Author Topic: Boogie Trade Idea: Boston/Cleveland/Sacramento  (Read 3049 times)

Boogie Trade Idea: Boston/Cleveland/Sacramento
« on: July 09, 2016, 07:49:39 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
With both Boston and Cleveland/Love linked to a potential Cousins trade, I think we should look into a potential three-way trade with them involving Love. I don't seriously think that Cleveland wants Cousins, who doesn't really fit their style or what they're wanting to do. However, they do have a need for one of our perimeter defenders, and we want Cousins. So here's what I propose:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=zr2lkl6

Boston: Cousins, Collison

Cleveland: Bradley, Jerebko, Olynyk, 2019 Clippers pick

Sacramento: Love, Rozier, Young, 2018 Brooklyn pick, 2019 Memphis pick

Why for Cleveland: Bradley is pretty much the perfect two guard to put next to Irving due to his shooting, terrific on-ball D, and low usage. Further, the way they use Love as pretty much a stretch-4, Olynyk can bring 80% of what Love brings outside of the rebounding with better shooting. JJ also brings a versatile defender who can hit the 3 off the bench for them, who would be a perfect fit next to Frye in the second unit. One of the biggest advantages of this deal though would be them clearing roughly $14-15M in cap space for next summer for them to possibly add another piece.

Why for Sacramento: Though many would argue how smart this would be (including me), Sacramento seems to want a "star" type player to replace Cousins in a trade, and Love would give them just that. He'd also fit well next to WCS. They'd also get a good point guard prospect in Rozier, a look at Young, and two good to really good picks in the Brooklyn and Memphis picks.

Why for Boston: We finally get our franchise-type talent in Boogie, who would give us just a terrific two-way frontcourt with Crowder, Horford, and Cousins. There's not many centers in the NBA that can stop Cousins, certainly not Tristan Thompson, who is too small. We also get a really good backup point guard in Collison that will help run the second unit, while we also get to keep one of the Brooklyn picks and Brown for this year. This would leave us with the following lineup:

PG: IT, Collison
SG: Smart, FA (Martin?)
SF: Crowder, Brown
PF: Horford, Sully (resigned to a one year deal)
C: Cousins, Amir

Who says no?

Re: Boogie Trade Idea: Boston/Cleveland/Sacramento
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 08:59:15 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
One of the better trade proposals I've read on here, so TP for the suggestion.

I don't think the C's would sign free agents to fill out the roster.  You only listed ten roster slots, and the C's would probably keep Hunter and Mickey on board as the final two men.  Hunter would get some opportunity as the backup 2, and Mickey would have a roster slot, maybe even in place of Sullinger.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 09:03:47 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 09:37:10 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
I would rather not have Darren Collison this minute.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/kings-guard-darren-collison-charged-with-domestic-violence/

Eh, we kept Sullinger in a vaguely similar situation, and he'd only been in the league a year at the time. Collison would be fine as a backup point guard for a year.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 09:57:06 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
This trade leaves all teams better off, IMO. Sacramento has a glut of 5's so acquiring Love seems a better fit. Plus, they get an exciting PG in Rozier plus some high value picks for their rebuild.

Still, I don't see it happening because Cousins is locked up for multiple years. If he demands a trade though, this is one of the better scenarios for all GM's involved.
- LilRip

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 10:04:21 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Yeah. Good idea. Can you work Benny Mac in there somehow instead of collison?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 10:10:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I' d DO IT ......yes to get Boogie

But Danny would NOT do this trade.....your axing him to give up his youngest son KO .......he thinks KO is the ultimate player.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 10:27:12 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Yeah. Good idea. Can you work Benny Mac in there somehow instead of collison?

There ya go!

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=z76fzxj

For what it's worth this really fixes our roster crunch in a good way.

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 11:41:19 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
My only problem with this trade is:

1) We have Brooklyn 2017

2) Sac knows that we do

3) We are getting a top ten player and not including our most valuable draft asset. IMO that's a deal breaker as quantity is not a substitute for quality. From our point of view, what is the chance that this unknown player from next years draft is ever as good as Cousins? 10%? Less? I wouldn't hesitate to put that pick into the deal instead of Brooklyn 2018 considering who we are getting and we're only giving up one core player.

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 12:00:22 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/kings-guard-darren-collison-charged-with-domestic-violence/

Eh, we kept Sullinger in a vaguely similar situation, and he'd only been in the league a year at the time. Collison would be fine as a backup point guard for a year.

Sullinger's was a) not quite as bad (threats and intimidation but no actual violence), and b) I wasn't a fan of keeping him around at that point either.

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 12:06:16 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
My only problem with this trade is:

1) We have Brooklyn 2017

2) Sac knows that we do

3) We are getting a top ten player and not including our most valuable draft asset. IMO that's a deal breaker as quantity is not a substitute for quality. From our point of view, what is the chance that this unknown player from next years draft is ever as good as Cousins? 10%? Less? I wouldn't hesitate to put that pick into the deal instead of Brooklyn 2018 considering who we are getting and we're only giving up one core player.

Though I'd much rather have the 2017 pick swap, I wouldn't be opposed to switching out the 2017 pick swap with the 2018 actual Brooklyn pick, as long as we don't ultimately have to give up both of them in this deal.

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 12:09:24 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Sullinger's was a) not quite as bad (threats and intimidation but no actual violence), and b) I wasn't a fan of keeping him around at that point either.

Didn't he choke his girlfriend on his bed or something? I thought it was something pretty substantial.

Either way, Collison isn't a deal-breaker for me. I just think he's an excellent fit for our system being a very good perimeter defender and a really good three point shooter, too. He'd be an excellent guy to lead the second unit, and I'd love to see his fit with Smart and Crowder. I wouldn't mind substituting Mcelmore for him, I guess.

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 07:21:18 AM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
I suspect if LeBron could have anybody potentially available on his team, he would pick Carmelo Anthony rather than DeMarcus Cousins or Avery Bradley, so why not try a four-team trade as follows:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=j8oxfvz

Boston - DeMarcus Cousins
Cleveland - Carmelo Anthony
New York - Amir Johnson, Jonas Jerebko, Kelly Olynyk, Brooklyn '17, Brooklyn '18
Sacramento - Kevin Love

From the viewpoint of Sacramento, they are trading Cousins for Love, which is VERY palatable to their fan base considering Love is a California guy, is on a long-term contract, is a former all-star with production equal to Cousins when he is the go-to guy, etc. If necessary, we could throw Memphis' 19 or Clippers '19 their way.

From the viewpoint of Cleveland, they are giving up Kevin Love for Carmelo Anthony, which receives LeBron's stamp of approval.

From the viewpoint of New York, they are giving up an aging Carmelo Anthony for likely two lottery picks, a serviceable starter in Amir Johnson, a solid prospect in Kelly Olynyk, and a decent role player in Jerebko. They are basically stating this is now Porzingis' team, which is probably not a bad move. Do Jeff Hornacek and Phil Jackson really think they should continue onward with a 32 year old Carmelo rather than building around a 21 year old Porzingis? Don't forget that the Knicks had a deficient draft this year...

From our viewpoint, we are moving three guys on expiring contracts and the two Brooklyn picks for the best center in the league and arguably one of the top five players in the NBA. All without losing a single piece of our core. A huge win, especially when you consider the possibility of Olynyk receiving a contract we simply cannot afford to match next offseason.

Potential snafu: If New York really likes Kevin Love's game, why not just trade Kevin Love for Carmelo Anthony and pair Love with Porzingis? The question becomes whether New York values Olynyk, Johnson, Jerebko, Brooklyn '17 and Brooklyn '18 more than Love.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 07:29:38 AM by meangreenmachine »

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 07:29:11 AM »

Offline adam.jones614

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
I suspect if LeBron could have anybody potentially available on his team, he would pick Carmelo Anthony rather than DeMarcus Cousins or Avery Bradley, so why not try a four-team trade as follows:

New York - Amir Johnson, Jonas Jerebko, Kelly Olynyk, Brooklyn '17, Brooklyn '18
Sacramento - Kevin Love

From the viewpoint of Sacramento, they are trading Cousins for Love, which is VERY palatable to their fan base considering Love is a California guy, is on a long-term contract, is a former all-star with production equal to Cousins when he is the go-to guy, etc. If necessary, we could throw Memphis' 19 or Clippers '19 their way.

From the viewpoint of Cleveland, they are giving up Kevin Love for Carmelo Anthony, which receives LeBron's stamp of approval.

From the viewpoint of New York, they are giving up an aging Carmelo Anthony for likely two lottery picks, a serviceable starter in Amir Johnson, a solid prospect in Kelly Olynyk, and a decent role player in Jerebko. They are basically stating this is now Porzingis' team, which is probably not a bad move. Do Jeff Hornacek and Phil Jackson really think they should continue onward with a 32 year old Carmelo rather than building around a 21 year old Porzingis?

From our viewpoint, we are moving three guys on expiring contracts and the two Brooklyn picks for the best center in the league and arguably one of the top five players in the NBA. All without losing a single piece of our core. A huge win, especially when you consider the possibility of Olynyk receiving a contract we simply cannot afford to match next offseason.

Potential snafu: If New York really likes Kevin Love's game, why not just trade Kevin Love for Carmelo Anthony and pair Love with Porzingis? The question becomes whether New York values Olynyk, Johnson, Jerebko, Brooklyn '17 and Brooklyn '18 more than Love.

I think this is beyond a fair trade but I doubt the Knicks do it because they seem all in on their 2010 All star line up

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 07:30:50 AM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36

Sacramento - Kevin Love

From the viewpoint of New York, they are giving up an aging Carmelo Anthony for likely two lottery picks, a serviceable starter in Amir Johnson, a solid prospect in Kelly Olynyk, and a decent role player in Jerebko. They are basically stating this is now Porzingis' team, which is probably not a bad move. Do Jeff Hornacek and Phil Jackson really think they should continue onward with a 32 year old Carmelo rather than building around a 21 year old Porzingis?

I think this is beyond a fair trade but I doubt the Knicks do it because they seem all in on their 2010 All star line up

True, but what if LeBron calls up Carmelo, pitches him on the idea of joining Cleveland, and then demands a trade to Cleveland? I think anything is possible then.