Poll

Would you trade Smart, Brown, and Brooklyn 2017 for Westbrook if he agreed to an extension?

Yes
19 (39.6%)
No
29 (60.4%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Poll: Trade Smart, Brown, and Brooklyn 2017 for Westbrook w/ extension?  (Read 2370 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
I think this is what it will take to get it done to just trade him into our cap space, and if he would extend-and-trade with us, you absolutely have to do it.

They should have no interest in anyone like Bradley or Crowder, because if they think GS will be the dominant force that many think, there's no point in fielding a competitive team right now. They should get as many young, high-ceiling assets as they can for him, along with likely a top-5 pick that they can pair with their own high pick in next year's strong draft. That'd leave them with a core of Smart, Oladipo, Brown, Sabonis, and Adams, which is actually a ridiculously strong core to go forward with along with the picks they'd get.

Also, if any team values Smart, it's OKC. That would take him back to his roots in the Texas/OKC area, where he's played ridiculously well the last two seasons:

Smart 2015-2016 @ OKC: 26 pts, 8 rebs, 3 asts, 1 blk, 1 stl, 9-14 fg, 3-5 3pfg, 5-8 FT

Smart 2014-2015 @ OKC: 25 pts, 9 rebs, 5 asts, 2 blk, 2 stl, 8-14 fg, 7-12 3pfg, 2-4 FT

And even if he wouldn't extend, you almost have to take that chance and do it anyways. Just think, if he didn't extend, then we'd have his Bird rights for next year and could add someone like Griffin before ultimately re-signing him.

But if he would extend and be traded for this package, that'd be the best-case scenario and would leave us with the following roster:

PG: Westbrook, IT
SG: Bradley, Rozier
SF: Crowder, Free Agent
PF: Olynyk, Mickey/Guerschon
C: Horford, Zizic

That's a championship roster and one that could compete with both Cleveland and Golden State.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd take that trade. IT as six man works for me.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
First of all, no extension will be agreed to. There's no money incentive for Westbrook to do that at all...

Well, guess I'll just leave it at that. What you're suggesting is an impossibility to occur.

(I also hate him...)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
First of all, no extension will be agreed to. There's no money incentive for Westbrook to do that at all...

Well, guess I'll just leave it at that. What you're suggesting is an impossibility to occur.

(I also hate him...)

I'm fuzzy on the extension rules, so someone would have to verify. But I read that by agreeing to an extension he could up his current salary by roughly $8M to up where Durant's would have been (26.6 or wherever) due to the cap space that they have now. Wouldn't that work for an extend and trade for us? Couldn't he just extend his contract for one year and become a free agent in 2018 instead of 2017, giving him around $8M more a year while only adding one more year to his contract to give us a bit of a safety net?

I'm sure he'd rather do that and be on a winning team than have to stay on OKC all year or be traded to a team where they'd struggle to even make the playoffs, like the Lakers.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Westbrook is overrated.  Bad fit.  Biggest usage rating in the league and he's extremely inefficient.  It's basically Rondo if Rondo jacked up 20 shots per night.   Durant was carrying them. 

Our offense (top 5 in the league last season) is built around ball movement and shooting.  We don't want a 42% shooter who bricks 29% from three taking 20+ shots per night.

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Yes, but only reluctantly. Westbrook would be a steal for that price
I'm bitter.

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Jesus...

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Westbrook is overrated.  Bad fit.  Biggest usage rating in the league and he's extremely inefficient.  It's basically Rondo if Rondo jacked up 20 shots per night.   Durant was carrying them. 

Our offense (top 5 in the league last season) is built around ball movement and shooting.  We don't want a 42% shooter who bricks 29% from three taking 20+ shots per night.

Totally agree

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
what in the world... 

wait, maybe you meant Cousins..

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Yes, but only reluctantly. Westbrook would be a steal for that price

Yeah, I don't understand some of the pickiness on this blog. You wouldn't want a legit MVP talent on the roster?

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I don't think this is a win right now team. I'd rather wait another year and keep building with youth. Let Lebron turn 33. Let Durant play in Golden State a year. Let's see if our young guys come back way stronger. Save our money. That kind of thing

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Westbrook won't age well, and that's a lot, but I'd do it. He's too talented to turn down.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
No way

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
No and it's not even close. Thunder have no leverage.

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
You would give up most of your assets for a team that couldn't win it, no.