Author Topic: Why the 2017 BKN pick is nearly untouchable  (Read 11627 times)

Re: Why the 2017 BKN pick is nearly untouchable
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 03:57:14 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Don't get me wrong, I'd trade the pick for Boogie.  It's nearly untouchable.

Skal Labisierre isn't in the same category as Tatum or Jackson, IMO.  Not even close.  That's my point.  The pick has a high likelihood of yielding a cornerstone guy.  As high as a draft pick can have.

but this happens literally every year. 

Wall was suppose to be the next Westbrook.  Then Wiggins the next Jordan.  Then Davis the next Wilt.  Then Simmons the next Lebron.

Then we see them play some more, and the bottom of the paper bag falls apart...
Wall, Wiggins and Anthony Davis are pretty good players.  If you could turn this pick into Anthony Davis, would you actually trade it?

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 04:00:06 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

Skal Labisierre isn't in the same category as Tatum or Jackson, IMO.  Not even close.  That's my point.  The pick has a high likelihood of yielding a cornerstone guy.  As high as a draft pick can have.

Wall was suppose to be the next Westbrook.  Then Wiggins the next Jordan.  Then Davis the next Wilt.  Then Simmons the next Lebron.

Wall, Wiggins and Anthony Davis are pretty good players.  If you could turn this pick into Anthony Davis, would you actually trade it?
Depends.. do you trust Ainge to draft the right player? We might be better off trading for a known guy.

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 04:00:53 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

everyone in the NBA is pretty good.  but we *should* have the assets to trade for an all star. 

I'm just complaining because we seem unwilling to part with anything of value, despite the fact that we're shopping for a Ferrari. 

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 04:07:42 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

everyone in the NBA is pretty good.  but we *should* have the assets to trade for an all star. 

I'm just complaining because we seem unwilling to part with anything of value, despite the fact that we're shopping for a Ferrari.
I'll trade it for a Ferrari.  Cousins, Griffin, fine.  But nothing less.  This pick is pretty close to a sure thing and the value has never been higher because next year's class looks better than this class.

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 04:09:17 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

Depends.. do you trust Ainge to draft the right player? We might be better off trading for a known guy.
I do trust Ainge to draft the right guy, fwiw.

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 04:11:55 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
I adore Tatum, his game is so smooth it's ridiculous. My problem is can he be elite in the modern NBA? He's old school in his game which isn't a bad thing but it makes him less flexible than someone like Towns or Lillard.

Jackson is a great talent. He's a man among boys. I look forward to seeing what he does in college.

I'd take Cousins over either though. He's a sure fire thing and really is just waiting for someone to utilise his talents effectively. Cousins is just entering his prime too. It isn't like giving up the picks for  a 30 year old KG where you know you can only get 4-5 years from him.

Ideally I'd say the final price should include 2 of Brown and the Brooklyn picks. Ideally I'd keep the 2017 pick but ultimately you do whatever is needed. The rest of the package is mostly filler in terms of value I guess, unless you have to give up Smart/Crowder in the deal. If you do that then you have to keep one of the Brooklyn picks

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2016, 04:14:04 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
I adore Tatum, his game is so smooth it's ridiculous. My problem is can he be elite in the modern NBA? He's old school in his game which isn't a bad thing but it makes him less flexible than someone like Towns or Lillard.

Jackson is a great talent. He's a man among boys. I look forward to seeing what he does in college.

I'd take Cousins over either though. He's a sure fire thing and really is just waiting for someone to utilise his talents effectively. Cousins is just entering his prime too. It isn't like giving up the picks for  a 30 year old KG where you know you can only get 4-5 years from him.

Ideally I'd say the final price should include 2 of Brown and the Brooklyn picks. Ideally I'd keep the 2017 pick but ultimately you do whatever is needed. The rest of the package is mostly filler in terms of value I guess, unless you have to give up Smart/Crowder in the deal. If you do that then you have to keep one of the Brooklyn picks
Agree with everything here.  I think Tatum is can't-miss, barring injury. 

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2016, 04:14:28 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Not a unanimous opinion.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2016, 04:15:47 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

Not a unanimous opinion.

I'm with Pick n Roll!  Danny is the Man(ny)!

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2016, 04:20:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
every year the BKL pick is said to be untouchable. 
so far, we're 0-2 the way this Brown kid is projecting.  with Ainge jr. running our scouting dept, we are on the path for serious regret in a few years if we don't make fair offer sooner or later for a stud.

time for Danny to stop throwing his pitches into the dirt...

TP.

One bust, one bricklayer - thus far.

Time to get something of real value from those picks, instead of Danny and his kid trying to prove they know something everyone else doesn't.

lol you guys are a trip. I have been around these boards a long time and writing off Brown off of 1.5 games is the funniest knee jerk reaction I have seen to date.

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2016, 04:24:33 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
every year the BKL pick is said to be untouchable. 
so far, we're 0-2 the way this Brown kid is projecting.  with Ainge jr. running our scouting dept, we are on the path for serious regret in a few years if we don't make fair offer sooner or later for a stud.

time for Danny to stop throwing his pitches into the dirt...

TP.

One bust, one bricklayer - thus far.

Time to get something of real value from those picks, instead of Danny and his kid trying to prove they know something everyone else doesn't.

lol you guys are a trip. I have been around these boards a long time and writing off Brown off of 1.5 games is the funniest knee jerk reaction I have seen to date.

No one is writing him off.

However, he can't shoot. And he has other significant flaws that have been ground into submission in these threads that are going to require years of work for him to overcome.

And he was taken 3rd in the draft. Amazing.

I'd include him in a deal for Griffin or Cousins - without blinking.

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2016, 04:26:15 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas

Yeah. It's past time to realize that it's OK to send the other guy something of value too if the trade improves our club.

Way past time.

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2016, 04:40:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
You know, two years ago people on this blog at this time of year were gushing over the #2 high school recruit in the country. They were posting videos of him and saying he was a man amongst boys. They drooled over his athleticism and ability to finish. People on this blog said the Celtics had to do something to get a hold of him or Skal Labissierri or Ben Simmons.

That 17 year old kid was Jaylen Brown. Now half the blog hates the kid and are making assumptions on his future based on 2 Summer League games. Half of those people are already calling to trade him away.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch, especially 17 year old chickens that have a lot of growing up to do and have a lot to learn. They could be stars but they could suck. But if you have a draft pick where you might be able to draft high enough to draft one of these 19 year olds and also have the opportunity to trade that pick for a star and perennial All-Star, you trade that pick every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

My opinion is we have to give Brown a couple of years in Brad's system to see what he has. He has some parts of his game that are impressive, others that need work. he is 19, have patience.

And as for trading our 2017 pick, you do it to get a star no matter who is coming out. I think Danny will. Again, patience. No need to rush this deal. It doesn't have to happen today or tomorrow or even this week. October is a long ways away

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2016, 04:52:31 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Brown is the man, and will be the man for sure. Calm your fears.  He was a good pick. If he were a 4th or 5th year senior coming in, I think he'd destroy Dunn.

Next year's pick is untouchable unless it's for Cousins. He's like a new age Shaq, so good and so talented, just waiting for the right coach and situation. Love to have him.

Weird side note: I dreamt we traded James Young for 2 early 2nd rounders and wasn't that bummed out. James had better pick things up quickly. 

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2016, 04:53:13 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
For those who haven't seen the kids in the 2017 class, there are numerous can't-miss, cornerstone type players and possibly a couple of generational guys.

Josh Jackson
6'8" with guard skills, highlight reel on both sides of the court
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzZ0VI-Fp6M

Harry Giles
6'10" PF, KG in the making?  Already had a couple knee surgeries*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fASlnqiguKo

Jayson Tatum
6'8" F that can flat out score.  Adrian Dantley adapted for modern play.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etPHekOeqnc

Markelle Fultz
6'5" PG with polish and hops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng5pNV8t0Mc

And this is just the beginning.  8-10 legit prospects at the top and the BKN pick is nearly a lock to be top 4.

Jackson and Giles are special ...Imo these are the two guys who come around every ten years... Giles has a bit of an injury concern..

Tatum is a fine player but nothing close to a sure thing
Fultz IMO is just a bit over rated at this point but I cant wait to watch him this year ..

My guess is we will see plenty of more name but Jackson and Giles will stay at the top barring injury..