about this debate --- it's always the hitters who get ragged on but reality is most pitchers used too.   Level playing field of you ask me, especially around the 2000's.

Good point about pitchers. Clemens has been targeted, but that's about it.

The thing is, with so many players using, nothing really changed, relatively speaking—the scrubs who used were still scrubs, and the Hall of Famers who used were still Hall of Famers. Maybe the overall standard of performance shifted, but it shifted pretty much equally for everybody.

I dislike Bonds, but I won't deny that he's one of the best players ever, PEDs or not. Same with A-Rod.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 01:51:16 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I'm not even a baseball fan. I'm not arguing how much peds help its just that some guys get bagged and some don't and to think Ortiz is doing it all straight is just ridiculous to me. I'm more annoyed at the sport and media, fans in general trying to say he's NOT using anything. To me, that's ridiculous.

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 01:56:22 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm not even a baseball fan. I'm not arguing how much peds help its just that some guys get bagged and some don't and to think Ortiz is doing it all straight is just ridiculous to me. I'm more annoyed at the sport and media, fans in general trying to say he's NOT using anything. To me, that's ridiculous.

Where's the evidence that he's using?  Besides the fact that he's having a heckuva year at age 40?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 02:02:03 PM »

Offline Shoot the J

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 33

I happen to think he's just really good at baseball.

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 02:04:51 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
Of course Ortiz is on roids.  But everyone love Big Papi so no one cares.  You perception by the media and fans dictates what you can and cannot get away with.  It annoys the hell out of me too. 

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 02:08:55 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95

Where's the evidence that he's using?  Besides the fact that he's having a heckuva year at age 40?

Does the fact that he failed a PED test count as evidence?  Because he did.  MLBs PED testing isn't particularly good.  A-Rod is the face of PED use in modern baseball and he NEVER failed a test. 

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 02:10:10 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Threads like this are annoying.  No proof, just guessing and hate.

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 02:15:35 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Does the fact that he failed a PED test count as evidence?  Because he did.  MLBs PED testing isn't particularly good.  A-Rod is the face of PED use in modern baseball and he NEVER failed a test.

13 years ago.  Which was also pre-screening program.   So that automatically correlates to him cheating now?  Ah, got it.   Again, I'll ask where is your evidence that "Ortiz is on 'roids"? Your words, not mine. 

Bonds is more the face of PED use in modern baseball than A-Rod.  Heck, your could argue McGwire, Sosa, & Palmeiro as well.  A-Rod is more of just a punchline at this point.   

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team