Author Topic: With Horford on board, if KD stays in OKC, go after Butler hard!  (Read 3482 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
With Horford now committed, we are clearly in win-now mode with no turning back. We must capitalize on our assets now and do what we can to make ourselves as good as we can.

So if KD doesn't end up leaving OKC, or at least not choosing Boston, then we should go HARD after Butler.

But what is different now than at the draft? A) We have a direction to go in - winning and not rebuilding, and B) we won't have to worry about cap space for anyone else.

With that being said, I've seen several prominent Bulls bloggers and writers talk about Butler's price right now, and it'd probably be something like Brown and one of the Brooklyn picks/swaps. They've all talked about Crowder or Bradley not making sense for them due to their age/mileage, which actually works out for both sides. So here's what we should do - offer them the non-guaranteed contract of Amir, Hunter, the rights to Brown, and the Brooklyn 2018 pick.

This allows us to not give up a rotation player in Crowder, Bradley, or Smart, which was the hangup for most here that didn't want to do that trade. They'd almost have to take that offer after this offseason, and I think they'd ultimately take it.

This would give us the following roster:

PG: IT, Rozier
SG: Bradley, Smart
SF: Butler, Crowder
PF: KO, JJ, Mickey
C: Horford, Zizic

Or we could go small with Butler and Crowder playing the forward positions.

Either way, it greatly strengthens our rotation without giving up one of our core rotation guys. Also, I'm sure after the ridiculous contracts that have been handed out the last several days that Butler's roughly $18M he'll get next year for us (a little higher due to trade kicker) looks much more palatable than it did at the draft. Further, we should still have room next year to add another max contract with an even higher cap, so this is a win-win for us.

Yes, Durant is still our number one goal, but this is a great back-up plan to that. And though it will hurt losing Brown and the 2018 pick, getting a multiple-time All-Star in Butler on a very, very good deal will make us both a legit contender this year and much more attractive to free agents next summer.

Who says no?

Re: With Horford on board, if KD stays in OKC, go after Butler hard!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 08:23:59 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I dont know. With horford we are now a lock for the top 4 seed barring injury. Butler doesnt move u past cleveland. Durant might. Id just wait and remain flexible.

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 08:25:05 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'd prefer to go after Cousins hard and have a powerhouse frontcourt to add to IT and our pitbulls on the perimeter.

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 08:27:26 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
I dont know. With horford we are now a lock for the top 4 seed barring injury. Butler doesnt move u past cleveland. Durant might. Id just wait and remain flexible.

I think he does. He's one of the best containers of Lebron in the league, and he adds more scoring to a roster that still needs it.

And we'd only go after him if Durant resigned in OKC this year; however, that doesn't mean we still couldn't get Durant next year if he truly will look again next summer. We'll have room for another max next season, or very close to it if not.

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 08:29:27 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
I'd prefer to go after Cousins hard and have a powerhouse frontcourt to add to IT and our pitbulls on the perimeter.

Mannnnn, I'd love Cousins, but I'm not sure about a Horford/Cousins frontcourt. Offensively it's great, but I'm not sure if either of them are mobile enough to guard quicker 4's on the perimeter if need be.

Also, I'm not sure if he's even available. The Afflalo signing, which I think was a great signing for them, seemed to suggest they're trying for the playoffs again this year. Cousins also only has two more years on his contract compared to four for Butler.

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 08:30:41 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I think he does. He's one of the best containers of Lebron in the league, and he adds more scoring to a roster that still needs it.

And we'd only go after him if Durant resigned in OKC this year; however, that doesn't mean we still couldn't get Durant next year if he truly will look again next summer. We'll have room for another max next season, or very close to it if not.

It depends on what ultimately gets sent to Chicago for Butler.  But depending on the players, we might not have Durant max room, which could be about $38 million.

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 08:32:31 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I think the best chance to get Butler was pre-draft. Allegedly, the Bulls were high on Kris Dunn and was going to take him with #3. The way I see it: No Dunn, no deal.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 08:36:54 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
I'd honestly swing a deal now for Butler to tell KD come to Boston and win a championship. It would be the Big 3 all over again.

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 08:37:24 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
We have so many young players and future picks that I'd hate to give up that promising future in the hopes of Butler being the difference maker to win now.  I'd probably do it for Cousins though.  But if we sign Durant, we will win now and for a long time to come.  DYNASTY!

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 08:47:10 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
We have so many young players and future picks that I'd hate to give up that promising future in the hopes of Butler being the difference maker to win now.  I'd probably do it for Cousins though.  But if we sign Durant, we will win now and for a long time to come.  DYNASTY!

I agree, we have the perfect supporting cast for Durant. Trading away salries to match Butler would leave us with holes to fill and I am not convinced Butler gets us over the hump especially with losing players like bradley or crowder who will be needed to swarm Lebron and company. I BELIEVE Durant is possible and if not...next year we can look to add last piece in free agency while keeping pour current roster together.

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 08:49:09 PM »

Offline YeezusChrist

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
I don't think Butler is the right move if we miss out on KD because that wouldn't make us better than Cleveland plus it would damage our future. We have the chance to still challenge the Cavs with the Horford signing alone while being prepped for the future. But if KD signs with us we will be a top 5 team in the league and a top 5 team for the future with Smart, Brown, and all the Brooklyn picks. I think if KD doesn't come here we keep Amir and Jerebko and run with the roster that we have.

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 08:49:18 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
we do not need Butler we have a core of role players that beat GSW last year we need to add to that core and not mess with it. We can do that, and that is what should be done.

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 08:49:40 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

I agree, we have the perfect supporting cast for Durant. Trading away salries to match Butler would leave us with holes to fill and I am not convinced Butler gets us over the hump especially with losing players like bradley or crowder who will be needed to swarm Lebron and company. I BELIEVE Durant is possible and if not...next year we can look to add last piece in free agency while keeping pour current roster together.

Did you not read the post? The only significant salary you'd be trading would be Amir's non-guaranteed salary.

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 08:50:51 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
we do not need Butler we have a core of role players that beat GSW last year we need to add to that core and not mess with it. We can do that, and that is what should be done.

Read the post. What part of the core did I propose that we lose? In fact, I explicitly stated that's why we should be willing to overpay a bit in draft picks for him - to not mess with our core. I love Amir, but he was not part of our core..

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2016, 08:51:13 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

This. I am ready to move on from Butler and see just how married Sacto is to Boogie.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."