Author Topic: How do trade preparations work? (DeMarcus Cousins)  (Read 4901 times)

Re: How do trade preparations work? (DeMarcus Cousins)
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 06:07:57 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
My initial offer for Cousins AND McLemore would be:

2017 Brooklyn 1st
2017 All 2nd round picks
2018 Brooklyn 1st
2019 Boston 1st
Johnson
Jerebko
Their choice of any combination, including none: Rozier, Hunter, Young

Here is the most I would be willing to offer for Cousins AND McLemore:

2017 Brooklyn 1st
2017 All 2nd round picks
2018 Brooklyn 1st
2019 Boston 1st
2019 Clippers 1st
2019 Memphis 1st
Olynyk
Johnson
Jerebko
Their choice of any combination, including none: Rozier, Hunter, Young, Jackson, Bentil, Nader
I think your initial offer doesn't include both Brooklyn picks or McLemore. Then you offer to include KO with McLemore in return. You probably end up with Belinelli in return instead. But you do your hardest to keep one Brooklyn pick and if you give it up you get extra value, more than just McLemore for sure

Edit: And the Mem pick! So we empty our entire cupboard of picks on our initial offer?? If we go in like that we are automatically at a disadvantage because we come across desperate
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 06:22:31 AM by TheSundanceKid »

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 07:44:18 AM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
You can't offer BK17 and BOS18 because 17 counts as a pick swap and you can't trade back to back 1st rounders

This is true, which is why I kept Boston '18 off the table and I added Boston '19 instead (And, with any luck, Boston '19 will be the 30th overall pick, so who cares?).

Yes, we are giving up a boatload of picks in the above scenario where we go all-in, but we are not trading ALL of our first-round picks the next three years. We are still retaining '18.

Given that we have used five first-round picks in the past two years, I think we can make do without first-round picks in '17 and '19 so long as we land a 25 year old DeMarcus Cousins now. Sacrificing two years of the draft, after having two years that got you five picks, for a top 5 NBA player and the best big man in the game? Oh, and that big man is only turning 26? Sign me up. We have no shortage of youth as is, so we are not mortgaging our future...

I think it is overly optimistic to believe we can possibly get Cousins without giving up both Brooklyn picks. No way would Vlade go for that. I mean, maybe if you sacrificed Thomas or Bradley, but I want to keep our core intact when we add Boogie, so we do not become the Sacramento of the East. That is more important than some hypothetical lottery picks that may or may not pan out for us.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 07:50:24 AM by meangreenmachine »

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2016, 08:00:27 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
You can't offer BK17 and BOS18 because 17 counts as a pick swap and you can't trade back to back 1st rounders

This is true, which is why I kept Boston '18 off the table and I added Boston '19 instead (And, with any luck, Boston '19 will be the 30th overall pick, so who cares?).

Yes, we are giving up a boatload of picks in the above scenario where we go all-in, but we are not trading ALL of our first-round picks the next three years. We are still retaining '18.

Given that we have used five first-round picks in the past two years, I think we can make do without first-round picks in '17 and '19 so long as we land a 25 year old DeMarcus Cousins now. Sacrificing two years of the draft, after having two years that got you five picks, for a top 5 NBA player and the best big man in the game? Oh, and that big man is only turning 26? Sign me up. We have no shortage of youth as is, so we are not mortgaging our future...

I think it is overly optimistic to believe we can possibly get Cousins without giving up both Brooklyn picks. No way would Vlade go for that. I mean, maybe if you sacrificed Thomas or Bradley, but I want to keep our core intact when we add Boogie, so we do not become the Sacramento of the East. That is more important than some hypothetical lottery picks that may or may not pan out for us.

I would be okay with giving up those picks due to what this offseason has partially shown us. We got the 2nd best free agent without any "transcendant talent." I think demarcus is viewed more positively by other players than he is by the media and fans. Add demarcus to this team, win 56 ish games, go deep into the playoffs (put up a fight in the semis or win a couple games against Cleveland,) and this team will be a destination. Also demarcus is one of the only players who is good enough to punish both the cavs and GSW only weaknesses. And he can shoot and defend and pass. Also he is young enough that getting him wouldn't necessarily expedite the rebuild. We could allow the younger guys to continue to develop while winning games. It would be a great situation.
#JKJB

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2016, 08:06:32 AM »

Offline ashanm10

• NGT
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 11
  • Ahsan from Greece :D Panathinaikos and Celtics Fan
most of our players i guess you could say are at their prime years? so probably thats why the buzz of trades for us as if we get that one transcendent talent, we can become a somewhat legit contender. Especially with the addition of Boogie for sure....no matter how crazy he may be, Brad will find a way to squeeze out production from him and its gonna be so good that we will overlook everything else :)

But [dang] I really want to hold onto those Net picks... :(
🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

Banner 18...and BEYOND!!!

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2016, 08:41:41 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

The Stepian Rule actually allows you to trade your own picks in back-to-back years, provided that you have another first rounder in one of those years.  So, while we can't trade BRK 2017, BRK 2018, and BOS 2018, we can trade BRK 2017 and BOS 2018 (since we would still have a pick in 2018)

It also means that we could trade BRK 2017, BRK 2018, and BOS 2018 provided we had another 2017 or 2018 pick coming back
I'm bitter.

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2016, 12:13:11 PM »

Offline Phil125

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 57
First thing you do is get Boogie a psychiatric evaluation.  Then when they come back and say this guy is to use the technical term "NUTS".  We decide to not trade for him.

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2016, 12:16:10 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
People want McLemore?

I figure he'd be salary they are dumping on us in a Boogie deal.

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2016, 12:26:08 PM »

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35

If Sacremento will accept both Brooklyn picks (and any other player outside our core) then I would be more than please to make that deal, and whatever late-1st or 2nd-rounds they want. Like you said, that's a pretty good deal for a Top 10 NBA player who's only 25 years old!

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2016, 12:27:32 PM »

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35

The Stepian Rule actually allows you to trade your own picks in back-to-back years, provided that you have another first rounder in one of those years.  So, while we can't trade BRK 2017, BRK 2018, and BOS 2018, we can trade BRK 2017 and BOS 2018 (since we would still have a pick in 2018)

It also means that we could trade BRK 2017, BRK 2018, and BOS 2018 provided we had another 2017 or 2018 pick coming back

Thank you for explaining that. TP

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2016, 12:40:57 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I would trade all the picks plus Smart and amir. Any more of our core and I'd be uncomfortable.

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2016, 12:52:58 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff
Cousins is about as close to transcendent talent that you can acquire in this league. If you stop and think about it, Demarcus has literally never had any semblance of stability.
Most people agree that a team culture is developed starting with their head coach. However, since he was drafted in 2010, Demarcus enters next year with his 6th head coach. How can any continuity be developed for a team towards a winning culture, when they pull the rug out on their star literally every year. It is kind of amazing he has been as successful as he has.

So yes, if you have an opportunity to trade for demarcus, you take it. He could be the pillar we continue to build and contend around. Lock him up, let him buy into the celtic tradition and mantra, and boom we have that superstar. Plus, even as a 25 year old, his game isn't built around ultra athleticism. This would mean that as he continues develop, or as he ages, he should have a large window of ability.

Get boogie danny. Just do it.
#JKJB

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2016, 01:16:43 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Cousins is about as close to transcendent talent that you can acquire in this league. If you stop and think about it, Demarcus has literally never had any semblance of stability.
Most people agree that a team culture is developed starting with their head coach. However, since he was drafted in 2010, Demarcus enters next year with his 6th head coach. How can any continuity be developed for a team towards a winning culture, when they pull the rug out on their star literally every year.
Easy. Don't get your coaches fired, how about that?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2016, 01:18:47 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Most people agree that a team culture is developed starting with their head coach. However, since he was drafted in 2010, Demarcus enters next year with his 6th head coach. How can any continuity be developed for a team towards a winning culture, when they pull the rug out on their star literally every year.

Boogie tried that with Mike Malone, but it still didn't work
I'm bitter.

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2016, 01:20:30 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff

Pretty sure that while we have heard of minor strife, the only coach that he truly got fired was George Karl. And can you blame the guy, Karl had been putting Boogie in awkward positions all year. He also basically tried to have cousins traded. You can't put the dysfunction of the Kings organization solely on Cousins head.
#JKJB

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2016, 01:33:30 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Pretty sure that while we have heard of minor strife, the only coach that he truly got fired was George Karl. And can you blame the guy, Karl had been putting Boogie in awkward positions all year. He also basically tried to have cousins traded. You can't put the dysfunction of the Kings organization solely on Cousins head.
http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/NBA-Sacramento-Kings-fire-Paul-Westphal-after-feud-with-DeMarcus-Cousins-010511
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."