Poll

Would you trade Smart, Brown, and Brooklyn 2017 for Westbrook if he agreed to an extension?

Yes
19 (39.6%)
No
29 (60.4%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Poll: Trade Smart, Brown, and Brooklyn 2017 for Westbrook w/ extension?  (Read 2368 times)

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
No and it's not even close. Thunder have no leverage.

What do you mean? You think we're giving up too much or what?

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
First of all, no extension will be agreed to. There's no money incentive for Westbrook to do that at all...

Well, guess I'll just leave it at that. What you're suggesting is an impossibility to occur.

(I also hate him...)

I'm fuzzy on the extension rules, so someone would have to verify. But I read that by agreeing to an extension he could up his current salary by roughly $8M to up where Durant's would have been (26.6 or wherever) due to the cap space that they have now. Wouldn't that work for an extend and trade for us? Couldn't he just extend his contract for one year and become a free agent in 2018 instead of 2017, giving him around $8M more a year while only adding one more year to his contract to give us a bit of a safety net?

I'm sure he'd rather do that and be on a winning team than have to stay on OKC all year or be traded to a team where they'd struggle to even make the playoffs, like the Lakers.

An extension simply limits what the team can offer based on their current contract and can only be up to  a maximum of 107.5%, which currently is quite low than the current maximum. Next year there's going to be a jump in salary cap as well, so we'll see another big jump in max salaries.

So it makes no sense to him, also limited to 4-years extension instead of 5-year contract, though he might be looking for a shorter deal regardless.

Offline gamehead36

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
what in the world... 

wait, maybe you meant Cousins..

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
We would gain Westbrook and see Brad Stevens resign as coach.  ;)

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Westbrook is overrated.  Bad fit.  Biggest usage rating in the league and he's extremely inefficient.  It's basically Rondo if Rondo jacked up 20 shots per night.   Durant was carrying them. 

Our offense (top 5 in the league last season) is built around ball movement and shooting.  We don't want a 42% shooter who bricks 29% from three taking 20+ shots per night.
I wouldn't say he is extremely inefficient. He is a stat machine. 50% from 2 and 80% from the line. In a better system he would get better 3pt shots as well so the fg% would go up. He is also a nightmare iso player. We know what Cavs did with LeBron and Irving ISOs. Without Turner in the fold who is that guy in the 4th quarter right now? He is also a superior athlete who can capitalize on fastbreaks that the D of AB, Crowder and Hordford would create. I'm all for Westbrook and IT as a six man.

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Absolutely not, and not only because I thoroughly dislike him as a player, but also because he would likely just leave at the end of the year.  I do think that Smart would turn into an all star if he played in OKC for at least 41 games a year, though, lol.  Ugh.

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Westbrook is overrated.  Bad fit.  Biggest usage rating in the league and he's extremely inefficient.  It's basically Rondo if Rondo jacked up 20 shots per night.   Durant was carrying them. 

Our offense (top 5 in the league last season) is built around ball movement and shooting.  We don't want a 42% shooter who bricks 29% from three taking 20+ shots per night.

This.

Don't want that ballhog.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I wouldn't say he is extremely inefficient. He is a stat machine. 50% from 2 and 80% from the line. In a better system he would get better 3pt shots as well so the fg% would go up. He is also a nightmare iso player. We know what Cavs did with LeBron and Irving ISOs. Without Turner in the fold who is that guy in the 4th quarter right now? He is also a superior athlete who can capitalize on fastbreaks that the D of AB, Crowder and Hordford would create. I'm all for Westbrook and IT as a six man.
his efficiency was inflated because he played with arguably the most gifted offensive player in the league.  When durant sat, Westbrook bricked more.   I wouldn't count on him being successful in the type of system brad runs. 

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2650038-russell-westbrook-latest-news-rumors-speculation-on-thunder-pgs-future

Apparently, there's absolutely "no chance" that Russell will talk about an extension with the Thunder.

So he's going to be hitting the market if we want him. I'd like to see Danny at least kick the tires a bit on him.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

his efficiency was inflated because he played with arguably the most gifted offensive player in the league.  When durant sat, Westbrook bricked more.   I wouldn't count on him being successful in the type of system brad runs.
Wouldn't anyone who watched IT in Sac/Phx and Turner in Phi/Indie think they were bad fits as well? Westbrook has been growing into a more team player already with his triple doubles. I'm going to have to disagree and say he would fit.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
Why do people keep ignoring the fact the OP says extension. They dismiss it. Without the extension though the price would be even lower and the poll trade actually different. Maybe Smart and 2018 Nets first for Westbrook.

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
No and it's not even close. Thunder have no leverage.

What do you mean? You think we're giving up too much or what?

No I'm saying the Thunder can only keep him for one year. I don't think it will take that much to trade for him. Now if he had Cousin's contract, that would be a different situation. The longer the Thunder wait, the more his value will depreciate. It's like when ATL tried to trade Horford, they were offered crap.

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I would do it. We would also probably have to include Amir and JJ or renounce Zeller and/or Sully.

If we are going to trade Brown so quickly, Ainge probably shot himself in the foot by not picking a more popular player that other teams would value more.

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
Mark Cuban was right: Westbrook is a star, not a superstar.