Author Topic: Time Travel  (Read 2341 times)

Time Travel
« on: July 06, 2016, 10:22:47 PM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
Do you think time travel is possible? Given the grandfather paradox and butterfly effect, is it only possible to travel forward in time? Or is the multiverse theory possible, with time travel restricted to the past only? If so, one would suspect that a considerable amount of people from the future would brush up on their history, travel back in time to their favorite era, make a fortune in business, and live comfortably as a master of their own universe, so to speak (one way to solve the scarcity problem in the future!). Who is to say this has not already happened in our universe? Who is a candidate for "secretly from the future" in our particular universe?

A few off the wall questions that might spur interesting conversations. I lean towards time travel being impossible, but I suppose https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcz_kDCBTBk
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 10:30:25 PM by meangreenmachine »

Re: Time Travel
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 10:26:57 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
It must be possible, I've already seen a few people on this blog that have traveled to the future and come back just to let us know that Jaylen Brown is going to be a bust  :P
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 10:29:58 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
It must be possible, I've already seen a few people on this blog that have traveled to the future and come back just to let us know that Jaylen Brown is going to be a bust  :P

To be fair, there have also been some, seemingly, who have traveled to the future and seen that Brown is a smashing success.  ;)
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 10:34:26 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
It will be eventually, if we don't blow ourselves up, have asteroids cause mass extinction before we can reach that level of technology.

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 10:36:04 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

To be fair, there have also been some, seemingly, who have traveled to the future and seen that Brown is a smashing success.  ;)

parallel universe!

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 10:36:31 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Call me an old-fashioned essentialist, but I think if you're traveling through time then you are no longer human. There's an element of constructed consciousness involving a sequential narrative and lack of control that is destroyed with time travel.

Read "The End of Eternity" by Isaac Asimov. It's sweet.

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 10:55:58 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Do you think time travel is possible? Given the grandfather paradox and butterfly effect, is it only possible to travel forward in time? Or is the multiverse theory possible, with time travel restricted to the past only? If so, one would suspect that a considerable amount of people from the future would brush up on their history, travel back in time to their favorite era, make a fortune in business, and live comfortably as a master of their own universe, so to speak (one way to solve the scarcity problem in the future!). Who is to say this has not already happened in our universe?

]

Aliens are just future humans, from long after human civilizations inevitably disperse one-by-one into outer space to colonize other planets, systems, galaxies, biologically evolving (natural but moreso unnatural and creepy) over time into slightly and even dramatically different-looking but still-humanish creatures, hence the variety in their appearance, from just after the point at which these future humans each independently figures out their own trick of bypassing the limits and paradoxes and achieves time travel, hence the variety in technology...all coming back in space and time to occasionally revisit their shared ancestral womb, our time, this earth, like tourists and pilgrims and scientists. Every so often one of them from a branch that still looks like us will pull a Violator and stay behind to exploit their knowledge of the past. Some of those wild cards are wildly successful, some live in obscurity, some own castles, some are locked up in loony bins.

Who is a candidate for "secretly from the future" in our particular universe?

I would look at the most powerful people in the world, the smartest people in the world, and the weirdest people in the world.

"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 11:04:18 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Time travel? I will time travel back to 2009 and made sure KG and Leon Powe did not go on a season-ending injury. I will also make sure they crush the Lakers in 2009 to win #18. I will also time travel back to 2010 and made sure the Celtics won Game 7 and celebrate banner #19 at Staples Center in front of the depressing Lakers fans. I would also like to time travel back to 2012 and made sure LeBron did not go super-saiyan on the Celtics in Game 6. We'd have Banner #20 by then.  8)

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 11:09:19 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Future time travel is very possible and probably attainable n the present day if you had a massive amount of money and resources. Get a spacehip, go 75-99% the speed of light and wait. After a couple months/years  a decade goes by on earth.  Watch interstellar, it does a good job explaining this.

Backwards time travel is impossible.

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 11:24:38 PM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
Do you think time travel is possible? Given the grandfather paradox and butterfly effect, is it only possible to travel forward in time? Or is the multiverse theory possible, with time travel restricted to the past only? If so, one would suspect that a considerable amount of people from the future would brush up on their history, travel back in time to their favorite era, make a fortune in business, and live comfortably as a master of their own universe, so to speak (one way to solve the scarcity problem in the future!). Who is to say this has not already happened in our universe?

]

Aliens are just future humans, from long after human civilizations inevitably disperse one-by-one into outer space to colonize other planets, systems, galaxies, biologically evolving (natural but moreso unnatural and creepy) over time into slightly and even dramatically different-looking but still-humanish creatures, hence the variety in their appearance, from just after the point at which these future humans each independently figures out their own trick of bypassing the limits and paradoxes and achieves time travel, hence the variety in technology...all coming back in space and time to occasionally revisit their shared ancestral womb, our time, this earth, like tourists and pilgrims and scientists. Every so often one of them from a branch that still looks like us will pull a Violator and stay behind to exploit their knowledge of the past. Some of those wild cards are wildly successful, some live in obscurity, some own castles, some are locked up in loony bins.

Something to consider: The past prior to the digital age is less well documented (for example, fewer news outlets, fewer references to time stamped documents, etc.). More likely than not in the future, at least if one is optimistic, history will explicitly acknowledge that the history of the late 20th century onward is more precisely and extensively documented than history prior to the digital age. This has obvious ramifications if time travel proves to be possible in the future (for example, all else equal, a time traveler is more likely to choose to travel to the late 20th century than the late 19th century given the safety arising from having more knowledge about the chosen time in the late 20th century). Furthermore, given the proliferation of cameras in the early 21st century (and presumably onward), one may argue the absolute best time to travel into the past would be a certain time in the late 20th century.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 11:32:01 PM by meangreenmachine »

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 11:29:22 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, and to experimental evidence here on earth assembled by Harvard physicists Pound and Rebka, in the presence of a gravitational field, an external observer would see a clock in a strong gravitational field tick more slowly. This is analogous to the famous time dilation effect in special relativity, except that in the 'gravitational redshift' effect no motion between the observer outside the gravitational field and the clock located within the field, is required.

What this means is that if you were traveling into a strong gravitational field and sending out pulses of light every second, an observer watching these signals from a great distance would see the interval between the pulses increase from seconds to minutes and then hours as the field got stronger and stronger.

Black holes are fantastic sources of very strong gravitational fields. What a distant observer would see as your clock got closer to the so-called Event Horizon of the black hole is that the pulse interval would increase without limit from one second to one month and longer. The frequency of the light pulses would also get longer as the light lost more and more energy struggling to get out from the vicinity of the black hole. As your friend finally entered the black hole by passing across its event horizon, the last photon capable of making it to infinity is emitted at almost infinite redshift, meaning that if you originally emitted a gamma ray with an energy of 1000 billion electron volts, buy the time your friend received it far away, it would have lost enough energy to become a radio photon with an energy of 0.00001 electron volts! So, if it took your friend 1000 hours to travel from where you are to the black hole, the last photon he sent you just before entering the black hole, would arrive at your location 1000 hours from now, but when you looked at the interval between the last two pulses he sent, you would see that they are not the one second interval you started out with, but say 1 or 2 minutes or more.

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 11:31:06 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Lol, TP ;D.

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 11:34:44 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

So, you are making the case that there are multiple, parallel futures?  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva