Author Topic: With Horford on board, if KD stays in OKC, go after Butler hard!  (Read 3484 times)

Re: With Horford on board, if KD stays in OKC, go after Butler hard!
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2016, 08:54:13 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
We have so many young players and future picks that I'd hate to give up that promising future in the hopes of Butler being the difference maker to win now.  I'd probably do it for Cousins though.  But if we sign Durant, we will win now and for a long time to come.  DYNASTY!

I agree, we have the perfect supporting cast for Durant. Trading away salries to match Butler would leave us with holes to fill and I am not convinced Butler gets us over the hump especially with losing players like bradley or crowder who will be needed to swarm Lebron and company. I BELIEVE Durant is possible and if not...next year we can look to add last piece in free agency while keeping pour current roster together.

Did you not read the post? The only significant salary you'd be trading would be Amir's non-guaranteed salary.

Yes, sorry did not address the premise more. I do not believe that Bulls team would accept that package. We would have to include one of Bradley or Crowder..so many rumors had them asking for both plus dunn and picks which is way too much. I would prefer if trading the picks and parts, it be for someone like Cousins. We have to remember the stingy owner of the Bulls we are dealing with..they wont accept an offer that is not grand theft larceny.

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2016, 09:36:47 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
We have so many young players and future picks that I'd hate to give up that promising future in the hopes of Butler being the difference maker to win now.  I'd probably do it for Cousins though.  But if we sign Durant, we will win now and for a long time to come.  DYNASTY!

I agree, we have the perfect supporting cast for Durant. Trading away salries to match Butler would leave us with holes to fill and I am not convinced Butler gets us over the hump especially with losing players like bradley or crowder who will be needed to swarm Lebron and company. I BELIEVE Durant is possible and if not...next year we can look to add last piece in free agency while keeping pour current roster together.

Did you not read the post? The only significant salary you'd be trading would be Amir's non-guaranteed salary.
I think Amir's and JJ's salaries become guaranteed on the 7th.  Also the Bulls would want the 2017 BKN pick not the 2018 pick. 

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2016, 10:03:23 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I'm pretty sure the Bulls wanted Bradley, Crowder and #3 (Dunn, specifically) for Butler.

I very seriously doubt they would even consider trading him for Brown and a future pick alone.  I think that's dreaming to be honest.

I think that at a minimum it would take:

* Smart (PG to replace Rose) - $3.5M
* Crowder or Bradley (they were obviously high on these two) - $8M
* Jerebko (filler) - $5M
* Young (filler) - $1.8M
* The rights to swap picks with Broklyn in 2017.

That would put us at around $17M going out.  I'm not even sure if they accept this to be honest, as they word is that they wouldn't take the deal earlier without both Bradley AND Crowder being included - and that would have been on the basis that they get to pick their guy at #3 too.

More realistic might be:

* Crowder - $8M
* Bradley - $8M
* Young - $1.8M
* Future Brooklyn first

This would match up on salaries and also gets the Bulls what they reported originally wanted. 

It sounds like a crippling deal at first, but what we need to consider is that if we were to get Horford AND Butler, then I think that would almost assure us that Durant would follow them here...and if we had Butler and Durant at SG and SF, I don't think we'd be missing Bradley and Crowder all that much.  Nor would we likely care much about that Brooklyn pick.

We could then move forward with:

PG: Thomas
SG: Butler
SF: Durant
PF: Horford
C: Amir / KO / Sully

If we could then managed to make ANOTHER move and trade Smart and a pick or two for Noel, that would give us...

Thomas, Butler, Durant, Horford, Noel.

That's got to be the best starting five in the NBA, right?

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2016, 10:21:37 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
I'm pretty sure the Bulls wanted Bradley, Crowder and #3 (Dunn, specifically) for Butler.

I very seriously doubt they would even consider trading him for Brown and a future pick alone.  I think that's dreaming to be honest.

I think that at a minimum it would take:

* Smart (PG to replace Rose) - $3.5M
* Crowder or Bradley (they were obviously high on these two) - $8M
* Jerebko (filler) - $5M
* Young (filler) - $1.8M
* The rights to swap picks with Broklyn in 2017.

That would put us at around $17M going out.  I'm not even sure if they accept this to be honest, as they word is that they wouldn't take the deal earlier without both Bradley AND Crowder being included - and that would have been on the basis that they get to pick their guy at #3 too.

More realistic might be:

* Crowder - $8M
* Bradley - $8M
* Young - $1.8M
* Future Brooklyn first

This would match up on salaries and also gets the Bulls what they reported originally wanted. 

It sounds like a crippling deal at first, but what we need to consider is that if we were to get Horford AND Butler, then I think that would almost assure us that Durant would follow them here...and if we had Butler and Durant at SG and SF, I don't think we'd be missing Bradley and Crowder all that much.  Nor would we likely care much about that Brooklyn pick.

We could then move forward with:

PG: Thomas
SG: Butler
SF: Durant
PF: Horford
C: Amir / KO / Sully

If we could then managed to make ANOTHER move and trade Smart and a pick or two for Noel, that would give us...

Thomas, Butler, Durant, Horford, Noel.

That's got to be the best starting five in the NBA, right?

The reason I don't think they'd want Bradley or Crowder is that they'd ultimately be making a second super-team in the East, combined with the two to three super-teams in the East, meaning they'd have no interest in being competitive any time soon. Giving them Brown, who is a high ceiling prospect, in addition to the Brooklyn pick in 2018 would give them a good base for the future.

And I think we could get away with the 2018 pick rather than the 2017 pick, because Chicago will do their own tanking for a good pick in 2017.