Author Topic: Abdel Nader (merged threads)  (Read 85589 times)

Re: Abdel Nader (merged threads)
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2017, 06:35:18 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Jalen Jones and Georges-Hunt are also prospects in the top 10 from the Red Claws. I know it's nothing to be ecstatic about, but good to see we have some decent talent on that team (outside of the Jackson/Mickey call-ups/downs.

It's really too bad that the NBADL doesn't work more like Minor League baseball...said for the billionth time here.

« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2017, 06:41:20 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2477
Jalen Jones and Georges-Hunt are also prospects in the top 10 from the Red Claws. I know it's nothing to be ecstatic about, but good to see we have some decent talent on that team (outside of the Jackson/Mickey call-ups/downs.

It's really too bad that the NBADL doesn't work more like Minor League baseball...said for the billionth time here.
Jones is solid. Exceptional athlete, can hit some 3's, but undersized as a PF and doesn't seem to have  a true position. Though in some ways that could be beneficial, as he can stretch the floor and is a threat to roll to the hoop for dunks. If he could improve his defensive efficiency, his versatility might land him a spot in the big leagues.

BTW I agree about the MLB thing. It is ridiculous.

« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2017, 07:00:55 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

It'll be a step closer to that next year, but we'll have to wait for the next CBA at least to get it where it truly needs to be.

« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2017, 07:22:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It'll be a step closer to that next year, but we'll have to wait for the next CBA at least to get it where it truly needs to be.
But will it ever be like MLB? In baseball even the top prospects have to usually go through years of minor league baseball learning their craft. You can probably go to just about any level of minor league baseball, watch a game and probably see one to three future MLB players and even some future superstars.

You will probably never see a future superstar in the NBADL. If you're lucky, you might catch a game where you might see a guy that might become a decent role player. The best talent do not learn their craft at the NBADL level, they learn it by playing minutes in the NBA. The talent level of the best of the best D-League  players and players in the NBA is still gigantic.

While I like what the new CBA did to allow parent NBA clubs the ability to have more young players on their rosters and integrate the NBADL with the NBA, I really don't see the D-League ever becoming a breeding ground for starter level NBA players. I just don't ever see it working like the MLB model.

« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2017, 08:21:17 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Will Nader even make it on our roster through the season? I think getting rid of him is a plus in any deal as it opens up a roster spot and eliminates someone that doesn't contribute anything. 

« Reply #110 on: December 28, 2017, 09:04:41 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
Just replied to a random thread to get something other than the game thread on the board.

Sad..
Sad...sad.

« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2018, 10:47:50 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
The 4 missed free throws were absolutely deflating. You can see it completely take the life out of our team.

« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2018, 11:23:21 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

But will it ever be like MLB? In baseball even the top prospects have to usually go through years of minor league baseball learning their craft. You can probably go to just about any level of minor league baseball, watch a game and probably see one to three future MLB players and even some future superstars.

You will probably never see a future superstar in the NBADL. If you're lucky, you might catch a game where you might see a guy that might become a decent role player. The best talent do not learn their craft at the NBADL level, they learn it by playing minutes in the NBA. The talent level of the best of the best D-League  players and players in the NBA is still gigantic.

While I like what the new CBA did to allow parent NBA clubs the ability to have more young players on their rosters and integrate the NBADL with the NBA, I really don't see the D-League ever becoming a breeding ground for starter level NBA players. I just don't ever see it working like the MLB model.

Pretty much agree that top talent seems able to go right up to the NBA, straight from high school in some cases.

But do teams still draft project players?  2-way deals seems to enable and encourage this, but shorter contracts don't. Current cap rules favor rosters with rookie scale players who can play, which discourages drafting projects.

Perk was a high school project role player who won a title as a starter, but that doesn't seem to happen much.  We had multiple mid firsts at the time as well, were going nowhere fast, and big stiffs were in demand.   Teams try not to suck so long that they have time to carry developmental players. The d league should be a place for pro teams to bring along the Perks, but overseas pays and is winning out.

I'd consider Rozier, who was a d league regular as a rookie, as the newest template for developing guys using the minor affiliate. But an NBA player shouldn't be in the D league long.

What's the future for roster construction and development?  The Spurs seem to grab NBA role players out of nowhere. Have they been using the Austin Toro's much?

« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2018, 01:43:45 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
The 4 missed free throws were absolutely deflating. You can see it completely take the life out of our team.

Brutal.

He had to have either set, or at the very least tied, a record of four missed FT on the same possession. I can’t think of a realistic scenario where a player can get 5 free throws (and then miss every single one).
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2018, 07:25:32 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Yet Nader was tied for the best plus/minus of anyone who played more than 5 minutes of that game.

It wasn't the 4 free throws that cost the game. It was the inability of anyone to even slow Davis down. It would have been nice to have Horford hit a couple of 3s to open up the defense. Morris and Monroe just simply were killed by Davis, Mirotic and Diallo (combined 67 points, 27 rebounds). Monroe was -25 in 26 minutes. Morris was -19 in 30. That's dreadful.

Complain about Nader all you want but he's not the reason the team lost.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2018, 08:27:07 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Yet Nader was tied for the best plus/minus of anyone who played more than 5 minutes of that game.

It wasn't the 4 free throws that cost the game. It was the inability of anyone to even slow Davis down. It would have been nice to have Horford hit a couple of 3s to open up the defense. Morris and Monroe just simply were killed by Davis, Mirotic and Diallo (combined 67 points, 27 rebounds). Monroe was -25 in 26 minutes. Morris was -19 in 30. That's dreadful.

Yeah well he still sucks.

« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2018, 08:43:32 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Completely disagree. That was a momentum killer. We were down 6 when Nader went to the line with the ability to cut the Pelicans lead to 2. Instead, he misses all 4 and the Pelicans go on a 19-5 run over the next 5:55 to push their lead to 20.

« Reply #117 on: March 19, 2018, 08:47:26 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Yeah, that's in case you needed another prime example of why plus-minus is a worthless stat.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #118 on: March 19, 2018, 09:18:44 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
I don't understand the amount of attention Nader gets from some on this board. He was the 58th pick in his draft, is an NBA rookie, and making about 1% of the salary cap. He's not a great or even good player right now but every time I watch him he plays hard, stays engaged on defense and doesn't disrupt the offense. He's no star-in-the-making but I don't see any reason he can't grow into a reliable bench wing.

Over these last 3 games where he's had to step up, I though he's looked ok (going 2-8 at the line last night notwithstanding).
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #119 on: March 19, 2018, 09:37:24 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I don't understand the amount of attention Nader gets from some on this board. He was the 58th pick in his draft, is an NBA rookie, and making about 1% of the salary cap. He's not a great or even good player right now but every time I watch him he plays hard, stays engaged on defense and doesn't disrupt the offense. He's no star-in-the-making but I don't see any reason he can't grow into a reliable bench wing.

Over these last 3 games where he's had to step up, I though he's looked ok (going 2-8 at the line last night notwithstanding).

15th guy on the roster, pushed into a role because we have so many injuries.  The over-reaction to some missed free throws is ridiculous, but unfortunately all too in character for many on this board.