Author Topic: Sullinger on the Trade Block  (Read 14285 times)

Re: Sullinger on the Trade Block
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 01:13:50 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
per NBAStats

NBA Stats
‏@StatisticsNBA
Report: Celtics put Jared Sullinger in the trading block. Expect a trade to happen.

Unless you have cap issues , a team could just make him an offer and have him for free

That's not how restricted free agency works.
Surely any interested team would just call Danny's bluff and offer Sully ~$18.  For all intents and purposes, that is how this works.

Who wants to give Sully that?  The only restricted free agent who's changed teams so far has been Barnes, I believe, and that's only after the Warriors officially gave up on keeping him.

Mike

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2016, 01:17:58 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
per NBAStats

NBA Stats
‏@StatisticsNBA
Report: Celtics put Jared Sullinger in the trading block. Expect a trade to happen.

Unless you have cap issues , a team could just make him an offer and have him for free

Surely any interested team would just call Danny's bluff and offer Sully ~$18.  For all intents and purposes, that is how this works.

Or you could pay him $3-4 million less a year and send a second round pick.  I know which I'd choose.

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2016, 01:18:03 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
per NBAStats

NBA Stats
‏@StatisticsNBA

Who wants to give Sully that?  The only restricted free agent who's changed teams so far has been Barnes, I believe, and that's only after the Warriors officially gave up on keeping him.

Mike
1. Why wouldn't a team offer that?  Austin Rivers got $12.
2. What do other RFA's have to do with Sully?

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 01:20:22 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
So, which teams out there might have cap room and use for Sullinger?
If it's a sign and trade, wouldn't we be trading him to a team without cap space? How about to the Clippers for Pierce. The truth could come here to mentor Brown, or just retire a Celtic.

I think that would have to mean Sully would agree to a new deal worth less than the MLE to play with LAC. Pierce's salary isn't very much, and LAC just spent a bunch to resign Crawford, Rivers, and Wes Johnson.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2016, 01:20:59 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
So, which teams out there might have cap room and use for Sullinger?
If it's a sign and trade, wouldn't we be trading him to a team without cap space? How about to the Clippers for Pierce. The truth could come here to mentor Brown, or just retire a Celtic.

This idea chubbed me up a little bit, which is embarrassing because I'm at work.  But in order for it to happen, the salaries would have to match.  What's Pierce at this year, and would Sully sign for that (my instincts tell me no freaking way)?

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2016, 01:21:05 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
per NBAStats

NBA Stats
‏@StatisticsNBA

Or you could pay him $3-4 million less a year and send a second round pick.  I know which I'd choose.
What is Sully's incentive to do that?  His agent says, "no, just make an offer sheet."  Then he tells Danny to pi$$ off re: sign and trade.

Danny has no leverage here.  What's his recourse?  Match a huge offer sheet?

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2016, 01:22:00 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
per NBAStats

NBA Stats
‏@StatisticsNBA

Mike
1. Why wouldn't a team offer that?  Austin Rivers got $12.
2. What do other RFA's have to do with Sully?

1.  Austin Rivers performed relatively well as a backup on the Clippers.  Sully ended the season looking like a complete disaster for Boston and has a history of weight issues.

2.  Even with all the cap space teams have, there has been virtually no market for RFAs.  Obviously, teams are still reluctant to put offers on the table when they know the other team can match it.

Mike

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2016, 01:22:03 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
How about a sign and trade for Zach Randolph?  He is on the last year of his contract, and the Grizzlies won't be major players in free agency next year.  It gives them a younger player to play the role of Randolph, and we get a vet on the last year of his contract, and keep the cap space open for next year. If we're lucky maybe pick up a draft pick too.

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2016, 01:23:13 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
Why wouldn't a team just offer slightly above his qualifying offer and sign him outright instead of trading an asset to attain him?
I don't understand the logic of him being available for trade at all..

An offer sheet needs to have 3 years minimum. Only we can offer him a shorter term contract. I think Danny would match up to $10m and then look to flip him in a trade.

A sign and trade is an indication that a team wants him and it would put them over the cap. So likely a semi contender that Sully is interested in. Haven't checked who that could be yet

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2016, 01:23:37 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
per NBAStats

NBA Stats
‏@StatisticsNBA

Sure but teams don't want to overpay and the C's are surely posturing they will match a market value deal and then just trade him mid-season.

Its a game of chicken, one that ties up your cap space for 3 full days potentially. I can easily see a team make a small deal to avoid that possibility.

Likely they just call the bluff, but plenty of RFA don't get ANY offers due to fears of teams matching. See Glenn Davis's RFA, or Pekovic's RFA.

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2016, 01:24:50 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
per NBAStats

NBA Stats
‏@StatisticsNBA

What is Sully's incentive to do that?  His agent says, "no, just make an offer sheet."  Then he tells Danny to pi$$ off re: sign and trade.

Who is going to give Sully a huge offer sheet?  Sure, if someone wants to pay Sully $17 mil a year for four years, Ainge won't match that.  But what if people only want to pay Sully $8 a year?  Ainge could easily match that, the other team doesn't get Sully and Sully has the choice of either signing that deal or playing out the year on the QO.

Mike

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2016, 01:27:46 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
per NBAStats

NBA Stats
‏@StatisticsNBA

Mike

Dellavadova also...

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2016, 01:28:20 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
per NBAStats

NBA Stats
‏@StatisticsNBA

Sure but teams don't want to overpay and the C's are surely posturing they will match a market value deal and then just trade him mid-season.

Its a game of chicken, one that ties up your cap space for 3 full days potentially. I can easily see a team make a small deal to avoid that possibility.

Likely they just call the bluff, but plenty of RFA don't get ANY offers due to fears of teams matching. See Glenn Davis's RFA, or Pekovic's RFA.
Well, we should know soon.  I think there are enough teams with limited downside in this drying market that Sully will just get paid.  If Danny can squeeze a 2nd round pick out of it, bravo.  If I were a GM that liked Sully, I'd write an offer in a second.

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2016, 01:28:37 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
per NBAStats

NBA Stats
‏@StatisticsNBA

The incentive Sully has is because otherwise the team will just pass.  Most teams aren't in the habit of intentionally overpaying.  Some do because they screw up their evaluations, but they don't do it on purpose.

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2016, 01:30:15 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
As to why Sullinger's agent would be amenable to this sort of thing... Say there are only a couple of teams with cap space chasing him, and the most they'd be willing to pay would be $10m per. But there's another team out there who's willing to pay $15m but doesn't have cap space. As his agent you could help engineer a trade whereby you get your client an extra $5m thanks to the fact that the Celtics have space right now.

Right?
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com