Author Topic: Mannix on CSNNE/Toucher & Rich: Speculating Westbrook will be traded  (Read 14061 times)

Re: Mannix on CSNNE/Toucher & Rich: Speculating Westbrook will be traded
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2016, 10:04:26 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Russell Westbrook does not fit my defintion of a Boston player. That being said, if we acuired Westbrook I would be willing to tweak my definition of what makes a Boston player.

Love watching Westbrook play, his dunks are incredible of course, but for me it's that borderline insane look he gets in his eyes. Its not hatred for his opponents or love for the game that you see in those eyes, it's more like a savage, feral instinct that keeps him in attack mode throughout the whole game.

There's a reason why they said the only person who could stop Durant from averaging 30 a night was Westbrook, no amount of coaching or film sessions was going to turn him into a more cerebral player, he just can't be fully tamed. When the animal in him is unleashed there's no reasoning with him. Should that scare us off? I say no.

I believe that Brad Stevens would be capable of molding the rest of the team around him in a way that would let Westbrook go off and the rest of the squad fill in the cracks. It definitely helps that Al Horford would be an excellent fit next to him since he doesn't need plays run for him. Add onto that the murderers row of athletic guards to run with him already on the roster and we could come away with a one of the most exciting teams in recent memory.

P.S. Hope parts of this post weren't too out there. I've always been more of an aspiring Fantasy writer than a basketball analyst. Westbrook IMO is just one of those guys who'd be as comfortable swinging an axe on a battlefield as he would cramming one down on the fastbreak.

« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2016, 07:39:01 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
1. These guys literally know nothing, Jon Snow.

2. OKC isn't going to trade Westbrook. They don't have a pedigree like the Celtics. They need butts in seats, and draft picks and mediocre (next to Westbrook) players are not going to keep people coming to games. The reason this franchise has thrived is KD and Westbrook.

3. They will hold on to hope that they can bring in someone else that helps him consider re-signing, but they will fail and lose him for nothing.

They've already said that they're going to listen to offers for him, i.e. they're going to trade him for the best package that has a reasonable shot of keeping him next year.

I would bet you a million TP's that they trade him. Presti would get fired if he let two MVP-type talents walk out on him in two consecutive summers without getting anything from them, especially with Westbrook who is almost guaranteed to leave for a bigger market somewhere.

I have no doubt they are hearing offers. I have no doubt that in earnest, Presti doesn't want (and probably cant afford) to lose another big fish for nothing. But, if you are Presti, how do you sell your fans on the slop that you are going to get back knowing that any team that trades for this fella is going to be worried that he bolts after year 1 (which is likely, unless its the Lakers or Clippers)? If you are another (non LA) team, what the hell can you really offer? Presti is going to Danny Ainge the **** out of Westbrook, push for top dollar, and maybe ultimately deal him for two stale cookies and lottery spin, but I think the fans are disappointed either way.
Key point.  Losing Durant and Westbrook both for nothing will decimate the team.

So, the rumor I heard this morning is Love for Westbrook.  I have no idea if such a deal could be worked out, what other pieces are necessary or the cap considerations.  But just imagine for a moment a Finals re-match of GS-CLE.  You would have an amazing jump-shooting team (perhaps the best ever) against an amazing rim driving team.  It would also be Durant vs. Westbrook match-up which would have a lot of intrigue.  Lastly, it would continue to trend of rich-get-richer with the ultimate concentration of power into just two teams.  It boggles the mind...

« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2016, 09:11:01 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Westbrook, Irving and Lebron on same team? Not gonna work unless they change rules and allow 3 balls on court at same time. What a catastrophe.

« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2016, 09:17:42 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
You have to think that OKC is pretty bummed by not matching Reggie Jackson's contract. Knowing that they now can get value for Westbrook - maybe even somebody like Cousins, they would already have their PG of the future and a decent [role player] core in place.

I will be very interested to see what pieces OKC brings in now. If they decide to totally rebuild, they have a lot of pieces they will need to trade away. KD really screwed that team / city.

« Reply #94 on: July 08, 2016, 10:44:28 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
You don't need an on paper extension you need a gentleman's agreement to resign, ala LeBron in Cleveland.

Ask Marcus and Markieff Morris how well a gentleman's agreement works out.

Yeah, or ask the Cavs about how trustworthy Carlos Boozer is.

Even Wade did not trust Pat Riley when Riley asked him to take less this year, with the idea he'd pay him the max on a 1 year deal next summer.

"Promises" like that generally don't go very far.

« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2016, 10:46:49 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Boston fits the profile of where Westbrook would resign, from what I've seen.

But I'd want a promise, and some parameters of when it would happen, before I traded for him.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."