Author Topic: Celtics (0-2) vs Mavericks (1-1) Vegas SL Game 3 7/12/16  (Read 33611 times)

Celtics (0-2) vs Mavericks (1-1) Vegas SL Game 3 7/12/16
« on: July 11, 2016, 11:13:25 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  vs 
Boston Celtics (0-2) vs Dallas Mavericks (1-1)
Tuesday, July 11, 2016
6:00 PM ET
TV:  ESPN 2 (Replay: Wednesday 7/13 at 7:00 AM ET on NBA-TV)
Stream:  ESPN 3
Cox Pavilion

Celtics Summer League Roster
Player..... Number

Ben Bentil 50
Jaylen Brown 9
RJ Hunter 28
Demetrius Jackson 26
Jordan Mickey 55
Malcolm Miller 48
Abdel Nader 51
Jayvaughn Pinkston 52
Terry Rozier 12
Marcus Thornton 27
Corey Walden 46
Guerschon Yabusele 30
Mouphtaou Yarou 63
James Young 13
Coach: Jamie Young

Possible Starting 5
Terry Rozier
James Young
Jaylen Brown
Guerschon Yabusele
Jordan Mickey

Mavericks Summer League Roster
Player   Number

Justin Anderson 1
Chane Behanan  24
Vander Blue  13
Kyle Collinsworth 30
Perry Ellis  33
Dorian Finney Smith 10
Jonathan Gibson  14
AJ Hammons   20
Isaiah Miles  17
McKenzie Moore  16
Giovan Oniangue 19
Tanner Plomb  35
Satnam Singh  52
Jameel Warney  32
Coach:  Jamahl Mosley

Possible Starters
Jonathan Gibson
McKenzie Moore
Justin Anderson
Dorian Finney Smith
AJ Hammons 

Game Notes

The Celtics look for their first win in three tries in Las Vegas as they take on the Dallas Mavericks, who are 1-1.  The Mavericks played in the Orlando Summer League where they finished 2-3.  They beat the Heat 83-64 and then lost to the Raptors 80-69.  The Celtics had Monday off while the Mavericks are playing in back to back games. 

The Mavs are led by second year player Justin Anderson and their rookie, AJ Hammons, who was the 46th pick in the draft.  They also feature Jonathan Gibson, who played for the Celtics Summer League team in 2012 and for Portland's summer League team in 2014.  He has been playing in  Asia.   Another name that should be familiar is Vander Blue, who played in 3 games for the Celtics in 2013-14.  He played in 2 games for the Lakers in 2014-15.   

Once again, the Celtics will be at a height disadvantage with the Mavericks including 2 players 7 ft tall or more.  AJ Hammons, their rookie is a 7' center while Satnam Singh,  the first Indian born player in the NBA, is 7'2" tall.  He was the 52nd pick by the Mavericks in 2015 and played for the Mavericks' D-League team, the Texas Legends last season. 

Players to Watch

After taking Sunday off for a rest and having an off day on Monday, Rozier should be well rested and ready to play.   He has looked good so far in Summer League and is trying to make a case for a bigger role next season.

Jordan Mickey struggled in his first game in Vegas but looked much better in the second game with 18 points, 6 rebounds and 1 blocked shot.  He is averaging 11.5 points, 6.5 rebounds and 1 block in the two games. 

Jaylen Brown has been struggling with the knee injury that sidelined him for the final 2 games of the Utah Summer League.  He has been playing, but hasn't been 100%.  He is averaging 7 points, 2.5 rebounds, 1.5 assists and 1.5 steals.  Celtics fans are hoping to see a bit more from him. 

Jonathan Gibson has been playing well for the Mavericks in Vegas.  He is averaging 20 points, 2.5 rebounds, 2 assists, and 2 steals.  I'm sure he will want to show the Celtics that they should have kept him back in 2012 and so the Celtics will need to slow him down. 

Justin Anderson has a year of NBA play behind him.  He is averaging 14.5 points, 6 rebounds, 2.5 assists, and 1 steal per game in Vegas. 

The Celtics should watch Satnam Singh for no other reason than he is 7'2" tall and is 6 inches taller than any Celtic.   

Keys to the Game
Rebound - In both losses in Vegas, the Celtics have been out-rebounded by a lot.  Even with a height disadvantage,  they have to find a way to beat the Mavericks on the boards.  Much of rebounding is effort and the Celtics must put out the effort to grab rebounds. 
Defense - Defense will always be the key to winning, especially for this team that has struggled to score.  They have to get stops and keep the other team from scoring, which so far, they haven't been able to do.
Find a Way to Score -  This might sound simple but the Celtics have struggled to hit their shots and they have to somehow find a way to score.  If the 3's aren't falling, go inside.  If they are getting blocked at the rim, then shoot from mid range.  They have to find some way to get their shots to fall. 
Move the Ball - We have watched way too much dribbling and hero ball so far here in Vegas.  They have to move the ball and find the open man.   

Re: Celtics (0-2) vs Mavericks (1-1) Vegas SL Game 3 7/12/16
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 11:15:02 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Cant wait for tomorrow, hopefully Brown gets featured more

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 11:17:02 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
TP FL
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 11:21:26 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
One thing I noticed is that in Summer League the guards get all of the glory. Not just on our team, but seemingly all teams throughout. All the Point Guards get all the shine, and the 3s, 4s, and 5s are often forgotten. For instance, in the current game now, GSW vs LAL, both of point guards on either teams are leading in FGA. Because of this, it seems like Brown is having a lackluster performance, but more possibly it is due to the common play in summer league.

In a certain stretch in last nights game, I counted how many touches he got on the offensive end. It took 8 possessions for a teammate to pass him the ball.

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 11:23:07 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to  Denis998 for being the first to post in the Game Thread.

GoooooooooooCeltics!!!!! 

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 11:41:36 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Thanks flc for the thread and the ferocious puppies at the top.

The baby Celtics finally break out of their slump and win this one.  Looking forward to watches no them play.

goooooooo baby celtics!!    ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 07:17:55 AM »

Offline ashanm10

• NGT
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 11
  • Ahsan from Greece :D Panathinaikos and Celtics Fan
if we dont win this we cant go on in the summer league right?
🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

Banner 18...and BEYOND!!!

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 07:26:48 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Hoping once again to see Jaylen break out.  Much patience required.

FlCeltsFan is the only poster who even comes close to a 1:1 ratio of TP's-to-posts.  The rest of us are at 1:10 ratio or much worse.  Go FlCelts!

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 08:43:00 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Hoping once again to see Jaylen break out.  Much patience required.

FlCeltsFan is the only poster who even comes close to a 1:1 ratio of TP's-to-posts.  The rest of us are at 1:10 ratio or much worse.  Go FlCelts!

I don't know, I think Kevin Dasd had way better than a 1:1 ratio
I'm bitter.

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 09:08:28 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
One thing I noticed is that in Summer League the guards get all of the glory. Not just on our team, but seemingly all teams throughout. All the Point Guards get all the shine, and the 3s, 4s, and 5s are often forgotten. For instance, in the current game now, GSW vs LAL, both of point guards on either teams are leading in FGA. Because of this, it seems like Brown is having a lackluster performance, but more possibly it is due to the common play in summer league.

In a certain stretch in last nights game, I counted how many touches he got on the offensive end. It took 8 possessions for a teammate to pass him the ball.

SL games have almost no structure, as teams have very little time to put in an offense or set plays.  Therefore, whomever has the ball tries to create offense or just shoot.  PG's handling the ball the most, get the most shots, assists, etc. while everyone else just tries to pick up what scraps they can.

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 09:28:26 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

SL games have almost no structure, as teams have very little time to put in an offense or set plays.  Therefore, whomever has the ball tries to create offense or just shoot.  PG's handling the ball the most, get the most shots, assists, etc. while everyone else just tries to pick up what scraps they can.
All this is true, but Jaylen is just missing shots, even bunnies and layups, so I don't give him a pass just because it's SL.

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 05:59:44 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
I'm feeling a big Brown game today!

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 06:05:30 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
This team looks SOOOO much better with a real ball handler
I'm bitter.

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 06:05:53 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
yabu seems good but u can never tell
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 06:06:32 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Yabu nice assist!!