Author Topic: Al Horford agrees to 4-year, $113M deal with the Boston Celtics!!  (Read 80170 times)

Re: Al Horford agrees to 4-year, $113M deal with the Boston Celtics!!
« Reply #330 on: July 03, 2016, 10:43:22 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Taurean Prince is already better than Jae? Just when I thought I'd heard it all.

If we had picked him would he still be better than Jae? Or would Danny have made a terrible move since he drafted a guy who projects to be maybe as good as Jae, and hence would be redundant?
My personal favorite was the implication that it our only hope would be to play Jackson and Bentil.

Given that Bentil is an inside-out threat like Millsap, yeah, I think that that we be a good way to offset Millsap's production, and of the guys we have off of the bench, Jackson is the best playmaker of the bunch, especially since we just lost Turner.  Who would you rather have running the offense?  Rozier?  Smart?  Brown?  Ahahaha ;D.
I respect that you disregard the consensus or expert opinion and completely form your own, but surely you can see why some find it absurd to look at a team with 2 all stars a 1 team all defense player, a proven contributor like Jae Crowder and recent top 10 picks Marcus Smart and Jaylen Brown and say the two guys who stand out to you are the 45 and 49th picks from a recent draft who have played exactly 0 NBA minutes.

Also I really like Demetrius Jackson but think you are overrating his ability to run an offense. he can run pick and roll, but ND had a pretty disgustingly rigid offense. Could be more the fault of the system,  but still.

Sure, even though Jackson was taken at 45 and Bentil at 51, as opposed to 49, and as I said in my thread entitled 'Jackson or Rozier', I give Ainge huge props for getting them at those spots, even though they were practically no brainers, imo, but still, I give Danny tremendous credit for that.  Those guys are first round talents, and I was surprised that the Bulls didn't take Jackson, especially after they had just traded Rose.  I don't know how good either of these guys will become, but I like what I see, and as of right now, just based off of what they did in college, I'd say that we got better players at 45 and 51 than we did with any of our first rounders, but I'm probably wrong and I really hope that that will not be the case regarding Jaylen Brown.  I really want him to shine, tomorrow, and the same for all of our guys :).  Well, except for James Young, lol ;D.

It's one thing to like those guys, but it's another thing to state that they are already better than every player already on the team.  Honestly, that's silly and bizarre.  You suggested trading IT and Olynyk for Poetl.  I don't mean to be mean, but you have to be ready to take some sht over those comments and not to get offended by it.

Hmm, I never actually said that, but whatever, and you're missing the point, entirely, anyway.

You said that Jackson is our best point guard right now and that Bentil is better than Crowder right now.  No wonder so many people are arguing with you on this thread.

« Reply #331 on: July 03, 2016, 10:56:34 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Taurean Prince is already better than Jae? Just when I thought I'd heard it all.

If we had picked him would he still be better than Jae? Or would Danny have made a terrible move since he drafted a guy who projects to be maybe as good as Jae, and hence would be redundant?
My personal favorite was the implication that it our only hope would be to play Jackson and Bentil.

Given that Bentil is an inside-out threat like Millsap, yeah, I think that that we be a good way to offset Millsap's production, and of the guys we have off of the bench, Jackson is the best playmaker of the bunch, especially since we just lost Turner.  Who would you rather have running the offense?  Rozier?  Smart?  Brown?  Ahahaha ;D.
I respect that you disregard the consensus or expert opinion and completely form your own, but surely you can see why some find it absurd to look at a team with 2 all stars a 1 team all defense player, a proven contributor like Jae Crowder and recent top 10 picks Marcus Smart and Jaylen Brown and say the two guys who stand out to you are the 45 and 49th picks from a recent draft who have played exactly 0 NBA minutes.

Also I really like Demetrius Jackson but think you are overrating his ability to run an offense. he can run pick and roll, but ND had a pretty disgustingly rigid offense. Could be more the fault of the system,  but still.

Sure, even though Jackson was taken at 45 and Bentil at 51, as opposed to 49, and as I said in my thread entitled 'Jackson or Rozier', I give Ainge huge props for getting them at those spots, even though they were practically no brainers, imo, but still, I give Danny tremendous credit for that.  Those guys are first round talents, and I was surprised that the Bulls didn't take Jackson, especially after they had just traded Rose.  I don't know how good either of these guys will become, but I like what I see, and as of right now, just based off of what they did in college, I'd say that we got better players at 45 and 51 than we did with any of our first rounders, but I'm probably wrong and I really hope that that will not be the case regarding Jaylen Brown.  I really want him to shine, tomorrow, and the same for all of our guys :).  Well, except for James Young, lol ;D.

It's one thing to like those guys, but it's another thing to state that they are already better than every player already on the team.  Honestly, that's silly and bizarre.  You suggested trading IT and Olynyk for Poetl.  I don't mean to be mean, but you have to be ready to take some sht over those comments and not to get offended by it.

Hmm, I never actually said that, but whatever, and you're missing the point, entirely, anyway.

You said that Jackson is our best point guard right now and that Bentil is better than Crowder right now.  No wonder so many people are arguing with you on this thread.

Sigh.  If you're going to attack me, can you at least bother to get your facts straight?  I said that Taurean Prince - not Ben Bentil - was, IMO, already better than Crowder for the reasons that I stated.  I didn't just say that Prince was better than Jae like it was a fact at all, that's what the 'imo' is for ;). Is it wrong to have an opinion, now?  Geesh.

« Reply #332 on: July 03, 2016, 11:00:15 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

Sigh.  If you're going to attack me, can you at least bother to get your facts straight?  I said that Taurean Prince - not Ben Bentil - was, IMO, already better than Crowder for the reasons that I stated.  I didn't just say that Prince was better than Jae like it was a fact at all, that's what the 'imo' is for ;). Is it wrong to have an opinion, now?  Geesh.

It's wrong to have the wrong opinion.

« Reply #333 on: July 03, 2016, 11:01:44 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Breakdown of Al Horford's 4-year deal:
2016-17: $26,540,100
2017-18: $27,734,405
2018-19: $28,928,709
2019-20: $30,123,014 (player option)

There is no way he is not going to pick up that 4th year but it is a player option year.

How do you know he's gonna pick up that option? Just saying. With the cap exploding more next year, and even with a leveling off, Stevens is REALLY good at getting the most out of his players.

I firmly believe he's going to get the absolute most out of Horford in the next couple years. I think it's very possible he has the best years of his career this year and next. If that happens and someone will still give him max money (on shorter years) he could deff opt out.

Howard just opted out of 24 Million for less than that. If players think they have a chance to get paid more, they very well could try.

« Reply #334 on: July 03, 2016, 11:01:54 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

It's wrong to have the wrong opinion.

Lol, well said - TP.

« Reply #335 on: July 03, 2016, 11:08:47 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

Sigh.  If you're going to attack me, can you at least get your facts straight.  I said that Taurean Prince - not Ben Bentil - was, IMO, already better than Crowder for the reasons that I stated.  I didn't just say that Prince was better than Jae like it was a fact at all, that's what the 'imo' is for ;). Is it wrong to have an opinion, now?  Geesh.

It's not wrong to have an opinion, but when your opinions are so far out there, you can't be so argumentative and have such thin skin.  I'm not going to look up your comments about Bentil, but you admit that you said that Jackson is already better than our NBA all star PG.  And that you said we should trade IT and Olynyk for Poetl.  Hey, if you just laughed about it, fine, but you have been defensive and argumentative with a bunch of people here. 

To be fair, you bring a lot humor here which I appreciate. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 11:26:45 PM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #336 on: July 03, 2016, 11:28:17 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Sigh.  If you're going to attack me, can you at least get your facts straight.  I said that Taurean Prince - not Ben Bentil - was, IMO, already better than Crowder for the reasons that I stated.  I didn't just say that Prince was better than Jae like it was a fact at all, that's what the 'imo' is for ;). Is it wrong to have an opinion, now?  Geesh.

It's not wrong to have an opinion, but when your opinions are so far out there, you can't be so argumentative and have such thin skin.  I'm not going to look up your comments about Bentil, but at least you admit that you said that Jackson is already better than our NBA all star PG.  Or that you said we should trade IT and Olynyk for Poetl.  Hey, if you just laughed about it, fine, but you have been defensive and argumentative with a bunch of people here. 

To be fair, you generally bring humor here which I appreciate.

Yeah, because they were attacking me as a person as opposed to just arguing with what I had posted.  I don't see eye to eye with everyone all the time, either, but I don't go around mocking them by putting something that they said in my sig and then announcing to the forum about how awesome it is ::).  That's the difference.   

And yes, I did say both of those things in regards to the trade for Poeltl and about Jackson being better than our point guards, but did you see my reasons for saying that?  I didn't just state it as a fact (and I was actually responding to a point made by crimson, so I didn't just put it out there in the first post of the thread, or anything) - I looked at Jackson's strengths as opposed to IT, Smart, and Rozier, who isn't really a point guard, although neither is Smart, really, and applied them accordingly.  I guess the way that I look at it is that Jackson has all of the best attributes of those players and then some, but again, that's just my opinion.  Here's what I said, for the record -

To be completely honest, I don't want to choose - I want both.

I think Jackson and Rozier both have a higher upside then Marcus Smart, and I see a Jackson/Rozier backcourt being more dangerous then any backcourt with Smart in it.

That's no disrespect to Smart - love the kid.  Just that I really like Jackson and Rozier - they are both explosive athletes who can handle the ball, score, pass, shoot, and get to the basket...and they are both tough kids who play with a lot of passion. 

I'm trying to imagine Jackson, Rozier and Brown coming off the bench this year as our backups at the PG / SG / SF spot.  That could the most athletic bench in the entire NBA.

Oh without a doubt, but especially Jackson, imo.  In looking at his stats and watching some youtube clips, lol ;D, I think he's already the best point guard on our roster, including IT, and I'll tell you why.  He's a much better defender, ball handler, shooter, passer, and can operate off the ball much more successfully, than Thomas, he has superior athleticism, quickness, and decision making to Smart, and he plays with fire but also under control and knows who he is as a player, unlike Rozier.  Here's his 24 point, 4 assist performance at Duke -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmdXw7OJjZs

Tell me, because I know that I'm probably being ridiculous, here, but does anyone else see Jackson as Tim Hardaway, albeit without the signature crossover but the strength, quickness, and athleticism, not to mention the similar shooting form, meets Eric Bledsoe?  Yeah, it's probably just me, lol ;D.

Yeah, I get it - I'm probably wrong, as usual, but at least I made fun of myself in the process as opposed to just laying my opinion out there like it's an indisputable fact or something because I know everything.  Geesh.

« Reply #337 on: July 03, 2016, 11:40:16 PM »

Offline EvilEmpire

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Breakdown of Al Horford's 4-year deal:
2016-17: $26,540,100
2017-18: $27,734,405
2018-19: $28,928,709
2019-20: $30,123,014 (player option)

There is no way he is not going to pick up that 4th year but it is a player option year.

How do you know he's gonna pick up that option? Just saying. With the cap exploding more next year, and even with a leveling off, Stevens is REALLY good at getting the most out of his players.

I firmly believe he's going to get the absolute most out of Horford in the next couple years. I think it's very possible he has the best years of his career this year and next. If that happens and someone will still give him max money (on shorter years) he could deff opt out.

Howard just opted out of 24 Million for less than that. If players think they have a chance to get paid more, they very well could try.

First off Dwight is 30 so opting out for one last contract was the right thing to do for him.  Adding to that things were not working out for him in Houston and he just wanted out.

Als numbers have slightly decreased his last 2 yrs

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/horfoal01.html

And its possible he gets a bump playing under Stevens but I'm inclined to believe they slightly decrease over the life of his contract. He may opt out but that will be for less money per year.  So if he opts out for say 22mil a yr for 3 yrs, you dont think he could get close to that if he just waited for his contract to end ? He may have to settle for a 2yr deal but he still comes out ahead if he plays out his contract.

« Reply #338 on: July 03, 2016, 11:41:07 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

It's not wrong to have an opinion, but when your opinions are so far out there, you can't be so argumentative and have such thin skin.  I'm not going to look up your comments about Bentil, but at least you admit that you said that Jackson is already better than our NBA all star PG.  Or that you said we should trade IT and Olynyk for Poetl.  Hey, if you just laughed about it, fine, but you have been defensive and argumentative with a bunch of people here. 

Yeah, because they were attacking me as a person as opposed to just arguing with what I had posted.  I don't see eye to eye with everyone all the time, either, but I don't go around mocking them by putting something that they said in my sig and then announcing to the forum about how awesome it is ::).  That's the difference.   

And yes, I did say both of those things in regards to the trade for Poeltl and about Jackson being better than our point guards, but did you see my reasons for saying that?  I didn't just state it as a fact (and I was actually responding to a point made by crimson, so I didn't just put it out there in the first post of the thread, or anything) - I looked at Jackson's strengths as opposed to IT, Smart, and Rozier, who isn't really a point guard, although neither is Smart, really, and applied them accordingly.  I guess the way that I look at it is that Jackson has all of the best attributes of those players and then some, but again, that's just my opinion.  Here's what I said, for the record -

I think Jackson and Rozier both have a higher upside then Marcus Smart, and I see a Jackson/Rozier backcourt being more dangerous then any backcourt with Smart in it.

That's no disrespect to Smart - love the kid.  Just that I really like Jackson and Rozier - they are both explosive athletes who can handle the ball, score, pass, shoot, and get to the basket...and they are both tough kids who play with a lot of passion. 

I'm trying to imagine Jackson, Rozier and Brown coming off the bench this year as our backups at the PG / SG / SF spot.  That could the most athletic bench in the entire NBA.

Oh without a doubt, but especially Jackson, imo.  In looking at his stats and watching some youtube clips, lol ;D, I think he's already the best point guard on our roster, including IT, and I'll tell you why.  He's a much better defender, ball handler, shooter, passer, and can operate off the ball much more successfully, than Thomas, he has superior athleticism, quickness, and decision making to Smart, and he plays with fire but also under control and knows who he is as a player, unlike Rozier.  Here's his 24 point, 4 assist performance at Duke -

Tell me, because I know that I'm probably being ridiculous, here, but does anyone else see Jackson as Tim Hardaway, albeit without the signature crossover but the strength, quickness, and athleticism, not to mention the similar shooting form, meets Eric Bledsoe?  Yeah, it's probably just me, lol ;D.

Yeah, I get it - I'm probably wrong, as usual, but at least I made fun of myself in the process as opposed to just laying my opinion out there like it's an indisputable fact or something because I know everything.  Geesh.

OK, honestly I get a little defensive of the team especially on a holiday weekend when I've already had a few.  I already regret butting my nose into this.  Truce?  And no, I don't see Tim Hardaway in Jackson.  I hope Jackson can catch on as a third string PG.

« Reply #339 on: July 03, 2016, 11:45:13 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Just looked up Horford's stats and still don't understand why he's a max player.

« Reply #340 on: July 03, 2016, 11:46:23 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Just looked up Horford's stats and still don't understand why he's a max player.

Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #341 on: July 03, 2016, 11:53:30 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

Care to elaborate?

« Reply #342 on: July 03, 2016, 11:58:05 PM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36

Dude is a four-time all-star who just developed a three point game recently, which is especially remarkable considering he's a center. His stellar defense is hard to quantify with stats.

Mozgov is making eight-digits per year now, so of course Horford is a max guy.

« Reply #343 on: July 04, 2016, 12:04:13 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Care to elaborate?

Counting stats are not everything.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #344 on: July 04, 2016, 12:12:52 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

OK, honestly I get a little defensive of the team especially on a holiday weekend when I've already had a few.  I already regret butting my nose into this.  Truce?  And no, I don't see Tim Hardaway in Jackson.  I hope Jackson can catch on as a third string PG.

Lol, it's fine, man, don't worry about it :). Hopefully Jackson will surprise, although, again, I was wondering if anyone saw him as a Hardaway-Bledsoe mashup, haha, but yeah - relax.  I wasn't fighting with you to begin with, anyway, lol.