Author Topic: What are they smoking? ESPN suggested trades for Westbrook  (Read 7546 times)

Re: What are they smoking? ESPN suggested trades for Westbrook
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2016, 12:03:11 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Westbrook can defend - if the coach demands it.
I mean so could Rondo and so could Harden.

Demanding defense as a coach doesn't mean it happens.

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2016, 12:04:10 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
@zachlowe_nba
@celticsblog @HPbasketball Cs are in a place where they are/should be confident re retaining guy they get into their system for a year

Lowe thinks we should go after him
I just think giving up 4 big assets like I assume OKC would demand for a potential rental is too big a risk.

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2016, 12:22:08 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
@zachlowe_nba
@celticsblog @HPbasketball Cs are in a place where they are/should be confident re retaining guy they get into their system for a year

Lowe thinks we should go after him
I just think giving up 4 big assets like I assume OKC would demand for a potential rental is too big a risk.
Im sure if he did go on the block others would give up way MORE than us anyway
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2016, 07:06:26 PM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
If I am LA, I offer anyone except Ingram. If I am OKC, I find a way to get as much as possible from the Lakers. Russell and a future first for Westbrook is possibly as good as it gets for OKC considering Westbrook is leaving for LA in a year anyway. Perhaps the Lakers try to pull off Randle and Russell for Westbrook.

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2016, 07:12:54 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Eh, seems better than the Butler deal that's being discussed in another thread (Crowder, AB, #3, #16). I know it's only for one year, but at least Westbrook is an actual superstar.

Still probably too much without some assurance we could retain Westy, but he would be an exciting consolation prize.

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2016, 07:20:43 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Fascinating how people have forgotten how much more effective IT was off the basketball.

I think it's the defensive issues we'd have with a Westbrook/IT backcourt. Need guys who can stay home on their assignment while Westbrook is flying around for steals and erasers who can resolve the issues he creates on that end. Since we don't have that on the back end. Keeping Smart, Crowder and Bradley would be pretty important--or just have a good way to replace them.

I think the bigger issue is the fact that there is very little reason to believe Westbrook would re-sign a long-term deal here. 

He's a Los Angeles kid.  He grew up in Long Beach.  He went to UCLA.  He has a mansion that he just bought last year in Beverly Hills.  He will finally have the freedom to decide where he plays next year.   Why on earth should we think he won't use that freedom to set himself up on one of the LA teams?

Step away and don't touch.
Giving up any significant assets for a one-year rental of Westbrook seems like a ludicrous gamble.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2016, 07:23:41 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Fascinating how people have forgotten how much more effective IT was off the basketball.

I think it's the defensive issues we'd have with a Westbrook/IT backcourt. Need guys who can stay home on their assignment while Westbrook is flying around for steals and erasers who can resolve the issues he creates on that end. Since we don't have that on the back end. Keeping Smart, Crowder and Bradley would be pretty important--or just have a good way to replace them.

I think the bigger issue is the fact that there is very little reason to believe Westbrook would re-sign a long-term deal here. 

He's a Los Angeles kid.  He grew up in Long Beach.  He went to UCLA.  He has a mansion that he just bought last year in Beverly Hills.  He will finally have the freedom to decide where he plays next year.   Why on earth should we think he won't use that freedom to set himself up on one of the LA teams?

Giving up any significant assets for a one-year rental of Westbrook seems like a ludicrous gamble.

/Thread

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2016, 07:36:26 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Do you think Westbrook would sign for an awful Laker team so that he can get swept by Durant and the Warriors?

I think Westbrook will relay how he feels about free agency in 2017 through back channels. If the C's aren't satisfied that he would stay then I don't think they even make an offer
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2016, 08:04:20 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Why is it that every single player hated by this board is portrayed falsely as defensively inept?

First Okafor, then Butler, now Westbrook.

Westbrook can defend - if the coach demands it.

This seems like, in terms of defense, one of those multiple choice questions that asks 'which one of the following does not fit with the other two?' ;) ;D

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2016, 08:09:04 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Do you think Westbrook would sign for an awful Laker team so that he can get swept by Durant and the Warriors?

I think Westbrook will relay how he feels about free agency in 2017 through back channels. If the C's aren't satisfied that he would stay then I don't think they even make an offer

Lakers aren't the only team in LA. But yeah, he's narcissistic enough to take on that challenge.

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2016, 08:17:08 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

/Thread

Huge gamble, and the best case scenario is we get to keep Russell Westbrook?

Yikes.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2016, 08:21:58 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48

/Thread

Huge gamble, and the best case scenario is we get to keep Russell Westbrook?

Yikes.

I agree, anytime you can add a top five player in the world to a 48 win team you don't do it....

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2016, 08:50:19 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
Durant left OKC because He knows Russell leaving to LA..  He Will have Ingram to work with and he will be the King of Cali - his home..  No other team can offer him what the lakers can..

Would be a fool to give up your farm for a Farmer wearing Laker overall's..

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2016, 07:34:54 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Durant left OKC because He knows Russell leaving to LA..  He Will have Ingram to work with and he will be the King of Cali - his home..  No other team can offer him what the lakers can..

Would be a fool to give up your farm for a Farmer wearing Laker overall's..
No Durant left OKC because he is a punk.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip