Author Topic: Baseball is annoying  (Read 5897 times)

Re: Baseball is annoying
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 02:20:16 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
He looked done over 5 years ago and all of a sudden he's great again. People cite some weight loss. Ya. Ok. Come on now. Lol. I'm not saying he's unique. Just the opposite. I think it's rampant throughout sports . I just find it annoying that people won't admit he's obviously juicing.

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 02:24:02 PM »

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
People are super naive about who's on PED's. I would bet a huge amount of money that Ortiz has used banned substances. But I would make the same bet on any Major athlete who is elite and over 30.

Lots of things can be done in small amounts safely/are prescribed by doctors under many conditions. So using what's "safe" as a barometer of what should be allowed is a difficult line to draw.

If you have a problem with your shoulder, your doctor might give you HGH injections to help recover, but not in the NBA? But they'll give you massive anti-pain and cortisone injections in the locker room at half time. It's arbitrary.

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 02:25:16 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
I'm not even a baseball fan. I'm not arguing how much peds help its just that some guys get bagged and some don't and to think Ortiz is doing it all straight is just ridiculous to me. I'm more annoyed at the sport and media, fans in general trying to say he's NOT using anything. To me, that's ridiculous.

Where's the evidence that he's using?  Besides the fact that he's having a heckuva year at age 40?

Does the fact that he failed a PED test count as evidence?  Because he did.  MLBs PED testing isn't particularly good.  A-Rod is the face of PED use in modern baseball and he NEVER failed a test.

13 years ago.  Which was also pre-screening program.   So that automatically correlates to him cheating now?  Ah, got it.   Again, I'll ask where is your evidence that "Ortiz is on 'roids"? Your words, not mine. 

Bonds is more the face of PED use in modern baseball than A-Rod.  Heck, your could argue McGwire, Sosa, & Palmeiro as well.  A-Rod is more of just a punchline at this point.

First off, Bonds and company were the face of the steroid era.  This is no longer that.  Hence my use of "modern baseball"  I guess I could have been more specific. 

Second, if failing a test isn't evidence for you then I have no idea what to tell you.  He failed once.  The burden of proof is on him to prove he stopped using.  The guy who got cut by Minny, became a great hitter, tested positive,  is now the best hitter in baseball at age 40 and we're supposed to assume he's not juicing.  The only other guy who hit like this at point was Bonds,  we know he used. But no, not the great Big Papi. 

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 02:26:06 PM »

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
Edit: Duplicate Post

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 02:31:32 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm not even a baseball fan. I'm not arguing how much peds help its just that some guys get bagged and some don't and to think Ortiz is doing it all straight is just ridiculous to me. I'm more annoyed at the sport and media, fans in general trying to say he's NOT using anything. To me, that's ridiculous.

Where's the evidence that he's using?  Besides the fact that he's having a heckuva year at age 40?

Does the fact that he failed a PED test count as evidence?  Because he did.  MLBs PED testing isn't particularly good.  A-Rod is the face of PED use in modern baseball and he NEVER failed a test.

13 years ago.  Which was also pre-screening program.   So that automatically correlates to him cheating now?  Ah, got it.   Again, I'll ask where is your evidence that "Ortiz is on 'roids"? Your words, not mine. 

Bonds is more the face of PED use in modern baseball than A-Rod.  Heck, your could argue McGwire, Sosa, & Palmeiro as well.  A-Rod is more of just a punchline at this point.

First off, Bonds and company were the face of the steroid era.  This is no longer that.  Hence my use of "modern baseball"  I guess I could have been more specific. 

Second, if failing a test isn't evidence for you then I have no idea what to tell you.  He failed once.  The burden of proof is on him to prove he stopped using.  The guy who got cut by Minny, became a great hitter, tested positive,  is now the best hitter in baseball at age 40 and we're supposed to assume he's not juicing.  The only other guy who hit like this at point was Bonds,  we know he used. But no, not the great Big Papi.

So how come we haven't heard of him failing any tests since 2003?  He's submitted to testing since then.  Massive cover up? Doping?  He's been one step ahead of the drug testing game for 13 years now?  What is it?

Besides foot stomping & pointing fingers, there isn't much basis to prove he's doing anything at the moment besides yelling & screaming that "he's playing too well for a 40 year old".  There's been players throughout baseball history who have put up very respectable numbers in their 40s.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2016, 02:44:11 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
People are super naive about who's on PED's. I would bet a huge amount of money that Ortiz has used banned substances. But I would make the same bet on any Major athlete who is elite and over 30.

Lots of things can be done in small amounts safely/are prescribed by doctors under many conditions. So using what's "safe" as a barometer of what should be allowed is a difficult line to draw.

If you have a problem with your shoulder, your doctor might give you HGH injections to help recover, but not in the NBA? But they'll give you massive anti-pain and cortisone injections in the locker room at half time. It's arbitrary.

I agree with all of this. Again I'm not saying Ortiz is unique. I think all major sports across the board cheating is rampant.

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 02:45:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Ortiz tested positive in that initial testing the league did that was supposed to be confidential, but then all the names were released.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/6152128//

EDIT:  That doesn't mean he is using now of course, but he was clearly using at one time in his life.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 02:47:04 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Ortiz tested positive in that initial testing the league did that was supposed to be confidential, but then all the names were released.

Yes.  We're well aware of that & its already been established in this thread.  That was also 13 years ago. 

The idea currently being argued is that he's currently doing them.

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2016, 02:54:49 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95

So how come we haven't heard of him failing any tests since 2003?  He's submitted to testing since then.  Massive cover up? Doping?  He's been one step ahead of the drug testing game for 13 years now?  What is it?

Besides foot stomping & pointing fingers, there isn't much basis to prove he's doing anything at the moment besides yelling & screaming that "he's playing too well for a 40 year old".  There's been players throughout baseball history who have put up very respectable numbers in their 40s.

For the same reason Alex Rodriguez has NEVER tested positive.  The testing sucks.  We know for a fact that A-Rod has used steroids and recently.  yet Major League baseball has NEVER caught him.  If he would stop gong to drug dealers who keep meticulous records he would still be a hall of famer and the face of the "clean" guys.   

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2016, 02:57:41 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

"Arbitrary" is a good word for this situation. Things that can be used by nonathlete couch potatoes to get healthier quicker can't be used by athletes, who probably need them more than the rest of us? Doesn't make sense.

If HGH helps guys heal more quickly, why not allow it? I'd think the professional leagues would want their players (especially the better ones) healthy and on the field/court. HGH certainly doesn't help guys make better contact on a round ball with a round bat, or improve their swing mechanics. It might make their fly balls go a bit farther, but so does weightlifting. Anabolic steroids are dangerous and should be banned, but leagues should just allow players to use nonharmful substances, just like they allow all players to avail themselves of coffee and creatine.

But they'll give you massive anti-pain and cortisone injections in the locker room at half time.

This is a great point, further illustrating the arbitrariness of the situation. "Quick, Kobe, take this cortisone shot so you can play in the second half," but, "McGwire, you can't do andro, even though it's not banned by MLB."
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2016, 03:00:48 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Yes.  We're well aware of that & its already been established in this thread.  That was also 13 years ago. 

The idea currently being argued is that he's currently doing them.

Furthermore, do we know what substance he tested positive for? If it was something that wasn't (at that time) banned, then it wasn't cheating.

I can't stand Bonds or A-Rod, but I won't deny that they're two of the best baseball players ever, even without PEDs. I would hope that, PEDs or otherwise, people would recognize that Ortiz is also one of the best to ever play the game.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2016, 03:04:25 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
I didn't even know A-Rod never tested positive. So he's dirty but Oftiz couldn't possibly be using them? Yawn. It's a joke. Dude is a cheater.

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2016, 03:08:17 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
I didn't even know A-Rod never tested positive. So he's dirty but Oftiz couldn't possibly be using them? Yawn. It's a joke. Dude is a cheater.

He could possibly be using but it's not a statement of fact that he's currently using.  There's nothing out there to prove it.

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2016, 03:11:43 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

There's a huge difference between "We don't know that Ortiz is using, so condemning him for it/acting like he definitely is using is irresponsible" (which is the stance that most people here seem to have) and "There's no way Ortiz is using/ever has used" (which seems to be what you think people are saying).

It's fine to suggest that he may be using, but it's asinine to suggest that he definitely is
I'm bitter.

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2016, 03:12:41 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
This thread is annoying.

Ortiz is a Boston sports legend. This thread exists only because the OP knew he could get a rise out of people by ripping on him. Its what happens when we run out of "lets Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. on Jaylen Brown" threads.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.