Author Topic: Looking for advice on starting a new business  (Read 2600 times)

Looking for advice on starting a new business
« on: July 06, 2016, 07:11:22 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
I'm kicking around the idea of starting a business as a private personal trainer. For a quick rundown of my background, I played football in college and professionally, and have always been a workout junky.

Over the past several years, based on a ton of research I've done and even more trial and error, I feel like I've developed a very good grasp of both a workout regimen and a diet plan that will build muscle and burn fat for just about anyone that's willing to put in some work. I'm not a certified personal trainer, but I honestly feel like I know more than the vast majority of them (based on seeing what they do themselves and what they have their clients do at the gym).

I know there are a bunch of people on youtube who make these claims, post videos and sell training programs all the time. I'm open to doing that at some point, but would like to start by doing all of the training in person.

Any tips on how to get started? Anyone here already working in this industry and/or have any advice to pass along? I really appreciate you guys taking the time to read this and provide some input.

Re: Looking for advice on starting a new business
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 07:22:00 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I'm kicking around the idea of starting a business as a private personal trainer. For a quick rundown of my background, I played football in college and professionally, and have always been a workout junky.

Over the past several years, based on a ton of research I've done and even more trial and error, I feel like I've developed a very good grasp of both a workout regimen and a diet plan that will build muscle and burn fat for just about anyone that's willing to put in some work. I'm not a certified personal trainer, but I honestly feel like I know more than the vast majority of them (based on seeing what they do themselves and what they have their clients do at the gym).

I know there are a bunch of people on youtube who make these claims, post videos and sell training programs all the time. I'm open to doing that at some point, but would like to start by doing all of the training in person.

Any tips on how to get started? Anyone here already working in this industry and/or have any advice to pass along? I really appreciate you guys taking the time to read this and provide some input.

from what I heard, having a license will help more than not. A few of my friends has worked as PTs in local gyms and some went on to get a masters doing physical therapists. Also from experience, a lot of them that I follow have very heavy social media presence, so that would be a good place to start as well. I'd definitely go ask around from people who has done this before selling programs and see if that is something you want to do.

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 07:35:03 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Terrible idea, you need the license. 

Someone trains with you, "hurt their back" to get out of work, sues.  Instead of it going through your licensed insurance you become fully responsible for all of their costs.  Just get the license, I'm sure you will do a great job either way but to protect yourself get the license.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 07:52:37 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

You need to take classes and/or a test and get certified. I work at a gym part-time (free membership, baby!) and occasionally we will see people attempting to "train" downstairs in the free-weight areas who are not our company's trainers. They are quickly asked to leave and their memberships are revoked.

Given your background, a simple 3-month course will get you certified and hired somewhere. This is something plenty of people want to do, and you will not get hired unless you have some sort of legitimate scientific knowledge about nutrition, kinesthetics, etc.

Advice: While you're getting trained, try to find a gym where you can work at the front desk. You're much more likely to be hired as a trainer/floor trainer if you already know the management.

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 08:52:26 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
Thank you all for the advice! Very helpful info from all of you.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 09:23:08 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
Credibility as a former athlete, a charismatic personality (if you have one of those), and belief in yourself and your system are great starting points.  But.... you are asking people to part with money (a good amount of it) and to trust you (BEFORE they see results).  You wouldn't get medical care, get your taxes prepared, have your roof fixed, get legal advice, or even get your car fixed by a non-certified person without references, a substantial track record and professional liability insurance.  If you did, you'd be taking a serious risk.  Some people will.  But most won't.

No doubt you can make it.  Ulitmately, I'll bet your practical and experiential knowledge will take you far once you get rolling.

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 11:41:43 PM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
Given the nature of the business, most folks would recommend setting up a LLC and requiring every customer to sign a waiver with the LLC prior to doing business with them. Like somebody else pointed out, you will not be able to train folks in some places such as many gyms. This post is not legal advice, so obviously recommend consulting with an attorney after doing as much of the legwork as possible  8)

Hope you succeed, bud!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 11:48:39 PM by meangreenmachine »

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 12:05:55 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Get certified. Cut your teeth at a smaller gym. Build from there.

By starting elsewhere, you can build up a client base. Starting on your own without credentials is a recipe for an empty gym. You build a name, you can bring clients with you. You start now, you have to sell people on a company started without any recognizable bonafides.

Then, once you're there, create relationships. Team with local businesses. Get in touch with your local gyms that don't offer the same services. Find a local equivalent to Lululemon and offer its customers a promotional deal. Find a way to cater to female clients, who will drive the rest of your customer base (as stupid as it sounds). Groupon is no longer a viable option, but there are tons of startups that could provide similar opportunities with better benefits.

Most of all, take your time. Do it right. Starting from 0 will leave you with nothing but debt. Get that certification. Work with clients. Build a name.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 12:22:13 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
As Neurotic Guy mentioned and for those some reasons he mentioned, get the certification.  Even if you don't learn a single thing through it (doubtful), it will build an absolutely necessary credibility.  My girlfriend was interested in becoming a trainer on the side (she was a kickboxing instructor years ago), but had no luck landing any gigs until she got NASM certified.  Once you get certified, take any jobs you can to get your feet in some doors.  My gf did that and now with just 1.5 years experience, she has all sorts of opportunities open to her, including leading large group workouts of over 100 people, which continues to further build her credibility, etc.  And this is just a side gig of hers.  Also as mani mentioned, building a strong social media presence seems to be huge these days for that industry.

I'd start with those initial steps before full on launching your own business, but never ever give up that goal of working towards your own business, especially in something that you're passionate about.  It's a very liberating feeling to have control of your own life in the way that having your own business allows you to do.  But you want to make sure that when you do go for it, you're set up with the background and preparation to maximize your likelihood to succeed, so I wouldn't rush it without proper certification and experience.

Curious, how old are you and what are you doing now for employment?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 02:04:58 AM »

Offline kiwiceltic

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16
I don't trust, or would pay for any personal trainer without a degree with a major in exercise science or similar.

There are too many people out there that claim to have all the knowledge/experience under the sun and charge stupid amounts of money to match, but can't back it up with formal qualifications.

A 2 week online PT course doesn't make you a PT.

My advice, is get some qualifications to back up what you know, then people will take your business seriously.

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 10:27:06 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
Thanks for the info, advice and support fellas! I really appreciate it.

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 10:38:33 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Think everyone summed it up well. Get certified start at a gym and work your way from there. Good luck man.