Author Topic: Looks like Cavs want Wade - 3-way trade possibility?  (Read 7930 times)

Looks like Cavs want Wade - 3-way trade possibility?
« on: July 05, 2016, 02:19:06 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
So it's no question that the Cavs want DWade in Cleveland, but they simply have no room for him with their limited cap space, which seems to be the primary obstacle in their way - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2650213-dwyane-wade-rumors-cavaliers-reportedly-an-option-for-heat-sg.

Further, it seems that Wade is demanding a 2 year/$50M deal rather than the 2 year/$40M deal that they're offering.

So I'm just spit-balling here - do you think there's any way to work out a three-way trade here where Wade goes to Cleveland, Love comes to Boston, and other assets go to Miami?

Now, you could say that why doesn't Cleveland just sign and trade Love straight for Wade? Well, I've heard that reported, but it's also been said that Miami doesn't necessarily want Love (or to compete) if Wade is going to be gone, especially with the whole Bosh medical situation.

So if they're ultimately going to lose Wade somewhere anyways, such as Cleveland, Chicago (who he still has a meeting with), or Milwaukee, wouldn't it make sense to get something for him leaving if they're not going to pay him what he wants and he walks?

What about something like this:

Boston: Love

Cleveland: Wade (something like $21.5M that Love would be making)

Miami: Amir (non-guaranteed), KO (good stretch 4 complement to Whiteside longer term), Young, and the 2019 Memphis pick

Would something like that be enough to convince them to do a sign-and-trade? The only thing is it would have to be on July 7th when Wade could actually be signed-and-traded and Amir's contract still non-guaranteed, unless they would just keep him as an expiring contract to meet the salary floor.

Miami would get something for Wade rather than watching him leave;

We'd get another star to pair with Horford in the frontcourt;

And Cleveland would get a better fitting, small-ball roster to better matchup with Golden State in Kyrie, Smith, Wade, James, and TT.

Re: Looks like Cavs want Wade - 3-way trade possibility?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 02:21:16 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'll be happy to take Kyrie Irving back. Otherwise, go fish.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 02:23:04 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

You don't like a potential pairing of Love and Horford? Offensively, that produces some ridiculous spacing, and it also helps with the scoring and rebounding woes we've had, all without giving up too many assets in the deal.

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 02:23:36 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Cavs will be very close to the luxury tax and thus may not be able to sign and trade for any players. 

I also believe you can only sign and trade players on 3 year (or longer) contracts as well, which is problematic when acquiring someone like Wade (i.e. old and declining rapidly)
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 02:24:43 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
I'd do that deal.

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 02:26:11 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
With Horford aboard we are stuck in the middle of developing picks and trying to contend.

I would do Smart and brk 18 plus filler to land love, not much else

It
Ab
Jae
Love
Horford

Can add Westbrook to college teammate Love next season, move IT to 6th man or package him for an upgrade at SG/sf.

Unlike Westbrook you have Love locked up for a few years.

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 02:27:08 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Cavs will be very close to the luxury tax and thus may not be able to sign and trade for any players. 

I also believe you can only sign and trade players on 3 year (or longer) contracts as well, which is problematic when acquiring someone like Wade (i.e. old and declining rapidly)

I think they'd take that chance with the contract with Wade, especially because GM Lebron would want it.  ;D

As for the luxury tax thing, as long as they would do it before re-signing Lebron and Wade's salary would match Love's salary, wouldn't that be a non-issue?

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 02:27:31 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
TP Potter, I'd do that trade.  Opportunity to get Love on the cheap.  He would help with our rebounding. Also has more aggression than Kelly on the offensive end.  Kelly became a good team defender, largely due to Stevens and his team, and see no reason why Love could not provide the same level of help.

I like this proposal a lot.  I think there will be a lot of pressure on CLE to do something like this. Would be a great value pick up for us.

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 02:28:12 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Isn't the thought process to keep Horford at the 4? While this trade helps our shooting I think it just creates more of a log jam. It also doesn't help our rebounding situation.
If we are going to make a trade I think it needs to be for an upgrade at the 3 or 5.

Here is the better question, we are now making Cleveland better for the next 2 years. A lineup with Lebron/Wade/Kyrie is a lot more scary then Lebron/Love/Kyrie.. Let's not forget that Richard Jefferson was solid at the 4 in the finals while love was wilting away on the bench in foul trouble (or concussed).

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 02:28:34 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
With Horford aboard we are stuck in the middle of developing picks and trying to contend.

I would do Smart and brk 18 plus filler to land love, not much else

It
Ab
Jae
Love
Horford

Can add Westbrook to college teammate Love next season, move IT to 6th man or package him for an upgrade at SG/sf.

Unlike Westbrook you have Love locked up for a few years.

You're essentially giving up way more than this scenario proposes, though lol

I'm saying send out Amir (who wouldn't really be needed if we got Love), KO, Young, and the Memphis pick in a three-way trade. That's much less than your proposal.

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 02:30:25 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Isn't the thought process to keep Horford at the 4? While this trade helps our shooting I think it just creates more of a log jam. It also doesn't help our rebounding situation.
If we are going to make a trade I think it needs to be for an upgrade at the 3 or 5.

Here is the better question, we are now making Cleveland better for the next 2 years. A lineup with Lebron/Wade/Kyrie is a lot more scary then Lebron/Love/Kyrie.. Let's not forget that Richard Jefferson was solid at the 4 in the finals while love was wilting away on the bench in foul trouble (or concussed).

I don't honestly think it helps them all that much, but Lebron will want Wade to play with him, which is why they would do it.

And Amir and Horford are interchangeable at the 4/5 spot. Hroford is going to act as our de-factor center no matter who he plays with, so upgrading for Love isn't going to matter really.

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 02:30:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

You don't like a potential pairing of Love and Horford? Offensively, that produces some ridiculous spacing, and it also helps with the scoring and rebounding woes we've had, all without giving up too many assets in the deal.
I hate any potential pairing in which Love will have to play PF. And he can't play C. So I don't know what to do with him, and that's before I start worrying about his body falling apart.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 02:32:45 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

I hate any potential pairing in which Love will have to play PF. And he can't play C. So I don't know what to do with him, and that's before I start worrying about his body falling apart.

Well, your position is largely dependent upon who you guard rather than where you play on offense, and probably in most matchups he'll be guarding the center down in the paint more than out on the perimeter.

For example, against Cleveland Crowder and Horford would largely guard Lebron, and Love would be against the lesser offensive option of Thompson and try to neutralize his offensive rebounding.

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 02:34:31 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
I was once on the bandwagon of wanting Love but I now think a stretch 4's like him is a liability. Although he's listed as 6'10, he's not much of a defensive presence which I think is needed. IMO, he doesn't have what it takes to be on the court as the only BIG on the court with 4 shooters/slashers defensively.

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 02:35:04 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I think they'd take that chance with the contract with Wade, especially because GM Lebron would want it.  ;D

As for the luxury tax thing, as long as they would do it before re-signing Lebron and Wade's salary would match Love's salary, wouldn't that be a non-issue?
No.  They can't sign anyone and go over the limit if they do a sign and trade.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip