Author Topic: Sullinger on the Trade Block  (Read 14293 times)

Re: Sullinger on the Trade Block
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2016, 02:38:11 PM »

Offline TheSlipperyWhistle

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
per NBAStats

NBA Stats
‏@StatisticsNBA
Report: Celtics put Jared Sullinger in the trading block. Expect a trade to happen.

Unless you have cap issues , a team could just make him an offer and have him for free

That's not how restricted free agency works.
Surely any interested team would just call Danny's bluff and offer Sully ~$18.  For all intents and purposes, that is how this works.

Who wants to give Sully that?  The only restricted free agent who's changed teams so far has been Barnes, I believe, and that's only after the Warriors officially gave up on keeping him.

Mike
1. Why wouldn't a team offer that?  Austin Rivers got $12.
2. What do other RFA's have to do with Sully?

Austin Rivers got twelve dollars to sign? His daddy needs to raise his allowance.

« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2016, 02:41:48 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Is a market contract 16-18 million dollars for Sullinger? I'm skeptical as RFA drives down value (a lot) and he is and undersized C as well.

We will see.
How does RFA drive value down? If anything it drives it up because you want to overpay so that the original team doesn't match.
Overall the salaries that RFA receive is far lower than FAs. The offers that are made are overpays. Usually they settle for far less than FA would give them because other teams are scared away from offer sheets and their original team puts the screws to the player during negotiations.

Hence the some of players signing the QO for a one year deal.

« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2016, 02:51:27 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
The most likely possibility would seem to be someone with an RFA they don't really want to resign trading him for Sully.

Mike

« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2016, 02:55:30 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Well, in the end I don't understand this thread. And if accurate the he's in the "trading block", whatever that means for a RFA, don't think it's news. In all, nothing has changed as far as I'm concerned.

« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2016, 03:01:02 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
They could call Danny's bluff but how has that worked in the past? Dude just drafted 6/8 picks available! 4 the season before! 10 players in 2 seasons with an already full team!! It's not like we have to pay another max at the moment.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2016, 03:30:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
There is also the possibility that Sully is involved in a larger trade to someone near or over the salary cap. Perhaps he needs to be a piece that is going to Chicago in a Butler deal? Don't know how close Chicago is to the cap and that is just an example, but something like that.

Because of the base-year rule, it would unlikely be a trade like that, since his salary would count fully for the team receiving him, but only half for us as outgoing salary, making matching salaries difficult.
But if we aren't over the cap, we don't necessarily have to match the salary, at least that's what I thought

« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2016, 03:35:35 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
There is also the possibility that Sully is involved in a larger trade to someone near or over the salary cap. Perhaps he needs to be a piece that is going to Chicago in a Butler deal? Don't know how close Chicago is to the cap and that is just an example, but something like that.

Because of the base-year rule, it would unlikely be a trade like that, since his salary would count fully for the team receiving him, but only half for us as outgoing salary, making matching salaries difficult.
But if we aren't over the cap, we don't necessarily have to match the salary, at least that's what I thought

We have $10 million in cap space.  Getting someone like Butler would put us over the cap, which means we'd need to match instead.  For anyone $10 million and under, it's not a problem.

« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2016, 03:48:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

We have $10 million in cap space.  Getting someone like Butler would put us over the cap, which means we'd need to match instead.  For anyone $10 million and under, it's not a problem.
TP for clearing that up salty. I thought we were farther under the cap than that. TP

« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2016, 03:51:03 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Could we theoretically package Sully plus a newly guaranteed Amir and both Brooklyn 1sts for Boogie?

Theoretically?  I guess.  Much is possible in theory.  But Sullinger could be paid no more than just under $10 million in year one, which is probably less than he's interested in accepting.  So probably not.

Ah. Amir is too much. How about Jonas?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2016, 03:56:18 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
Ok what about this idea with Chicago:

S/T Sully, Rozier, Amir, Brooklyn 2018, Boston 2018, Boston 2019

for

Butler, Gibson, Dunlevy

OR the same deal where the celtics sub in Jerbeko for Amir and the Bulls remove Dunlevy

Sully (S/T), Rozier, Jerbeko, BKN 2018, BOS 2018, BOS 2019

for

Butler and Taj Gibson

It depends on what the Bulls would be wanting to pay Sully and/or what Sully's agent thinks he's worth. The deal with Amir gets Sully a contract at about $14-Mil annually, and the Jerbeko deal gets him a little over $17 Mil.

The Bulls give up Butler, and Gibson who they likely don't want to pay anyway, but they get a boatload of rebuilding blocks.

« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2016, 03:58:32 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
Ok what about this idea with Chicago:

S/T Sully, Rozier, Amir, Brooklyn 2018, Boston 2018, Boston 2019

for

Butler, Gibson, Dunlevy

OR the same deal where the celtics sub in Jerbeko for Amir and the Bulls remove Dunlevy

Sully (S/T), Rozier, Jerbeko, BKN 2018, BOS 2018, BOS 2019

for

Butler and Taj Gibson

It depends on what the Bulls would be wanting to pay Sully and/or what Sully's agent thinks he's worth. The deal with Amir gets Sully a contract at about $14-Mil annually, and the Jerbeko deal gets him a little over $17 Mil.

The Bulls give up Butler, and Gibson who they likely don't want to pay anyway, but they get a boatload of rebuilding blocks.

I think I'd be willing to sub in Bradley for Rozier, but then take out the BOSTON 2018/19 picks.

OR

sub the BKN 2017 for 2018

« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2016, 04:20:50 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
What can you really get for a RFA in a S+T?  Seems like teams are rarely interested in giving up anything of significance in that situation.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2016, 04:25:02 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
What can you really get for a RFA in a S+T?  Seems like teams are rarely interested in giving up anything of significance in that situation.

Another RFA.

Mike

« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2016, 04:26:16 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I think the team trading away the RFA can get a player on a small contract and a TPE.

I would love to try to get Taj Gibson from CHI (assuming the Bulls are interested).
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2016, 04:31:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I think he winds up washing dishes at Pizza Hutt