Author Topic: terrible signing for Celtics = Horford  (Read 4848 times)

Re: One of the worst signings in history = Horford
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2016, 02:13:14 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I take it back , I tried to make it seem like i totally hated this signing which I do

I overexaggerated purposely just to make it known how awful i think this signing is

obviously guys like Solomon Hill who got signed for 54 million are just one of the few horrific signings

but im just saying, Horford is one of the most annoying players ever. He is not good at all, and I feel a heavy decline almost immediately.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/horfoal01.html

Dude averaged double figures his entire career, while shooting 50% from 2 save for his rookie season in which he shot .499. Averaged more than 1 block per game apart from his rookie year (.9)

We dont know how Horford will be for us, no one knows the future. But to say he "isn't that good of a player" is a huge bag of baloney.

Re: terrible signing for Celtics = Horford
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2016, 02:19:30 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I agree that some these "stars" are pretty overrated considering what they get paid compared to other players.  We could put together a scrub team that could compete with some of these guys that have a little extra whatever it is. But you have to take those steps at some point to compete.  I'd love it if we just developed our own players but getting a guy like Horford  plus someone else is the difference between being good and being really good.

That's just the way it is.  The media beats this stuff into peoples heads.  There are other ways to do things though.  I don't necessarily buy the mindset we have to spend 100 mil on some of these guys.  Just look at "Price" so far in Boston.  Has he really delivered or have guys like Papi and their young guys done that.

Probaly why i don't like steroid use either and all that stuff. it's selfish.  It's not an even playing field.  It's money in a select fews pockets when a lot of these guys are pretty overrated.

What would be an even playing field would be an even playing field without any of that stuff where everything was fair and the guys who truly are the best get paid like that.

I don't think Horford is that great. I agree with Tommy in that regard.  If you watch him play he really isn't.  That money went somewhere and it could go worse places though.

The issue I think is some of these guys affect the entire landscape of the NBA with the stuff they do and it's not always good.

The media hypes up these guys like they are teaching us something about life when eh. I listen to it from people on the net who are mindless zombies because of the media. It's sad.

I'm not even cynical.  Just perceptive. People are naive at how perceptive people are. I see you too.

As it stands it's basketball.  Horford is an upgrade over what we had.  A 100 million dollar upgrade not so sure.  It's the way the cap is set up though.  If the celtics want to spend that money that's ok. They could spend it worse places.

It may or may not attract other stars but that's the objective.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 02:45:06 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2016, 03:00:10 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Horford also as it stands is one of the best "all around" big men in the nba.  Tim Duncan is gone.  Al Horford as far as an all around big man who will pass, score in a variety of ways, block shots etc is the best one.   We made a really good choice that way.

Horford is a quality player. Ray Allen was that.  Horford to me may not be worth 100 million dollars and not be winning and humanitarian awards from me.  But he actually is top of the top as far as the nba is concerned. Ray Allen had this squeaky clean image too.  Wasn't all that. Horford seems alright to me.   He isn't a Lebron level player or Westbrook. But as far as all around centers go he is it right now. Seems like a good dude and I'll root for him.

This is where Heinsohn is kind of right though.   You body up a guy like Horford and he can be stopped.  He isn't Tim Duncan or on that level. The Celtics of old would eat guys like Horford for lunch and better players than that too.

this is where Heinsohn is right a lot more than people who are supposedly being "objective" are.  He's trying to get the most of out of the celtics.  Hopefully Horford means that he respects Tommy's opinion.  It could make him a  better player.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 04:20:08 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2016, 04:24:59 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
I thought Troy Murphy was a terrible signing lol.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2016, 06:37:18 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
people catch feelings in here too easily.

It's funny because I can go back to posts from some of you and rip you to pieces with some of the predictions or some of the statements about former players that ended burning down in flames

Rondo , Jason Terry, on and on and on

Everyone acts like they are always right without facts....at least I have a decent track record

It's not because im some kind of genious but it's because I don't jump to a conclusion immediately

Everybody here either goes by one instance (a game or a stretch of games) or they literally will convince themselves that this is what it is and will be.

I watched Horford play past few years....the guy averages what? 15 and 6?

He shot a lot of 3's compared to years before, maybe that's the league changing but 15 point output is not that good

He has had playoff games where he totally stunk it up, against the celtics for example

he also had games where he scored 8 , 10 , 10 11, in the playoffs

He reminds me of Kris Humphries with a slightly better all around games lol.

« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2016, 06:39:54 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
Horford also as it stands is one of the best "all around" big men in the nba.  Tim Duncan is gone.  Al Horford as far as an all around big man who will pass, score in a variety of ways, block shots etc is the best one.   We made a really good choice that way.

Horford is a quality player. Ray Allen was that.  Horford to me may not be worth 100 million dollars and not be winning and humanitarian awards from me.  But he actually is top of the top as far as the nba is concerned. Ray Allen had this squeaky clean image too.  Wasn't all that. Horford seems alright to me.   He isn't a Lebron level player or Westbrook. But as far as all around centers go he is it right now. Seems like a good dude and I'll root for him.

This is where Heinsohn is kind of right though.   You body up a guy like Horford and he can be stopped.  He isn't Tim Duncan or on that level. The Celtics of old would eat guys like Horford for lunch and better players than that too.

this is where Heinsohn is right a lot more than people who are supposedly being "objective" are.  He's trying to get the most of out of the celtics.  Hopefully Horford means that he respects Tommy's opinion.  It could make him a  better player.

Ray Allen was a great player, who was going to break more records and do more great things stats wise If he had not come to Boston.

Horford isn't even close to being who Ray Allen was.

Ray Allen was top 10 in those days.

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2016, 07:04:36 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Ray was a better player than Horford.  But he was a 3rd wheel for us. Horford is good though.  He's a top 20 player in the nba probably. Might slide to  top 30 on a bad week and in the high teens on a good week. Ray was a top 10 player in the nba it seemed at times at his best.  Lower half of that but he was up  there at times.

I dont think there is a huge difference though.  Ray you could say was the 8th best player in the nba.  Horford could go as high as 12. Maybe higher for both if we are drafting in fantasy.  I just remember ray would be anywhere from 1st to 3rd round. Horford is kind of  the same but a tad lower.

I agree though Ray was better.  He was better than Pierce at times as far as putting up numbers and his shooting.

he was the 3rd wheel for us but may have been different if ray was our guy and we traded for pierce and kg.

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2016, 07:11:40 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Tommy does kind of underrate Horford that way though.  Ray is a surefire hall of famer.  Why not Horford?  I agree horford is kind of fringe and his game in atlanta and style of play isn't as eye catching.  Horford wins with us he might deserve to go in. He's pretty underrated.

Horford is kind of in that mix of upper echelon big men but just not as good as the best guys. Ray was one of the best shooters there was ever.

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2016, 07:14:33 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Such a troll thread.

Horford is not a Top 10 player in the league. But, he is a 4x all star player who fits the way Stevens likes to play. Is he worth the money? Probably not but based off what scrub bench players were getting, you really didn't have a choice. The market dictates what the guys will make and the market was stupid crazy with the massive jump in cap space.

We saw what kind of impact the addition of one all star calibre player to roster had (IT4). I expect Horford to be a positive impact on the team as well. He might not be the final answer but he's part of the solution. He's the best big on our roster right now and we should be thankful we don't have to see the likes of Zeller or Sullinger getting regular minutes anymore.

« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2016, 07:21:50 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Everyone acts like they are always right without facts....at least I have a decent track record

You've not posted any facts, only blow-hard opinion and hyperbole.

A fact is:  a thing that is indisputably the case, used in discussing the significance of something that is the case, a piece of information used as evidence or as part of a report or news article.

You done absolutely nothing factual.  You have presented opinion.

It's not because im some kind of genious but it's because I don't jump to a conclusion immediately

Genious of course you mean genius, again another case of you "usually right"

Turrible thread

This was so funny, I almost fell out of my chair laughing.  TP

Such a troll thread.

This is not a troll thread, because this guy is not worthy of the label of troll.  Troll irritate, but I actually feel sorry for this guy.  This is a pathetic attempt at best to get under people's skin.   It is like having a witty verbal repartee with a mute person, it is so one-sided against him.  Perhaps we should call him a goblin because this is not troll-worthy?

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2016, 07:22:16 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I cannot believe it

Last year I was laughing at how trash he was and now we sign him

unbelievable.. he is one of my most hated players. When he makes shots I am baffled at how they go in, sort of like how I used to laugh at Josh Smith's shots when he was being loved by every fan and gm in the league. Absolutely disgusting.
You know nothing about Brad's system he is a perfect fit. What other big could we sign who would better. We gave up nothing and he will be an all-star this year. It is sad the threads that get started on this blog.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2016, 07:24:28 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton

You've not posted any facts, only blow-hard opinion and hyperbole.

A fact is:  a thing that is indisputably the case, used in discussing the significance of something that is the case, a piece of information used as evidence or as part of a report or news article.

You done absolutely nothing factual.  You have presented opinion.

Genious of course you mean genius, again another case of you "usually right"

Turrible thread

This was so funny, I almost fell out of my chair laughing.  TP

Such a troll thread.

This is not a troll thread, because this guy is not worthy of the label of troll.  Troll irritate, but I actually feel sorry for this guy.  This is a pathetic attempt at best to get under people's skin.   It is like having a witty verbal repartee with a mute person, it is so one-sided against him.  Perhaps we should call him a goblin because this is not troll-worthy?

You are pathetic. Sorry for getting under your skin.

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2016, 07:25:48 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
I cannot believe it

Last year I was laughing at how trash he was and now we sign him

unbelievable.. he is one of my most hated players. When he makes shots I am baffled at how they go in, sort of like how I used to laugh at Josh Smith's shots when he was being loved by every fan and gm in the league. Absolutely disgusting.
You know nothing about Brad's system he is a perfect fit. What other big could we sign who would better. We gave up nothing and he will be an all-star this year. It is sad the threads that get started on this blog.

I don't care nor know who else we could have signed, but to me this does nothing, im telling you now we will be the same team unless Smart shoots like 45 percent from the field this year.

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2016, 07:28:03 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
We are better with Horford.  100 million dollars better no. Horford gives us a legitament player down low.  Sully's percentages in his career have been terrible.  I think Horford as a defender is somewhat overrated but he's still better than Sully was at times for us.

The point of getting Horford is it could attract someone else as well.  That's why he's worth 100 million dollars.  Still ridiculous but that money by todays nba standards is pretty normal. He's a top 20 player.  It's fine.

Ray got a max contract.  Horford is basically the same thing.  HE's not quite  as good as Ray but it's fine.

With the lack of big men in the NBA it's really fine. He's in the upper echelon.

Spending 70 ml on Mozgov is absurd. Troy Murphy also absurd.  Horford is fine.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 07:33:40 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2016, 07:43:18 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
If Sully ends up turning his career around and ends up like David Ortiz then I'll worry. Sully is much younger. Ortiz had his struggles early on and the sox found him off the scrap heap.  Some team could strike gold with sully that way where Horford is just a fairly mediocre max player who doesnt attract anyone for us then it's bad. 

Then Ainge should be canned for listening to the media and the internet idiots.  Then yes I'll be upset.

Baseball is different but it took Ortiz a bit to get his percentages and body right as well.

That's one thing I question about Ainge sometimes is he is pretty loyal but then he will follow trends sometimes because the media says this is what he should do.  He doesn't do it often but he does sometimes succumb to media pressure or ownership that the celtics have to make these big moves.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 07:56:11 AM by walker834 »