Author Topic: Get Okafor and we will pick teams apart  (Read 2041 times)

Get Okafor and we will pick teams apart
« on: July 02, 2016, 10:32:46 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
We will legitimately pick teams apart if we add Okafor. He is undervalued but solid 280lb big men usually struggle on rotations and certain aspects when they are 19 and playing on a team that had no other legit scorer or threat from outside, allowing teams to pack it in on a 19 year old rookie.
Hortford would be perfect next to Okafor. our team would just be way too dynamic to stop. But having Okafor will open the floor up for cuts and keep the defense honest which will give our 1-4 great opportunities for much better looks from beyond the arc....

3pm per game during 15/16 season
IT=2.04
AB=1.93
Crowder=1.67
Hortford=1.07 @34.4%

1-4 can shoot the hell out of the 3 and play hard nose D. We should 100% make the trade for Okafor even if it is the 2017 BKN selection for Okafor. This way we keep Jaylen Brown, although I would be more likely to include Smart in the deal to get it done, especially bc Philly has LAL 2017 top3 protected and 2017 Heat unprotected....

Adding Okafor to the team will not only give us the best low-post scorer to come out of college in some time, and more than likely he is much improved with 1 year of experience and coaching and physical maturing. He will:
-open things up even more for the other players.
-get the opposing teams bigs in foul trouble
- Hit ft's at a 70% clip
-take other 5's off the dribble and to the hoop
-have a better stroke and jumper
-handle any legit 5 on defense

Honestly, Okafor could be the best CENTER in the East and probably the best in the playoffs(legit big guy that overpowers and scores at will) and he would perfectly balance our team out.

IT
AB
Crowder
Hortford
Okafor= solid 280, 7'6.25'' wingspan, 9'3'' standing reach, and undeniable skill and bbiq

Re: Get Okafor and we will pick teams apart
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 10:54:56 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Cheaper to acquire than Boogie.

But I fear he's not good enough defensively.

I'm torn.

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 11:00:58 PM »

Offline OHCeltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Send Rozier and a 1st round pick for Okafor.

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 10:48:33 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

I'm torn.
He would be great for our cap situation and signing another FA in Durant and etc or next FA period in 2017 summer.

As far as his defense, talent, and ability to improve....well all those and more have been written off by many people(not me) and that is why he is so undervalued and IMO possibly the most undervalued player in the NBA, depending completely on what it takes to acquire him.

DEFENSIVELY
He is a super high bbiq guy and even though he is more athletic than these players, KO and Zeller from a year ago, he has the BBIQ, size, length, shot-blocking ability, and a whole year of NBA experience (and time to physically mature) to play very good toexcellent INTERIOR DEFENSE. He did average 2 blocks a game during the first 1/3 of the season, which does not make him a good defender, but may show that during his rookie season he got winded early and that is something he knows he needs to improve.

Since we have Jaylen Brown, James Young, Rj Hunter, and Rozier: Marcus Smart (if DA sees him as never really improving his shot) would be the best value to offer. But I do not know what they want for Okafor or what they think of Smart. But it would be unbelievable if we could do Smart 4 Okafor. Philly has 2 possible great picks, besides their own but who knows how good they will be this year, the LAL 2017(top3 protected) and the 2017 Heat 1st unprotected. With an aging Wade, who played the most last year since 2011 bc of Bosh being out and possibly not returning, and losing Deng who had a resurgence as a small ball 4 when bosh left.

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 10:59:54 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Send Rozier and a 1st round pick for Okafor.
Maybe, depending upon which 1st rounder (NOT BKN PICKS). I definitely would not offer Smart.  Remember, Philly is not in a good negotiating position, everybody knows they have an imbalance on their roster of frontcourt/backcourt they must fix.  Nothing has changed significantly since Draft Night for them.

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 11:05:47 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65

I'm torn.

I have heard this more than once but I don't really think we have a big enough sample to determine whether Okafor is not good at defense. 1 year at Duke, 1 lousy year with Philly. If he is athletic enough, he will be good at defense.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 11:18:36 AM by Pucaccia »

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 11:11:23 AM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
We will legitimately pick teams apart if we add Okafor. He is undervalued but solid 280lb big men usually struggle on rotations and certain aspects when they are 19 and playing on a team that had no other legit scorer or threat from outside, allowing teams to pack it in on a 19 year old rookie.
Hortford would be perfect next to Okafor. our team would just be way too dynamic to stop. But having Okafor will open the floor up for cuts and keep the defense honest which will give our 1-4 great opportunities for much better looks from beyond the arc....

3pm per game during 15/16 season
IT=2.04
AB=1.93
Crowder=1.67
Hortford=1.07 @34.4%

1-4 can shoot the hell out of the 3 and play hard nose D. We should 100% make the trade for Okafor even if it is the 2017 BKN selection for Okafor. This way we keep Jaylen Brown, although I would be more likely to include Smart in the deal to get it done, especially bc Philly has LAL 2017 top3 protected and 2017 Heat unprotected....

Adding Okafor to the team will not only give us the best low-post scorer to come out of college in some time, and more than likely he is much improved with 1 year of experience and coaching and physical maturing. He will:
-open things up even more for the other players.
-get the opposing teams bigs in foul trouble
- Hit ft's at a 70% clip
-take other 5's off the dribble and to the hoop
-have a better stroke and jumper
-handle any legit 5 on defense

Honestly, Okafor could be the best CENTER in the East and probably the best in the playoffs(legit big guy that overpowers and scores at will) and he would perfectly balance our team out.

IT
AB
Crowder
Hortford
Okafor= solid 280, 7'6.25'' wingspan, 9'3'' standing reach, and undeniable skill and bbiq

I'm all in on this move. I've been screaming it from the mountain tops. Okafor is a beast that commands a double team. He makes our shooters much more effective. He's still 19 years old. CBS can teach him to be an excellent team defender. Put him in a winning culture with a great coach like he had at Duke and he will thrive.

Okafor will be a career 20/12 guy. Pairing him with Horford would be unstoppable in the EC.

Personally, I thought we should have traded for him on draft night.

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 11:11:53 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
It humorous to think that there was debate between Towns and Okafor for the #1 pick.  Okafor was the consensus #1 for quite a long time IIRC, but Towns pulled ahead and Minny picked him.

The difference between them now is glaring.  One is a franchise centerpiece and the other seems to be untradeable. 

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 11:13:48 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
It humorous to think that there was debate between Towns and Okafor for the #1 pick.  Okafor was the consensus #1 for quite a long time IIRC, but Towns pulled ahead and Minny picked him.

The difference between them now is glaring.  One is a franchise centerpiece and the other seems to be untradeable. 

Point gladly taken, but if Jahil Okafor is untradeable it's solely because the asking price is probably quite high.

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 11:18:14 AM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Just curious why you used his 2013 wingspan instead of the 2014 (closest to current.) I mean 7'5 vs 7'6.25 isn't much when talking about that kind of length, but why use hyperbole? Is there a fatal flaw in the newer measurement?

I'm genuinely curious not being critical.

#JKJB

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 11:26:06 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I think this is a legit idea after acquiring Horford. Depending what we have to give up I'm interested.

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 11:31:16 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
FCO, i appreciate the idea here, but i think you are probably overrating okafur's defense. he is known to be a poor defender under the basket as well as on the pick and roll. this is clearly a major draw back to him.

next, he would not fit with CBS space and pace schemes. okafur is a an anarchronism. 15 or even 10 years ago, yes, he fits with the nba playing style. but not today. he plays under the basket. period. you gives the offense that and only that. he cannot stretch the floor nor draw his defender away from the basket by threatening to make 3 pointers.

he would clog up the middle instead of opening it up.

i understand you desire for him, but i think the celtics are better served by having a center who can play better within CBS' schemes.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 09:50:55 PM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
Now that we have Horford, a big man who can defend and play PF, perhaps we roll the die with Okafor. Bradley for Okafor may be the wiser move than Smart for Okafor. I would still prefer to convince the Sixers to part with Embiid. Unlike Noel and Okafor, who may become solid starters or perhaps all-stars, Embiid has the potential to become First Team All-NBA. I would trade Bradley and one of the Brooklyn picks for him.