Author Topic: Sullinger on the Trade Block  (Read 14297 times)

Re: Sullinger on the Trade Block
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2016, 01:59:48 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Maybe he just lost weight and is in shape now.
i think you may have forgotten to add the little winking-emoticon to your post.  ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2016, 02:00:25 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
There is also the possibility that Sully is involved in a larger trade to someone near or over the salary cap. Perhaps he needs to be a piece that is going to Chicago in a Butler deal? Don't know how close Chicago is to the cap and that is just an example, but something like that.

Because of the base-year rule, it would unlikely be a trade like that, since his salary would count fully for the team receiving him, but only half for us as outgoing salary, making matching salaries difficult.

Ah, right. So a team that has at least some cap space and has a small(ish) contract to unload might be a trade partner.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2016, 02:01:30 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
per NBAStats

NBA Stats
‏@StatisticsNBA
Report: Celtics put Jared Sullinger in the trading block. Expect a trade to happen.

Unless you have cap issues , a team could just make him an offer and have him for free

That's not how restricted free agency works.
Surely any interested team would just call Danny's bluff and offer Sully ~$18.  For all intents and purposes, that is how this works.

Or you could pay him $3-4 million less a year and send a second round pick.  I know which I'd choose.
What is Sully's incentive to do that?  His agent says, "no, just make an offer sheet."  Then he tells Danny to pi$$ off re: sign and trade.

Danny has no leverage here.  What's his recourse?  Match a huge offer sheet?

The incentive Sully has is because otherwise the team will just pass.  Most teams aren't in the habit of intentionally overpaying.  Some do because they screw up their evaluations, but they don't do it on purpose.
But Sully's performance on the court, cr@p playoff series notwithstanding, easily merits a $16-18 contract in this market.  It's not an overpay.

Teams have three choices, really:

1) Overpay for him so Ainge won't match
2) Sign him to a market deal, in which case Ainge will match because he's got the money to do so and doesn't like letting things go for free
3) Send something to Boston and sign him in a market deal as a sign-and-trade

We don't have to debate exactly what Sullinger is worth.  That's secondary.  What matters is that Ainge has the ability to match any reasonable contract.  So if you want Sullinger and want him on a reasonable contract, you make a trade.  Otherwise you can sign him to an unreasonable contract or not get him.

« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2016, 02:06:48 PM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
I don't think NBA Stats is a particularly useful source. Seems they're just surmising a possible trade from Sully's tweet.

Much more likely he just gets an offer sheet and goes his merry way.

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2016, 02:11:24 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
2) Sign him to a market deal, in which case Ainge will match because he's got the money to do so and doesn't like letting things go for free
I think there's zero chance we'll match any sort of multi-year deal for Sullinger. Cap space in 2017 is real.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2016, 02:15:55 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I think there's zero chance we'll match any sort of multi-year deal for Sullinger. Cap space in 2017 is real.

Well, he's going to be signed-and-traded, so I agree.  But otherwise, if he's truly signed to a market deal, then he would be tradable next summer, and the cap space would be recouped.

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2016, 02:16:15 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
per NBAStats

NBA Stats
‏@StatisticsNBA
Report: Celtics put Jared Sullinger in the trading block. Expect a trade to happen.

Unless you have cap issues , a team could just make him an offer and have him for free

Surely any interested team would just call Danny's bluff and offer Sully ~$18.  For all intents and purposes, that is how this works.

Or you could pay him $3-4 million less a year and send a second round pick.  I know which I'd choose.
What is Sully's incentive to do that?  His agent says, "no, just make an offer sheet."  Then he tells Danny to pi$$ off re: sign and trade.

The incentive Sully has is because otherwise the team will just pass.  Most teams aren't in the habit of intentionally overpaying.  Some do because they screw up their evaluations, but they don't do it on purpose.
But Sully's performance on the court, cr@p playoff series notwithstanding, easily merits a $16-18 contract in this market.  It's not an overpay.

We don't have to debate exactly what Sullinger is worth.  That's secondary.  What matters is that Ainge has the ability to match any reasonable contract.  So if you want Sullinger and want him on a reasonable contract, you make a trade.  Otherwise you can sign him to an unreasonable contract or not get him.
Wrong.  A market deal is in the 16-18M range, which Ainge will not match.

That's what I've been saying the whole time.

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2016, 02:22:15 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
per NBAStats

NBA Stats
‏@StatisticsNBA

Wrong.  A market deal is in the 16-18M range, which Ainge will not match.

That's what I've been saying the whole time.

I think we might have the answer to this by the time the day is out.  I'll give you a TP if you're right, if you give me one if I'm right.

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2016, 02:22:36 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Is a market contract 16-18 million dollars for Sullinger? I'm skeptical as RFA drives down value (a lot) and he is and undersized C as well.

We will see.

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2016, 02:23:11 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I think we might have the answer to this by the time the day is out.  I'll give you a TP if you're right, if you give me one if I'm right.
I will give you both 50 tps for not flaming about a simple disagreement!

« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2016, 02:23:49 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Is a market contract 16-18 million dollars for Sullinger? I'm skeptical as RFA drives down value (a lot) and he is and undersized C as well.

We will see.
How does RFA drive value down? If anything it drives it up because you want to overpay so that the original team doesn't match.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2016, 02:26:37 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I will give you both 50 tps for not flaming about a simple disagreement!

Thanks!  If I had the power to give you 50 back, I would, but here's one!

« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2016, 02:29:55 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
per NBAStats

NBA Stats
‏@StatisticsNBA

Agreed. I would also concur with the higher market price, but teams aren't asleep on Sullinger's warts. I don't see how he commands $16 to $18 million with his lack of weight discipline, back injuries and playoff disappearance.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2016, 02:32:38 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Could we theoretically package Sully plus a newly guaranteed Amir and both Brooklyn 1sts for Boogie?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2016, 02:37:35 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Could we theoretically package Sully plus a newly guaranteed Amir and both Brooklyn 1sts for Boogie?

Theoretically?  I guess.  Much is possible in theory.  But Sullinger could be paid no more than just under $10 million in year one, which is probably less than he's interested in accepting.  So probably not.