Author Topic: Sullinger on the Trade Block  (Read 14248 times)

Re: Sullinger on the Trade Block
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2016, 04:38:45 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
What can you really get for a RFA in a S+T?  Seems like teams are rarely interested in giving up anything of significance in that situation.

Depending on what Sully is getting paid by his new team, I think a large trade exception would be sufficient for Ainge.  If he gets the $18 million that some posters think he could, that's enough to fit Jimmy Butler in as a trade deadline acquisition, which means we wouldn't have to try to match salaries.  It'd also be more than enough for targets like Hayward and Cousins.

By rule he'd have to get something in addition to the trade exception, but a rather protected second-round pick might be okay.

« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2016, 04:48:16 PM »

Offline ashanm10

• NGT
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 11
  • Ahsan from Greece :D Panathinaikos and Celtics Fan
its such a shame this guy being like this...sigh..had high hopes for him from the day we drafted him...
🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

Banner 18...and BEYOND!!!

« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2016, 05:11:09 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Wait... how do you trade an restricted free agent?   That's possible??
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 05:22:09 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2016, 05:12:53 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Wait... how do you trade an unrestricted free agent?   That's possible??
He a RFA, first contract.

« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2016, 05:13:12 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Well. He IS restricted. And  you can S&T UFAs as well. But this piece of "information" doesn't make any sense regardless. It's  also from @StatisticsNBA, so it might well be from the proverbial deli guy.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2016, 05:13:24 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
The end of the Sully era. This is bigger news than KDs decision.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2016, 05:21:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Well. He IS restricted. And  you can S&T UFAs as well. But this piece of "information" doesn't make any sense regardless. It's  also from @StatisticsNBA, so it might well be from the proverbial deli guy.
I meant that... how do you trade a restricted free agent?   That's not possible, is it?

I thought he either takes our qualifying offer (which he's not going to do), or signs with another team and we either match or let him walk.   Could we sign him to a larger deal and immediately trade him? 

« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2016, 05:24:53 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I meant that... how do you trade a restricted free agent?   That's not possible, is it?

I thought he either takes our qualifying offer (which he's not going to do), or signs with another team and we either match or let him walk.   Could we sign him to a larger deal and immediately trade him?
You could theoretically sign and trade I guess -- this way the receiving team gives up some consideration but doesn't have to pay an arm and a leg in salary so that we don't match. I am skeptical about the likelihood of this scenario; I don't think we'll match any sort of multi-year deal he will get offered.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2016, 05:29:10 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I think he winds up washing dishes at Pizza Hutt

I HOPE he does. Biggest disgrace to the uniform since Mark Blount.

« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2016, 05:30:27 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I wonder if he'll be tweeting fat pictures of himself like last year. Dude has some serious denial going on.

« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2016, 05:47:00 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
What can you really get for a RFA in a S+T?  Seems like teams are rarely interested in giving up anything of significance in that situation.

Depending on what Sully is getting paid by his new team, I think a large trade exception would be sufficient for Ainge.  If he gets the $18 million that some posters think he could, that's enough to fit Jimmy Butler in as a trade deadline acquisition, which means we wouldn't have to try to match salaries.  It'd also be more than enough for targets like Hayward and Cousins.

By rule he'd have to get something in addition to the trade exception, but a rather protected second-round pick might be okay.

Edit: Sleep Deprivation made me forget that we would only get a trade exception of half his salary due to base-year compensation, I think.  So presumably Danny would like a second-round pick, or a player with similar warts on an expiring contract.  New Orleans might be in the market for a frontcourt mate for Davis, and is lacking cap space.  Sullinger for Tyreke?

« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2016, 12:59:12 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
I stand corrected.  The market is worse for Sully than I thought.  I didn't think it was possible for him to submarine his value this far, given his productivity.