Author Topic: Why the 2017 BKN pick is nearly untouchable  (Read 11702 times)

Re: Why the 2017 BKN pick is nearly untouchable
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2016, 07:48:28 AM »

Offline TheBig3

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 18
In spite of the fact that next years draft, like many others in the past, is thought to be the greatest ever, the chances of us getting a player with Griffin's ability is probably 10% or less.

Maybe the Griffin who was drafted years ago, but this Griffin has started racking up the injuries and is getting older, not to mention he can opt out next year. The question is, would you rather bite the bullet another year and potentially sign Gordon and Draft High, or trade assets for Griffin, hope he doesn't walk, hope he stays healthy, and hope you can beat Cle & GS?

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2016, 08:22:07 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
For those who haven't seen the kids in the 2017 class, there are numerous can't-miss, cornerstone type players and possibly a couple of generational guys.

Josh Jackson
6'8" with guard skills, highlight reel on both sides of the court
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzZ0VI-Fp6M

Harry Giles
6'10" PF, KG in the making?  Already had a couple knee surgeries*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fASlnqiguKo

Jayson Tatum
6'8" F that can flat out score.  Adrian Dantley adapted for modern play.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etPHekOeqnc

Markelle Fultz
6'5" PG with polish and hops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng5pNV8t0Mc

And this is just the beginning.  8-10 legit prospects at the top and the BKN pick is nearly a lock to be top 4.

Jackson and Giles are special ...Imo these are the two guys who come around every ten years... Giles has a bit of an injury concern..

Tatum is a fine player but nothing close to a sure thing
Fultz IMO is just a bit over rated at this point but I cant wait to watch him this year ..

My guess is we will see plenty of more name but Jackson and Giles will stay at the top barring injury..

Are any of these guys Tim Duncan level cornerstone?

If not then the pick is easily tradeable.

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2016, 08:37:16 AM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
For those who haven't seen the kids in the 2017 class, there are numerous can't-miss, cornerstone type players and possibly a couple of generational guys.

Josh Jackson

Harry Giles

Jayson Tatum

Markelle Fultz

And this is just the beginning.  8-10 legit prospects at the top and the BKN pick is nearly a lock to be top 4.

Jackson and Giles are special ...Imo these are the two guys who come around every ten years... Giles has a bit of an injury concern..

Tatum is a fine player but nothing close to a sure thing
Fultz IMO is just a bit over rated at this point but I cant wait to watch him this year ..

My guess is we will see plenty of more name but Jackson and Giles will stay at the top barring injury..

Are any of these guys Tim Duncan level cornerstone?

If not then the pick is easily tradeable.

Tim Duncan wasn't Tim Duncan cornerstone when he was 18. And I guess that's part of the point here.  When dealing with 18 year olds it's nearly always a risk. 

But the guys we are talking about trading for are also risks!  We aren't talking KG in his prime circa 2007.  We are talking a major head case who has never made the playoffs in cousins, a selfish point guard whose batman left him to play team basketball, and a guy who a top 4 team in the league is looking to trade who missed a quarter of the season due to punching a team employee and friend over a silly argument!

People are acting like we would be trading for 07 KG or Chris Paul whenever he was dealt. 

Paul George may be the only guy id consider dealing BK 17 for but Indiana won't.  Despite what I said about cousins I'd consider it for him but not if we would have to give one of our young building blocks too (and we would).

Keep BK 17. 

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2016, 08:52:55 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

Josh Jackson

Harry Giles

Jayson Tatum

Markelle Fultz

I don't like any of the guys you listed...IMO they will drop off or have not showed me as much as: Dennis Smith Jr
Bam Bam
Thomas Bryant
Jonothane Jeane(still needs another year)

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2016, 09:42:33 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Last year at this time Skal Labissierre was a can't miss prospect.

Well played,
 but he hasn't missed yet. Time will tell, or we will tell time.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2016, 09:45:13 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I'm starting to lean towards keeping both Nets pick. In my honest opinion, if the player we trade for or sign is not a tier1 superstar like Durant or the LeBron's, then we will not even get past Cleveland. That is my opinion, I think LeBron will at least rule the East for another 2-3 years. I say at this time we should keep our picks, draft, and develop and hopefully in their 4-5 years of playing in the NBA, develops into stars and by that time LeBron slows down a bit.

Hopefully in 4-5 years, Brown becomes somewhat of a star, and Marcus can be a lockdown defender against Irving who can also contribute 12-14 pts.

That's just me being a bit optimistic

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2016, 09:58:02 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Josh Jackson

Harry Giles

Jayson Tatum

Markelle Fultz

I don't like any of the guys you listed...IMO they will drop off or have not showed me as much as: Dennis Smith Jr
Bam Bam
Thomas Bryant
Jonothane Jeane(still needs another year)

The top of my list goes a little something like

1.) Jackson - Very strong and skilled for his age. Elite level athlete, yadda yadda. Just look at the scouting reports and watch some tape and you can see that he has the tools to be very good.

2.) Giles - Measured at 6'10 (shoes of course), 7'3 wingspan, and a 9'1 standing reach (225 lbs.) Those are all elite for a PF, although his frame looks like he could add 10-15 pounds comfortably. However, its his combination of bounce, length, strength, aggressiveness and lastly skill that have him ranked so high on my list. He honestly looks to have it all. He has even shown some competency on his jumpshot (although contrary to highlight videos I do not think it is out to the 3 range yet*.)

The big question with him is his health. It absolutely terrifies me to take a young springy aggressive PF with his history of injury. 2 knee surgeries before college would keep me up at night lol. But if he stays healthy for his entire College season, his upside is so huge you have to take him at 2. Without the injuries, in my eyes he is the 1st pick in the draft.

I am not really a huge fan of Tatum or Fultz. As future said, I don't see them being as successful at the next level.

3. Dennis Smith Jr- Kid is a baller. His handle is amazing, and he can fly. Should be able to shoot, loves to finish, unreal vision for his age. Love it. Drops kids all over the gym with his cross.

4. Isaac- Not fully sure where I stand on this kid. He looks a bit like a tweener to me (SF/PF.) However, his handle is nice, his length is good, and he looks like he loves to finish in traffic. If he does well in college (ala Brandon Ingram) then maybe he is worth the look.

Haven't really gotten excited about the rest. I honestly haven't watched enough on Bam Bam, but he looks kind of just like a jammer. I really like both Bryant and Jeanne, just not with a pick at the top of the draft.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 10:04:47 AM by A Future of Stevens »
#JKJB

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2016, 11:04:32 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
In spite of the fact that next years draft, like many others in the past, is thought to be the greatest ever, the chances of us getting a player with Griffin's ability is probably 10% or less.

Maybe the Griffin who was drafted years ago, but this Griffin has started racking up the injuries and is getting older, not to mention he can opt out next year. The question is, would you rather bite the bullet another year and potentially sign Gordon and Draft High, or trade assets for Griffin, hope he doesn't walk, hope he stays healthy, and hope you can beat Cle & GS?
Griffin, definitely. Also, if we have enough assets left after a Griffin/Pierce trade, we might be able to add Westbrook and use a year of playing with an elite team to convince him to stay. This is preferable IMO to watching Harry Styles slowly develop as Horford gets even older and the cheap Thomas and Bradley contracts expire.

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2016, 11:43:47 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Griffin, definitely. Also, if we have enough assets left after a Griffin/Pierce trade, we might be able to add Westbrook and use a year of playing with an elite team to convince him to stay. This is preferable IMO to watching Harry Styles slowly develop as Horford gets even older and the cheap Thomas and Bradley contracts expire.

I agree, and it's a no brainer. 

Gordon Hayward is nowhere near Griffin's level - not even remotely close, and he never will be.

Hayward is a Rudy Gay type of player - one of those guys who will be a nice player his whole career, but won't ever be a game changer for anybody. 

Blake Griffin and Chris Paul turned the Clippers from one of the saddest franchises in the NBA to a legit contender the moment they joined together in LA. 

There are guys I like over Griffin no doubt (Cousins, Westbrook, etc) but Blake Griffin is one hell of a talent.  He's a legitimate superstar.

Hayward is good, but he's a two or three levels below Griffin as a player.  I'm not honestly sure if Hayward is a genuine upgrade over Crowder - he's a genuine upgrade offensively, but a massikve downgrade defensively...and he doesn't have a fraction of Crowder's heart, and would cost us more then twice as much. 

Personally, I'd rather pass on Hayward and just keep Crowder as out starting three man.

Front court however is a big position of need for us.  We don't have a starting caliber big man to start alongside Horford.  We either obtain one, or else we are forced to start somebody who should be on the second unit (Amir, Olynyk, Jerebko, etc).  Blake Griffin not only gives us a starting caliber big man, he gives us an offensive superstar. 

Griffin is good enough that if he came here he would instantly become our best player - on a team that already has two all-stars and an all defensive first teamer.  That's a massive jump in talent from where we are now. 

Jumping from Amir Johnson or Kelly Olynyk to Blake Griffin?  That's a far bigger jump in talent and production then it would be if we went from Crowder to Hayward.

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2016, 11:50:32 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Avery Bradley was the no. 1 recruit on ESPN when he was a senior, too.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2016, 01:15:36 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Dennis Smith is a killer!

Sweet fancy!!

« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2016, 01:17:13 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Another guy who started the summer as an expected #1 pick was Chris Taft.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2016, 01:17:16 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Dennis Smith makes Kris Dunn look like a JV player..

Definitely on the offensive side.

Not sure about defensively because that's rarely shown on highlight reels... ::)

« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2016, 01:45:01 PM »

Offline TheBig3

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 18

I agree, and it's a no brainer. 

Gordon Hayward is nowhere near Griffin's level - not even remotely close, and he never will be.

Hayward is a Rudy Gay type of player - one of those guys who will be a nice player his whole career, but won't ever be a game changer for anybody. 

Blake Griffin and Chris Paul turned the Clippers from one of the saddest franchises in the NBA to a legit contender the moment they joined together in LA. 

There are guys I like over Griffin no doubt (Cousins, Westbrook, etc) but Blake Griffin is one hell of a talent.  He's a legitimate superstar.

Hayward is good, but he's a two or three levels below Griffin as a player.  I'm not honestly sure if Hayward is a genuine upgrade over Crowder - he's a genuine upgrade offensively, but a massikve downgrade defensively...and he doesn't have a fraction of Crowder's heart, and would cost us more then twice as much. 

Personally, I'd rather pass on Hayward and just keep Crowder as out starting three man.

Front court however is a big position of need for us.  We don't have a starting caliber big man to start alongside Horford.  We either obtain one, or else we are forced to start somebody who should be on the second unit (Amir, Olynyk, Jerebko, etc).  Blake Griffin not only gives us a starting caliber big man, he gives us an offensive superstar. 

Griffin is good enough that if he came here he would instantly become our best player - on a team that already has two all-stars and an all defensive first teamer.  That's a massive jump in talent from where we are now. 

Jumping from Amir Johnson or Kelly Olynyk to Blake Griffin?  That's a far bigger jump in talent and production then it would be if we went from Crowder to Hayward.
I didn't say Haywood was better than Griffin, Just said Having Haywood & top draft pick is better than having Griffin for 1 year to hope to win a championship

« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2016, 02:54:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Another guy who started the summer as an expected #1 pick was Chris Taft.
Our own Jaylen Brown was drooled over on this site a couple of years ago as a #2 in the country high school recruit. Now half the board wants him traded or is condemning the pick because they wanted 4 year senior Dunn.