Author Topic: Looks like Cavs want Wade - 3-way trade possibility?  (Read 7974 times)

Re: Looks like Cavs want Wade - 3-way trade possibility?
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 02:36:02 PM »

Online jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Isn't the thought process to keep Horford at the 4? While this trade helps our shooting I think it just creates more of a log jam. It also doesn't help our rebounding situation.
If we are going to make a trade I think it needs to be for an upgrade at the 3 or 5.

Here is the better question, we are now making Cleveland better for the next 2 years. A lineup with Lebron/Wade/Kyrie is a lot more scary then Lebron/Love/Kyrie.. Let's not forget that Richard Jefferson was solid at the 4 in the finals while love was wilting away on the bench in foul trouble (or concussed).

I don't honestly think it helps them all that much, but Lebron will want Wade to play with him, which is why they would do it.

And Amir and Horford are interchangeable at the 4/5 spot. Hroford is going to act as our de-factor center no matter who he plays with, so upgrading for Love isn't going to matter really.

Isn't the thought process Amir being including in the trade?
Amir/KO/some future pick?

Line up of:
IT/Rozer
AB/Smart
Crowder/Brown
Love/Mickey
Hoford/nobody

Also how would a sign and trade work in this scenario? I don't think it can be done in all honesty giving Cleveland's cap situation.

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2016, 02:36:37 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'll be happy to take Kyrie Irving back. Otherwise, go fish.

You don't like a potential pairing of Love and Horford? Offensively, that produces some ridiculous spacing, and it also helps with the scoring and rebounding woes we've had, all without giving up too many assets in the deal.
I hate any potential pairing in which Love will have to play PF. And he can't play C. So I don't know what to do with him, and that's before I start worrying about his body falling apart.

Well, your position is largely dependent upon who you guard rather than where you play on offense, and probably in most matchups he'll be guarding the center down in the paint more than out on the perimeter.

For example, against Cleveland Crowder and Horford would largely guard Lebron, and Love would be against the lesser offensive option of Thompson and try to neutralize his offensive rebounding.
Being the center on the defense is a lot more than just bodying up your assignment. If that was all it took, Love would have probably spent his entire career doing that. However, the bottom man in the NBA defense has to react to the ball moving around the perimeter, close up on drives, and challenge shots... and Love isn't exactly adept at any of this.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2016, 02:37:00 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
Cavs will be very close to the luxury tax and thus may not be able to sign and trade for any players. 

I also believe you can only sign and trade players on 3 year (or longer) contracts as well, which is problematic when acquiring someone like Wade (i.e. old and declining rapidly)

I think they'd take that chance with the contract with Wade, especially because GM Lebron would want it.  ;D

As for the luxury tax thing, as long as they would do it before re-signing Lebron and Wade's salary would match Love's salary, wouldn't that be a non-issue?
No.  They can't sign anyone and go over the limit if they do a sign and trade.

So what are you saying? Does a sign and trade put a hard cap on them where they can't go into the luxury tax or something?

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2016, 02:38:02 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Cavs will be very close to the luxury tax and thus may not be able to sign and trade for any players. 

I also believe you can only sign and trade players on 3 year (or longer) contracts as well, which is problematic when acquiring someone like Wade (i.e. old and declining rapidly)

I think they'd take that chance with the contract with Wade, especially because GM Lebron would want it.  ;D

As for the luxury tax thing, as long as they would do it before re-signing Lebron and Wade's salary would match Love's salary, wouldn't that be a non-issue?

As I posted the last time you said this, they can go $4 mil above the luxury tax (the apron).  They cannot go above the apron.  If they swapped out Love for Wade at $20 mil, and max out LeBron, they should have about $10.8 million to fill out the back of their roster (which would be at 10 players already).  Doesn't give them much room, but LeBron and Wade seem to have a way with recruiting their friends to take minimums, so it might not be a huge issue.

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2016, 02:42:22 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

You don't like a potential pairing of Love and Horford? Offensively, that produces some ridiculous spacing, and it also helps with the scoring and rebounding woes we've had, all without giving up too many assets in the deal.
I hate any potential pairing in which Love will have to play PF. And he can't play C. So I don't know what to do with him, and that's before I start worrying about his body falling apart.

Well, your position is largely dependent upon who you guard rather than where you play on offense, and probably in most matchups he'll be guarding the center down in the paint more than out on the perimeter.

For example, against Cleveland Crowder and Horford would largely guard Lebron, and Love would be against the lesser offensive option of Thompson and try to neutralize his offensive rebounding.
Being the center on the defense is a lot more than just bodying up your assignment. If that was all it took, Love would have probably spent his entire career doing that. However, the bottom man in the NBA defense has to react to the ball moving around the perimeter, close up on drives, and challenge shots... and Love isn't exactly adept at any of this.

Of course, but having a more versatile defender in Horford allows Love to always take the lesser matchup. Further, being surrounded on both sides by two above average defenders who have the ability to switch off on most matchups makes him easier to hide in a defense.

Look, we'll of course lose some of our defensive prowess by switching out Amir with Love, but we have yet to do anything about our scoring issues this summer. Horford helps a bit, but we still need another dynamic scorer alongside IT. If we could get Love for a package like this, then it's something where the pros outweigh the cons.

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2016, 02:42:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

If you don't want him playing power forward or center, what situation do you want him, or is this your way of saying that you don't under any circumstances want him?

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2016, 02:43:07 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
The Heat would rather just take Love in that deal.

We have to offer value that they can't get elsewhere.

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2016, 02:47:10 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Of course, but having a more versatile defender in Horford allows Love to always take the lesser matchup. Further, being surrounded on both sides by two above average defenders who have the ability to switch off on most matchups makes him easier to hide in a defense.

Look, we'll of course lose some of our defensive prowess by switching out Amir with Love, but we have yet to do anything about our scoring issues this summer. Horford helps a bit, but we still need another dynamic scorer alongside IT. If we could get Love for a package like this, then it's something where the pros outweigh the cons.
I don't know what you mean by the "lesser matchup". In any case, I don't think it matters who he is guarding, it's mostly a question of where. In today's NBA, if you're a big, you're either guarding a stretch 4/5 or playing center with no help, and I'm afraid Love is a liability in both cases. Maybe I'm not giving the dude enough credit, but I just don't see what you're going to do with Love defensively .
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2016, 02:51:31 PM »

Online jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

TP, and surprised it hasn't been mentioned before.. Why would we even be involved? Isn't a Love for Wade the best case scenario for Miami?

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2016, 02:51:41 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I know I keep asking the same question over and over but can anyone tell me how we deal with the cavs and not make them better than us? More so than they already are? We would never want to help Cleveland at this stage if we're taking on a player around the same age unless we're completely fleecing them, right? Does anyone think it's whacked that were talking about trading with the cavs?

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2016, 02:51:50 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

If you don't want him playing power forward or center, what situation do you want him, or is this your way of saying that you don't under any circumstances want him?
Frankly, I'm not even sure. Perhaps in some sort of lineup where you're playing 2 SFs who can quickly close up space and/or make sure he doesn't have to rotate a lot? Maybe I'm really just saying that I don't want him. But I don't think we'll be a good defensive team if Horford has to lurk around the 3pt line.

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2016, 02:55:04 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

TP, and surprised it hasn't been mentioned before.. Why would we even be involved? Isn't a Love for Wade the best case scenario for Miami?

Read the post. There's rumors that Miami isn't interested in Love or even really staying competitive if Wade leaves, especially with the Bosh medical situation.

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2016, 03:18:16 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
http://www.bigplay.com/dwyane-wade-gabrielle-union-begin-following-cavaliers-on-social-media-cavaliers-follow-back/

I'm telling you, we should try and get in on this.

If Riley wanted Love, then you would think this would already be in progress. Further, if Bosh does come back, then he has a logjam of max players at the 4/5 position with Whiteside, Bosh, and Love, so it doesn't make sense for him to want Love.

We should get in on this with our cap space before some other team does.

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2016, 04:35:33 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Saltlover addressed this above.

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2016, 04:36:08 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
http://www.tsn.ca/report-cavs-in-early-talks-with-wade-1.521278

Cavs in preliminary talks with Wade.

Come on, Danny! Feel the Love!  ;D