Author Topic: Looks like Cavs want Wade - 3-way trade possibility?  (Read 7965 times)

Re: Looks like Cavs want Wade - 3-way trade possibility?
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2016, 04:38:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
They just need someone to take the contracts of shumpert and frye and they'll have enough money to offer wade a reasonable contract.

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2016, 04:49:51 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
A former All-Star for KO and spare parts? Sure.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2016, 04:56:58 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

::) It's called context, apply it. By that logic, Cleveland traded Lebron to Miami in 2010 for peanuts.  ::)

It's called getting something rather than nothing. At this point, it doesn't look like either Wade or Miami will budge, meaning that he'll go somewhere like Denver, Chicago, or Milwaukee if nothing changes. That's why you might as well get something for him in a sign-and-trade rather than have him walk. If he doesn't have interest in Love, which has been shown why he wouldn't, then getting some other assets like KO and a pick makes sense to facilitate the deal.

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2016, 04:58:36 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
They just need someone to take the contracts of shumpert and frye and they'll have enough money to offer wade a reasonable contract.

Welp, there go the love rumors.

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2016, 05:08:58 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I'd pick up a jumpers and frye

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2016, 05:15:20 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
That isn't true.  James would be at 26/27 million.  Plus Love at 21.1, Irving at 17.6, and Thompson at 15.3.  That is 81 million.  Plus they still have Mo Williams, Sasha Kaun, and Jordan McRae adding another 4.5 million and then they will need minimum salary cap holds, which means they would have something like 5 million to offer Wade.  That is with moving Frye and Shumpert for no salary and renouncing Smith, Jones, Jefferson, and Marion.  I don't see Wade going to Cleveland for 5 million.  Now if they traded Frye and Shumpert to Miami, they could probably work a sign and trade if they wanted to give Wade 3 years, but I don't see why Miami would want Frye or Shumpert in that scenario.  Maybe they could do a 3 team trade.  Again though, Cleveland would be close to the luxury tax line which they can't cross and would have to give Wade 3 years.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2016, 05:19:15 PM »

• Satch Sanders

::) It's called context, apply it. By that logic, Cleveland traded Lebron to Miami in 2010 for peanuts.  ::)

It's called getting something rather than nothing. At this point, it doesn't look like either Wade or Miami will budge, meaning that he'll go somewhere like Denver, Chicago, or Milwaukee if nothing changes. That's why you might as well get something for him in a sign-and-trade rather than have him walk. If he doesn't have interest in Love, which has been shown why he wouldn't, then getting some other assets like KO and a pick makes sense to facilitate the deal.

I think you misunderstood me. I meant that Boston would be getting a former All-Star (Love) and giving up only KO and spare parts to do so.

I completely understand the idea of Miami getting something for Wade rather than nothing, but I wasn't addressing that.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2016, 05:41:12 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Love was one of my favorites in the Association.

But not anymore...he's not as special as he used to be.

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2016, 05:43:44 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
That isn't true.  James would be at 26/27 million.  Plus Love at 21.1, Irving at 17.6, and Thompson at 15.3.  That is 81 million.  Plus they still have Mo Williams, Sasha Kaun, and Jordan McRae adding another 4.5 million and then they will need minimum salary cap holds, which means they would have something like 5 million to offer Wade.  That is with moving Frye and Shumpert for no salary and renouncing Smith, Jones, Jefferson, and Marion.  I don't see Wade going to Cleveland for 5 million.  Now if they traded Frye and Shumpert to Miami, they could probably work a sign and trade if they wanted to give Wade 3 years, but I don't see why Miami would want Frye or Shumpert in that scenario.  Maybe they could do a 3 team trade.  Again though, Cleveland would be close to the luxury tax line which they can't cross and would have to give Wade 3 years.

You keep saying this, but I don't think it's true. As Saltlover said earlier, they can't go above the luxury tax apron, which is $4M above the actual luxury tax itself. Thus, they have ample room to do it.

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2016, 05:44:44 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

I think you misunderstood me. I meant that Boston would be getting a former All-Star (Love) and giving up only KO and spare parts to do so.

I completely understand the idea of Miami getting something for Wade rather than nothing, but I wasn't addressing that.

Ha! I think I read it in a "sarcastic" tone. My bad. TP.

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2016, 05:47:10 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I'd do that deal.

I'm not sure there's enough alcohol in the world to get Pat Riley drunk enough to take that bag of garbage from the Celtics.

Will. Never. Happen.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2016, 05:52:00 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
I'd do that deal.

I'm not sure there's enough alcohol in the world to get Pat Riley drunk enough to take that bag of garbage from the Celtics.

Will. Never. Happen.

Yeah, having Wade just walk and getting nothing for him is definitely better than getting KO and a pick or some other assets.  ;)

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2016, 05:53:00 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'd do that deal.

Will. Never. Happen.

Yeah, having Wade just walk and getting nothing for him is definitely better than getting KO and a pick or some other assets.  ;)

Kinda' like how the Heat got Lebron several years ago for peanuts because the Cavs didn't want to lose him for nothing.

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2016, 05:57:13 PM »

• Satch Sanders

Ha! I think I read it in a "sarcastic" tone. My bad. TP.

No problem. And thanks for the TP!

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2016, 05:57:54 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

You keep saying this, but I don't think it's true. As Saltlover said earlier, they can't go above the luxury tax apron, which is $4M above the actual luxury tax itself. Thus, they have ample room to do it.

Here's the actual ruling:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q21

"23. Other than financial penalties, are there restrictions on taxpaying teams?

- Starting in 2013-14, teams cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade transaction (see question number 91) if their team salary is above the apron at the conclusion of the trade1."