Author Topic: IDEA: Tyreke Evans  (Read 1007 times)

IDEA: Tyreke Evans
« on: July 12, 2016, 01:04:20 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The one player we haven't replaced yet from last season is Evan Turner.  While there is reasonable optimism some combination of Rozier, Brown, Hunter, and maybe Jackson can approximate what Turner brought, Ainge has suggested he'd potentially like to add a ball handler, and there is one player who's probably on the trade market who can fill that role by himself.  As the title suggests, that player is Tyreke Evans.

Evans is a point guard in a small forward's body, with a suspect outside shot (although he did make 38% of his threes last year in a limited sample).  Undoubtedly he'd be able to step into Evan Turner's role on both ends of the court.

Meanwhile, New Orleans is moving on.  Their free agent acquisitions have been a PG, SG, SF, and they drafted Buddy Hield.  Evans is on the last year of his deal.  His salary of $10.2 million isn't unreasonable, but it's possible New Orleans would like to spend that money differently.  There are a few ways this trade could work.

Firstly, it's possible the Celtics could have enough cap room by just renouncing Zeller and releasing John Holland.  However, it's unclear whether or not Ante Zizic is counting against the cap at this point, so I'm going to be conservative and assume that he is.

Therefore, the Celtics could renounce Zeller, release Holland, and trade James Young and a second-round pick to New Orleans.  This would leave New Orleans with about $8.4 million in cap space to target another free agent.  Evans could fit directly into our cap space (he has a $1 million trade kicker).  The advantage of this would be that if we wanted to upgrade from Evans later this summer, we could include his $11.2 million salary in trades without any delay.  The disadvantage is that we'd be pretty much out of cap room to sign our 2nd round picks, and therefore couldn't offer them three or four year contracts.

Alternatively, if the Pelicans are interested in Zeller, he could be sent along in a sign-and-trade himself.  If packaged with Young and Holland, Zeller could be signed for a salary starting at just above $9.4 million to make salaries match.  (If Young is excluded, Zeller would have to start at $13 million).  The advantage for the Celtics in this instance is they'd be able to sign their second round picks with cap room before finalizing the trade.  They couldn't trade Evans for 60 days, but that restriction still ends before training camp begins.

I mostly think Evans could be a productive player this season.  If Rozier and Brown push him to the bench, that's no loss.  If they aren't able to, then we'll be a better team with Tyreke.  He won't get in the way of next year's free agency.  And his salary would be enough to take on Gordon Hayward by himself if Hayward becomes available (meaning a trade of Tyreke and picks is possible), and is only a few hundred thousand less than what's needed for Cousins.

It's not the flashiest move, but acquiring Tyreke could a) help us this year, b) help us acquire a star-level player more easily, and c) not inhibit next year's cap situation if neither A nor B come to pass.

Re: IDEA: Tyreke Evans
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 01:07:48 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I'd be on board with Evans. He'd fill a need. There were reports in the past the Danny liked him so I could see him spinning the tires on a deal if the cost is reasonable.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 01:13:33 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
We need shooters...

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 01:13:41 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Zeller to NOP in a sign and trade starting at $9 mil seems a bit steep to me. I think NOP is already looking to shop a big, not take one on.

I do like the idea of getting Evans as a facilitator from the wing, though.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 01:17:59 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Zeller to NOP in a sign and trade starting at $9 mil seems a bit steep to me. I think NOP is already looking to shop a big, not take one on.

I don't think it's that steep personally, and New Orleans is more likely to want to add a big than shop a big, given their current roster construction (3 bigs, 10 guard and small forwards.)  Anyway, Zeller S&T component is not a necessary component to a deal, just an option if that is a player New Orleans would be interested in.

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 01:22:37 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I don't think it's that steep personally, and New Orleans is more likely to want to add a big than shop a big, given their current roster construction (3 bigs, 10 guard and small forwards.)  Anyway, Zeller S&T component is not a necessary component to a deal, just an option if that is a player New Orleans would be interested in.

I'd heard that they'd like to move either Asik or Ajinca. But if a Zeller S&T would work, I'd be for it.

Assuming either scenario went through, would the C's still have the room exception?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 01:27:54 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I'd heard that they'd like to move either Asik or Ajinca. But if a Zeller S&T would work, I'd be for it.

Assuming either scenario went through, would the C's still have the room exception?

Yes.  You either get the room exception or the MLE.  The Celtics negated their ability to use the MLE when they signed Horford, so they get the room exception, regardless of any other moves they make.

As for Asik and Ajinca -- I could see New Orleans being interested in moving them because of fit, because there were obviously some problems last season, but not due to overcrowding.  While Zeller has his limitations, I think he'd be a better fit in the up-tempo, ball-moving offense New Orleans would like to run than either Asik or Ajinca.