Author Topic: Question: Amir Johnson & Acquiring Max Contracts  (Read 2356 times)

Question: Amir Johnson & Acquiring Max Contracts
« on: July 09, 2016, 03:27:51 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Are we simply able to waive Amir Johnson via amnesty or some other provision?

I ask this because if so, we could feasibly acquire a contract we don't want such as Rudy Gay to land DeMarcus Cousins given our cap flexibility...not saying we would want to but trying to clarify if this is an available option to us. Rud Gay is heading to free agency with Cousins so we aren't tied to him long as his expiring contract could be valuable in another trade following this...

Re: Question: Amir Johnson & Acquiring Max Contracts
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 03:36:10 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Are we simply able to waive Amir Johnson via amnesty or some other provision?

I ask this because if so, we could feasibly acquire a contract we don't want such as Rudy Gay to land DeMarcus Cousins given our cap flexibility...not saying we would want to but trying to clarify if this is an available option to us. Rud Gay is heading to free agency with Cousins so we aren't tied to him long as his expiring contract could be valuable in another trade following this...

No.  The Amnesty Provision only applied to contracts signed before the new CBA was made. Waiving him would still leave his money on the books

Even if it were possible to get his money off the books, it wouldn't make any sense to do so (unless we were signing someone).  It would make much more sense to send him out in a trade, since he could bring in ~$15 million on his own (as opposed to creating $12 million in cap space)

There's no way for us to bring in Cousins and Gay on a trade without sending out someone like AB, so that isn't going to haooen.  If SAC wanted to get rid of Gay after trading us Cousins, a third team would need to be involved (and given his current contract, he has value both as an underpaid player and a likely expiring contract, so they could get something in return)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 03:42:59 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I see Avery Bradley as more expendable than you. A package of Amir Johnson, Avery Bradley, Jonas Jerebko and Terry Rozier matches salaries for Cousins and Gay.

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 08:53:29 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I see Avery Bradley as more expendable than you. A package of Amir Johnson, Avery Bradley, Jonas Jerebko and Terry Rozier matches salaries for Cousins and Gay.
If this were the deal the Kings want, I think you have to pull the trigger.

IT, Smart, Gay, Horford, Cousins with 6th man of Crowder is a contender.

Kings might want Crowder instead of JJ, and of course you have to add both BKN picks.

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 09:42:41 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
If this were the deal the Kings want, I think you have to pull the trigger.

IT, Smart, Gay, Horford, Cousins with 6th man of Crowder is a contender.

Kings might want Crowder instead of JJ, and of course you have to add both BKN picks.

Would leave us with a thin backcourt though. Jackson, Hunter and Young as first guard off the bench scares me. If we could trade Young+Hunter instead of Rozier we'd be better. Plus I'd start Crowder over Gay. Put Gay as our ET. I dont think we need to get Gay though.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 10:11:14 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Hey I heard from some guy on Twitter that cousins is demanding a trade and has named the Celtics as the only team he'll play for.
That means sac has got to take our dregs and redundant pieces.

I also heard that cousins and Sacramento will sign a legal agreement stating that cousins will run back on D and  respect his coach and teammates. If he fails to do so sac will take him back and send us their next 4 first round pics!

This is a no brainer, get it done Danny!
If you don't you are a failure as a GM.

(I'd link to the Twit, but it was deleted, further evidence that the deal is imminent!)

EDIT: the above post is pure sarcasm

« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 12:45:11 PM by arctic 3.0 »

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 10:15:40 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I would have no issue trading AB in a package for Boogie, but trading him just to make sure we can bring in Rudy Gay? No thanks.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 10:35:07 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Hey I heard from some guy on Twitter that cousins is demanding a trade and has named the Celtics as the only team he'll play for.

I also heard that cousins and Sacramento will sign a legal agreement stating that cousins will run back on D and  respect his coach and teammates. If he fails to do so sac will take him back and send us their next 4 first round pics!

(I'd link to the Twit, but it was deleted, further evidence that the deal is imminent!)
...or maybe it was deleted because it isn't true...just a thought...

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 11:26:34 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Daniel Ochefu....

Oh, sorry BLA. Forgot who I wAs for a second.

I really liked Denzel Valentine. I probably would've picked him of Yabs. Seemed to me like a polished guy who could contribute early in an ET like role, except he can actually shoot 3's. Though I understand that with the Brown pick (which I liked but might have picked Bender at 3), plus having Smart and Rozier who need on-ball minutes it may have been hard to find him a role. Plus, there was re

I was surprised DA didn't take Labissiere though. That's one of his kinda guys. Once was rated a top 3 prospect but slid far due to a few different factors.

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 12:33:27 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406

...or maybe it was deleted because it isn't true...just a thought...

My post was pure sarcasm.

I thought it was pretty evident.