Author Topic: Why the 2017 BKN pick is nearly untouchable  (Read 11718 times)

Re: Why the 2017 BKN pick is nearly untouchable
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2016, 02:56:21 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I do not see the picks as so untradable as most fans.  In fact, I already love a lot of our players and think they would be particularly great fits around a big time star player or two.  I would be very willing to give them up for a star.  Of course at proper value for them but I would love to keep guys like Avery, Olynyk, and Crowder to put around more talent.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2016, 04:20:12 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
As long as we don't trade it for a one year rental.

« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2016, 09:01:34 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
In spite of the fact that next years draft, like many others in the past, is thought to be the greatest ever, the chances of us getting a player with Griffin's ability is probably 10% or less.

Maybe the Griffin who was drafted years ago, but this Griffin has started racking up the injuries and is getting older, not to mention he can opt out next year. The question is, would you rather bite the bullet another year and potentially sign Gordon and Draft High, or trade assets for Griffin, hope he doesn't walk, hope he stays healthy, and hope you can beat Cle & GS?

Griffin, definitely. Also, if we have enough assets left after a Griffin/Pierce trade, we might be able to add Westbrook and use a year of playing with an elite team to convince him to stay. This is preferable IMO to watching Harry Styles slowly develop as Horford gets even older and the cheap Thomas and Bradley contracts expire.

I agree, and it's a no brainer. 

Gordon Hayward is nowhere near Griffin's level - not even remotely close, and he never will be.

Hayward is a Rudy Gay type of player - one of those guys who will be a nice player his whole career, but won't ever be a game changer for anybody. 

Blake Griffin and Chris Paul turned the Clippers from one of the saddest franchises in the NBA to a legit contender the moment they joined together in LA. 

There are guys I like over Griffin no doubt (Cousins, Westbrook, etc) but Blake Griffin is one hell of a talent.  He's a legitimate superstar.

Hayward is good, but he's a two or three levels below Griffin as a player.  I'm not honestly sure if Hayward is a genuine upgrade over Crowder - he's a genuine upgrade offensively, but a massikve downgrade defensively...and he doesn't have a fraction of Crowder's heart, and would cost us more then twice as much. 

Personally, I'd rather pass on Hayward and just keep Crowder as out starting three man.

Front court however is a big position of need for us.  We don't have a starting caliber big man to start alongside Horford.  We either obtain one, or else we are forced to start somebody who should be on the second unit (Amir, Olynyk, Jerebko, etc).  Blake Griffin not only gives us a starting caliber big man, he gives us an offensive superstar. 

Griffin is good enough that if he came here he would instantly become our best player - on a team that already has two all-stars and an all defensive first teamer.  That's a massive jump in talent from where we are now. 

Jumping from Amir Johnson or Kelly Olynyk to Blake Griffin?  That's a far bigger jump in talent and production then it would be if we went from Crowder to Hayward.
I didn't say Haywood was better than Griffin, Just said Having Haywood & top draft pick is better than having Griffin for 1 year to hope to win a championship

Which is fair enough...though I wouldn't do that anyway. 

The cost to acquire Hayward would be like be higher then I would be willing to pay for a guy who (IMHO) doesn't offer a major upgrade over Crowder.

Griffin is a top shelf talent - I'd strongly consider giving up the 2018 pick for him, long as we keep the 2017 pick and don't give up multiple significant core players in addition to that pick.

I wouldn't give up any core players for Hayward - just don't think he's worth it given we already have Crowder at that position. 

« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2016, 09:07:55 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
When a top 5, proven talent is available, we always need to consider including the Brooklyn picks, no matter how deep the talent level in the draft goes.

You can never go wrong with proven talent.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2016, 12:53:51 PM »

Offline Coast2Coast

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
For those who haven't seen the kids in the 2017 class, there are numerous can't-miss, cornerstone type players and possibly a couple of generational guys.

Josh Jackson
6'8" with guard skills, highlight reel on both sides of the court
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzZ0VI-Fp6M

Harry Giles
6'10" PF, KG in the making?  Already had a couple knee surgeries*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fASlnqiguKo

Jayson Tatum
6'8" F that can flat out score.  Adrian Dantley adapted for modern play.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etPHekOeqnc

Markelle Fultz
6'5" PG with polish and hops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng5pNV8t0Mc

And this is just the beginning.  8-10 legit prospects at the top and the BKN pick is nearly a lock to be top 4.

Jackson and Giles are special ...Imo these are the two guys who come around every ten years... Giles has a bit of an injury concern..

Tatum is a fine player but nothing close to a sure thing
Fultz IMO is just a bit over rated at this point but I cant wait to watch him this year ..

My guess is we will see plenty of more name but Jackson and Giles will stay at the top barring injury..

I also think that if the draft were today, it's Jackson and Giles as the top choices. Both look to be elite and possible superstar talent. RIGHT NOW if we had the top overall pick, I would select Jackson simply due to Giles knee injuries. The thought of having an Oden-esque situation is not worth it.

Another player I'll be keeping an eye on is Isaiah Hartenstein. I was never into Bender, but I think Hartenstein could be that player that everyone wanted. 6'11", excellent passer, can shoot from beyond the arc, finishes at the rim, rebounds and is a capable defender.  A future front court combo of Yabu and Hartenstein could really stretch the floor.

We'll see what transpires over the next year with these prospects. I think 17 is off limits where you draft another future cornerstone piece to add to Rozier,Smart,Brown, Yabu. Include 18' in a package for another All-Star. 

« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2016, 04:17:32 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
For those who haven't seen the kids in the 2017 class, there are numerous can't-miss, cornerstone type players and possibly a couple of generational guys.

Josh Jackson

Harry Giles

Jayson Tatum

Markelle Fultz

And this is just the beginning.  8-10 legit prospects at the top and the BKN pick is nearly a lock to be top 4.

Jackson and Giles are special ...Imo these are the two guys who come around every ten years... Giles has a bit of an injury concern..

Fultz IMO is just a bit over rated at this point but I cant wait to watch him this year ..

My guess is we will see plenty of more name but Jackson and Giles will stay at the top barring injury..

I also think that if the draft were today, it's Jackson and Giles as the top choices. Both look to be elite and possible superstar talent. RIGHT NOW if we had the top overall pick, I would select Jackson simply due to Giles knee injuries. The thought of having an Oden-esque situation is not worth it.

Another player I'll be keeping an eye on is Isaiah Hartenstein. I was never into Bender, but I think Hartenstein could be that player that everyone wanted. 6'11", excellent passer, can shoot from beyond the arc, finishes at the rim, rebounds and is a capable defender.  A future front court combo of Yabu and Hartenstein could really stretch the floor.

We'll see what transpires over the next year with these prospects. I think 17 is off limits where you draft another future cornerstone piece to add to Rozier,Smart,Brown, Yabu. Include 18' in a package for another All-Star.
To add to this. Each of these players have a year to get better. I think DA will know by trading deadline what is out there. And if some of these guys are tearing it up he may wait if it looks week. We may get us the Boogie man or Oakfor.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2016, 04:23:01 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Josh Jackson

Harry Giles

Jayson Tatum

Markelle Fultz

To add to this. Each of these players have a year to get better. I think DA will know by trading deadline what is out there. And if some of these guys are tearing it up he may wait if it looks week. We may get us the Boogie man or Oakfor.

Trading a probable top 3 pick in this draft for Okafor is absolute insanity.

« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2016, 04:42:32 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
This is the pick we land the next Young star center with

« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2016, 06:01:53 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
This is the pick we land the next Young star center with

Yessiree!  It's been a long time coming, so let's hope he's worth the wait.  Needless to say, he won't carry the surname of "Okafor" or "Noel." 

« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2016, 06:02:57 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I'd trade my first born and one testicle for Josh Jackson. What a beast.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2016, 06:08:25 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

He can play the 2, right?  Can Jaylen play the 4 or the 2?  Jaylen seems more of a natural 3 than anything, but I'm just wondering  how they would look together in like 3 years.  Would Smart/Jackson/Brown work as the 2-3-4?

« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2016, 06:09:31 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

One should not offer what one does not have.

« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2016, 06:45:54 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

He can play the 2, right?  Can Jaylen play the 4 or the 2?  Jaylen seems more of a natural 3 than anything, but I'm just wondering  how they would look together in like 3 years.  Would Smart/Jackson/Brown work as the 2-3-4?

I was concerned about drafting Jaylen this year for that reason, but I guess you can't worry about that at the time.

Jackson looks like he could play 2-4 (in the mold of PG) and I imagine he'll be more NBA-ready, (talent-wise) than Brown. But I doubt he'll be strong enough to play the 4 before a couple of years in the league. And while Brown will probably be strong enough, his offensive game may not develop for a few years. But man that could be a dynamic core.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 07:02:37 PM by tarheelsxxiii »

« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2016, 07:02:24 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

I was concerned about drafting Jaylen this year for that reason, but I guess you can't worry about that if you're really high on a prospect. I'm not sure.

One the one hand, Jackson looks like he could play 2-4 (in the mold of PG). I imagine he'll be more NBA-ready, talent-wise, than Brown. But I doubt he'll be strong enough to play the 4 before a couple of years in the league.

On the other hand, Brown will probably be strong enough but doubtfully ready to make major contribution (esp with re: to stretching the floor at the 4). But man that could be a dynamic core.

I've seen Jackson referred to as a 2 more often than not. Provided they both develop as shooters, Jackson-Brown could be a dominant 2-3 duo for a decade+.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2016, 08:02:08 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

I was concerned about drafting Jaylen this year for that reason, but I guess you can't worry about that if you're really high on a prospect. I'm not sure.

One the one hand, Jackson looks like he could play 2-4 (in the mold of PG). I imagine he'll be more NBA-ready, talent-wise, than Brown. But I doubt he'll be strong enough to play the 4 before a couple of years in the league.

On the other hand, Brown will probably be strong enough but doubtfully ready to make major contribution (esp with re: to stretching the floor at the 4). But man that could be a dynamic core.

I've seen Jackson referred to as a 2 more often than not. Provided they both develop as shooters, Jackson-Brown could be a dominant 2-3 duo for a decade+.

Sure would. A 6'8" SG that can create... wow.  I've seen him listed as a 2 and a 3, maybe know more after his freshman season.