Author Topic: An Okafor Trade in the Age of Horford  (Read 4065 times)

An Okafor Trade in the Age of Horford
« on: July 06, 2016, 10:29:08 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I've been firmly in the Nerlens Noel camp all summer and I still think he'd be a terrific addition to the Celtics, but isn't Al Horford exactly who you want mentoring Okafor? Horford is a pro's pro who's a great passer, great defender, and is a guy who worked to expand his jumper from the time he entered the league.

Okafor doesn't have a jumper yet but he's not terrible at the line (68% last season) and he's got good hands, which makes me think he could at least get reliable out to KG range (18-20 feet) if he works on it. The other thing I'd really want out of Okafor would be to become a reliable passer out of the post a la Marc Gasol or Al Horford!

I don't think you'd play them together much (that would be a lot of scrambling on the perimeter for Horford) but the offense could definitely work with them both on the court.

How do you feel about bringing in Okafor now that Horford is here?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 11:48:36 AM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: And Okafor Trade in the Age of Horford
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 10:35:42 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
I've been firmly in the Nerlens Noel camp all summer and I still think he'd be a terrific addition to the Celtics, but isn't Al Horford exactly who you want mentoring Okafor? Horford is a pro's pro who's a great passer, great defender, and is a guy who worked to expand his jumper from the time he entered the league.

Okafor doesn't have a jumper yet but he's not terrible at the line (68% last season) and he's got good hands, which makes me think he could at least get reliable out to KG range (18-20 feet) if he works on it. The other thing I'd really want out of Okafor would be to become a reliable passer out of the post a la Marc Gasol or Al Horford!

Thank you for this post. I was going to write something very similar. Pre Draft I was on board for getting Dunn and trading it for Noel. Now that we have Horford on board, I am willing to give up Marcus Smart and the celtics 2018 pick (not the Nets pick) for Okafor. I think he'd work well with Horford and Horford could mentor Okafor. The locker room situation will also be a stable one with Al H in there.
I say go all in. Get it done and not loose to many of our assets for someone like Westbrook who may/may not sign long term.
I don't think you'd play them together much (that would be a lot of scrambling on the perimeter for Horford) but the offense could definitely work with them both on the court.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 10:46:53 AM by heyvik »

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 10:40:24 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Unlike a few on here, the addition of horford aND the formation of the warriors has pushed me further into the Okafor camp. Horford would be a good mentor, and could teach him valuable skills. Horford is also a good shooter and defender, the type that you would need next to the big oak. Also the warriors make it so we should probably focus on developing youth while staying competitive.

I just hope okafor gets healthy again for us.
#JKJB

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 10:47:42 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

You make excellent points.

I would be fine with an Okafor trade. Philly needs guards, and I'd be happy to build a deal around Smart or Rozier, plus picks that aren't Brooklyn 17 - which will probably turn out to be another Ainge project anyway.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 10:56:10 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I'd like to see a line up of IT/Bradley/Crowder/Horford/Okafor next year. I could get on board with that. My first target would be Cousins however.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 10:59:29 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
I'd like to see a line up of IT/Bradley/Crowder/Horford/Okafor next year. I could get on board with that. My first target would be Cousins however.

I'd love that too...I think you'd sit Oak down 1st and let AlHo play the Big in small ball line up and then add 4 shooters.

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 11:25:31 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas

Agreed on all counts.

I just have a hard time seeing those nuts in Sacto actually turning loose of Cousins.

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 11:45:07 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
During the leadup to the draft when many speculated Jahlil may be coming to Boston in exchange for  the #3 pick, I decided to watch as much tape on him as I could find.

I concluded that his athleticism, explosiveness, and size/length were tremendously underrated on this blog. Jahlil does not have the lateral quickness to ever be a plus defender on the perimeter, but I fail to see why he cant defend the center position at a high level. His quickness far surpasses Sullinger and Olynyk's who at least statistically evolved into OK defenders at the next level and his length should allow him to be a far superior shot blocker to both. On offense, his shoot looks nice, but I do worry about hand size holding him back. One other factor I think is underrated about him is his ability to finish through traffic. Its something Isaiah Thomas and Turner were terrific at and Something Rozier Smart Bradley and based on his scouting reports Jaylen Brown all struggle at.

Jahlil is a huge talent. I hope we can get him.

All that said, I dont feel like we are in a position where we have to do anything. We have a great team and will likely be one of the top options for FAs next year in a class with Westbrook Griffin and Hayward.  I dont see any reason why we couldnt make the ECF and win 55 games then go into the offseason with a top 5 pick and 40 mil in cap space and only face the loss of Olynyk. Philly is in no type of panic mode either, but I think they are in a position of somewhat more urgency to clear up the big man pileup before it really starts to hinder development.

In conclusion, Im glad to see we still have interest and I think Brad could make Horforf-Okafor work and Horford has expressed intrerest in playing with a true center so it shouldnt be an issue. However, no need to let Philly hold us over the coals here. Dont give up Brooklyn '17 for the big fella.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 11:47:06 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56

They both have to be 30-35mpg players, so if you doubt that they can be on the court together much, don't do the deal.

Re: An Okafor Trade in the Age of Horford
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 11:50:27 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
We signed Horford to a 4 year MAX deal so that he could baby-sit Okafor?

No.

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 11:52:25 AM »

Offline yagru

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
Id been hoping the Cs got Okafor since his draft night. Hes got so much offensive talent and hes still so young.

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 11:55:28 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Agreed on all counts.

I just have a hard time seeing those nuts in Sacto actually turning loose of Cousins.
If it were possible, though, that could be awesome. Having Horford and Cousins together in the frontcourt would make for a nightmare for other teams. There are no teams in the league that could match up with that much size and shooting.

I even think a team like that could give the Warriors a lot of problems.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 12:27:32 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
Id been hoping the Cs got Okafor since his draft night. Hes got so much offensive talent and hes still so young.

Ainge made another mistake not moving the 3 for Okafor, considering he drafted another non-shooting project with it.

Time to rectify it by packaging some value to Philly and getting this done.

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 03:29:05 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
During the leadup to the draft when many speculated Jahlil may be coming to Boston in exchange for  the #3 pick, I decided to watch as much tape on him as I could find.

I concluded that his athleticism, explosiveness, and size/length were tremendously underrated on this blog. Jahlil does not have the lateral quickness to ever be a plus defender on the perimeter, but I fail to see why he cant defend the center position at a high level. His quickness far surpasses Sullinger and Olynyk's who at least statistically evolved into OK defenders at the next level and his length should allow him to be a far superior shot blocker to both. On offense, his shoot looks nice, but I do worry about hand size holding him back. One other factor I think is underrated about him is his ability to finish through traffic. Its something Isaiah Thomas and Turner were terrific at and Something Rozier Smart Bradley and based on his scouting reports Jaylen Brown all struggle at.

Jahlil is a huge talent. I hope we can get him.

All that said, I dont feel like we are in a position where we have to do anything. We have a great team and will likely be one of the top options for FAs next year in a class with Westbrook Griffin and Hayward.  I dont see any reason why we couldnt make the ECF and win 55 games then go into the offseason with a top 5 pick and 40 mil in cap space and only face the loss of Olynyk. Philly is in no type of panic mode either, but I think they are in a position of somewhat more urgency to clear up the big man pileup before it really starts to hinder development.

In conclusion, Im glad to see we still have interest and I think Brad could make Horforf-Okafor work and Horford has expressed intrerest in playing with a true center so it shouldnt be an issue. However, no need to let Philly hold us over the coals here. Dont give up Brooklyn '17 for the big fella.
TP.
Okafor is very undervalued in general, and especially as a defender. He won't be out guarding perimeter players, unless he gets really cut up, but he can ectually defend the center position and may end up being a very good defender/interior defender and a shotblocker. He did average over 2 blocks a game for the first 1/3 of the season, but being so big and a rookie IMO he lost his wind and IMO he has the ability to get in much better shape.

His jumper is fine when you watch him shoot. He has a great stroke and is a NATURAL scorer, but he hesitates on his jumper.
Also, many people do not talk about this but HIS LEFT HAND will get better over time. I watched all of his field goals from last year and I don't remember seeing him use his left hand once, which is unbelievable because he did so well in the post. When he can make a left handed hook....watch out.

IMO Hortford/Okafor would be great together, on and off-the court.

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 03:37:14 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

Agreed on all counts.

If it were possible, though, that could be awesome. Having Horford and Cousins together in the frontcourt would make for a nightmare for other teams. There are no teams in the league that could match up with that much size and shooting.

I even think a team like that could give the Warriors a lot of problems.
IMO the better deal and better value is with Okafor. Okafor has been labeled as a 19 year old rookie that has no ability to improve his body or game. Actually, Okafor reminds me a lot of Cousins in some ways, great handles for big men, and could come out for us this season and show us a much improved jumper(15' and in should be huge improvement) and his defense should be a vast improvement. He can at minimum defend the CENTER position very well, and may be a force in the paint as a interior defender this season.

He's a very smart player and NATURAL instincts. He can also pass pretty well and IMO would rip it up w/ Hortford.