Author Topic: Al Horford agrees to 4-year, $113M deal with the Boston Celtics!!  (Read 79676 times)

Re: Al Horford agrees to 4-year, $113M deal with the Boston Celtics!!
« Reply #240 on: July 02, 2016, 10:53:53 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Without Durant, this Horford deal is garbage.  $113M for a declining 30 year old?  Ugh.  C'mon, Durant.

There's always one!  ;)

Nah...it's not like that.  It's going to take a while to get used to the new tv deal with a lot of money floating around and stuff. I was thinking in terms of the "old system."  Considered Evan turner got 70M, yea, Horford's deal is ok I guess.
That doesn't matter. Ignore the number and ask yourself whether Horford would have been worth a max contract under the old cap. It's the same thing.

You can't consider a move like this in isolation.  On those terms, 90% of the signings so far make no sense at all.  You have to consider the bigger picture.

1.  Even if he is declining, Horford is still going to be better than any big currently on our roster for the next two years.

2.  There was maybe one other free agent big we could have signed instead (Howard) and he has his own set of issues.

3.  Whatever chance we have at signing Durant, getting Horford just improved it.

4.  It also makes us more appealing for any unhappy star out there who wants off his current team.  That guy is much more likely to sign an extension and make trading for him worthwhile.

5.  It changes the perception in the media and around the league about Boston as a destination.

6. Outside of Durant, there's no other FA we could sign this offseason that has any chance of seriously improving the team.

I really don't think there's much downside to getting Horford at this price.  Other things still have to happen to make us a real contender and they may not happen, but I think this is like one of those crisis situations where it is better to do something, even if it's a mistake, than do nothing.

Mike

« Reply #241 on: July 02, 2016, 10:54:31 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Without Durant, this Horford deal is garbage.  $113M for a declining 30 year old?  Ugh.  C'mon, Durant.

There's always one!  ;)

Nah...it's not like that.  It's going to take a while to get used to the new tv deal with a lot of money floating around and stuff. I was thinking in terms of the "old system."  Considered Evan turner got 70M, yea, Horford's deal is ok I guess.
That doesn't matter. Ignore the number and ask yourself whether Horford would have been worth a max contract under the old cap. It's the same thing.

Under old cap, no.  He's not worth a max in my opinion.
So you should undoubtedly be aware that both under the new and the old cap, max contracts are defined as a percentage of max team salary, right? If he wasn't worth max under the old cap, he probably isn't worth max under the new one, too.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #242 on: July 02, 2016, 11:13:54 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Yessssss!!!!😃😃😃
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #243 on: July 02, 2016, 11:15:03 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Horford gets a player option after year 3.

In my opinion this makes the deal even better. Assuming he opts out this adds more flexibility long term and could make the contract easier to move if need be.

So before year 4 you mean? I also think this makes it better. Of course a team option would be better, but at least we're getting his prime years of this deal.

He's already 30 and has had a number of shoulder and pectoral related injuries in recent years, iirc, so I wouldn't say that we're getting anywhere near a guy in his prime.

« Reply #244 on: July 02, 2016, 11:22:10 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

In my opinion this makes the deal even better. Assuming he opts out this adds more flexibility long term and could make the contract easier to move if need be.

So before year 4 you mean? I also think this makes it better. Of course a team option would be better, but at least we're getting his prime years of this deal.

He's already 30 and has had a number of shoulder and pectoral related injuries in recent years, iirc, so I wouldn't say that we're getting anywhere near a guy in his prime.

It's on the backside of his prime, but it's definitely still his prime.  You look at his last season advanced stats, and they're all pretty much at or above his career averages, except for rebounding, which, as has been pointed out numerous times, declined with the arrival of a coach that de-emphasized rebounding and the arrival of another plus rebounder.  There were only so many rebounds to go around.

Adding that 3-point shot last year will very much help his game age, and also help the Celtics with what they try to do on offense.

« Reply #245 on: July 02, 2016, 11:47:12 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2016/07/02/horford-signs-celtics-max-deal/tW6On2dfcQ8sgmE7oL0zdO/story.html

On Saturday evening, a deep Celtics contingent that even included Patriots quarterback Tom Brady wrapped up a recruiting meeting in New York with the prize of this free agent class, Kevin Durant.

The Celtics were pleased with the gathering, and as they boarded a private jet to fly back to Boston they were also thinking about forward Al Horford, their other prime target.

When Boston met with Horford for two hours on Friday, the four-time All-Star was well-prepared and had peppered the team’s brass with questions. The Celtics, meanwhile, delivered a lengthy presentation.

“It covered every aspect of life on and off the court in Boston and our team’s future,” said a team source. “We just made it clear from the beginning that there was a real connection.”

Still, the Celtics were unsure where they stood with Horford, particularly as the Atlanta Hawks — the team with which Horford had spent all nine years of his career — made a late push to re-sign him.

But as the jet prepared to take off, a phone rang and delivered the news the Celtics, their fans, and their city have been waiting for: Al Horford had accepted Boston’s four-year, $113 million maximum-salary contract offer. The pilot was asked to pull to the side of the runway, a source said, and when the call ended, there was a celebration.

After months of waiting and hoping and working, the Celtics had finally struck.

“We’re thinking big, and this is a big move,” the team source said. “This will set us up for the future in a better place.”

At 7:15 p.m., Horford posted on his Twitter account: “Celtic pride!!!!!!” He also changed his profile picture to the Celtics’ logo. He cannot officially sign with Boston until the league-wide moratorium ends on July 7.

Horford’s father, Tito, said in a telephone interview Saturday night that his son had narrowed his choices down to the Hawks and the Celtics. As the family discussed the options, the conversation often returned to the uncommon passion of Boston’s fans.

In Atlanta, support at home games was sometimes tepid, despite the fact that the Hawks had gone 108-56 over the last two years.

“There wasn’t as much motivation for him when he saw all the empty seats when they were winning,” Tito Horford said. “He said to me, ‘Dad, when we were playing Boston, they were down 15 points and they were cheering their team like they were winning the game. They’re so into the game.’ This is special for us, especially for him.”

Tito Horford, a center who played for the Bucks from 1988-90, tried out for the Celtics in 1995. He said he was always impressed by the franchise’s rich tradition and unending support.

“Ever since Boston, Danny Ainge and the whole organization began to show interest in him, that opened his eyes,” Tito Horford said. “He always had a good feel about Boston.”

Horford’s decision could hold even more significance, too, as it comes on the heels of the Celtics’ meeting with Durant. With Horford and fellow All-Star Isaiah Thomas, Boston can now pitch its own version of a “Big Three.”

Even if Durant ultimately decides to sign a two-year deal with the Thunder in which the second year is a player option — long considered his most likely path — the Horford signing and Saturday’s meeting could send an important message for the future.

Tito Horford said Durant would certainly be a “big fish.” But he said his son did not mention the possibility of Durant joining him in Boston and stressed that it was not the reason he chose the Celtics.

“He just said ‘Right now, I’m excited,’ ” Tito Horford said. “He said, ‘I’m going to play for the Celtics, Dad. I don’t know who else they might get, but I’m here, and I’m hoping for the best.’ ”

Regardless of whether Boston ultimately signs Durant, the Celtics improved drastically on Saturday night.

The deal with the 6-foot-10 forward is perhaps the biggest free agent coup in the history of this franchise. Horford, 30, averaged 15.2 points and 7.3 rebounds this season. He is a strong defender who also made 34.4 percent of his 3-point attempts.

“I think that Al has signaled his intentions to be a Celtic is really a historic step for this franchise,” a team source said. “To take a 48-win team with a young core and a great coach, and you add a four-time All-Star as a max free agent, and you can just see the direction we’re going in.”

On Friday the Hawks agreed to a three-year contract with former Rockets center Dwight Howard. The move appeared to be a signal that Horford’s time in Atlanta may have reached its end.

But on Saturday morning multiple reports suggested that the Wizards had joined the Celtics as finalists in the Horford sweepstakes. Then later on Saturday night, there was believed to be growing momentum that the Hawks had reemerged as favorites to re-sign their star.

If Horford had spurned the Celtics’ overtures it would have been a tough blow, and the missed opportunity would have had a ripple effect that left the team scrambling, as most of the top free agents found new homes over the past few days.

Instead, Boston found a new centerpiece who should help make it one of the elite teams in the Eastern Conference.

“I think it’s a great coaching staff and they have good players, and the tradition when you play for the Celtics, the Lakers, these are traditions,” Tito Horford said. “People are always going to support the Boston Celtics.”

Now, Boston’s entire focus turns toward Durant. The Celtics played a surprising card on Saturday by bringing Brady to their meeting with the 2014 NBA MVP. He was joined by Ainge, coach Brad Stevens, team co-owners Wyc Grousbeck and Steve Pagliuca, and Celtics players Thomas, Jae Crowder, Marcus Smart, and Kelly Olynyk.

A team source declined to go into detail about Brady’s role in the meeting, saying simply: “Tom did a very good job today.”

It may still be unlikely that Durant will choose Boston, but Horford’s presence can only help. If the Celtics can complete the impossible and add both Durant and Horford to their already talented core, they would immediately become NBA championship contenders.

« Reply #246 on: July 02, 2016, 11:53:16 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

It's on the backside of his prime, but it's definitely still his prime.  You look at his last season advanced stats, and they're all pretty much at or above his career averages, except for rebounding, which, as has been pointed out numerous times, declined with the arrival of a coach that de-emphasized rebounding and the arrival of another plus rebounder.  There were only so many rebounds to go around.

Adding that 3-point shot last year will very much help his game age, and also help the Celtics with what they try to do on offense.

Also, iirc, his pectoral issues were due to him going too hard in the gym, right? He's obviously toned down on that a bit since then.

« Reply #247 on: July 02, 2016, 11:54:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Hawks' final offer was allegedly $6 million short of a full 5 year max contract. $1.2 million per year. Why would a team nickel and dime like that? That's barely enough money to sign a second rounder.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #248 on: July 03, 2016, 12:00:16 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
The Hawks' final offer was allegedly $6 million short of a full 5 year max contract. $1.2 million per year. Why would a team nickel and dime like that? That's barely enough money to sign a second rounder.
Either way, he basically turned down $23 mil more to come to Boston.

« Reply #249 on: July 03, 2016, 12:00:58 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think they were six million short of signing him, not 6 mm below the five year max.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #250 on: July 03, 2016, 12:02:30 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2016/07/02/horford-signs-celtics-max-deal/tW6On2dfcQ8sgmE7oL0zdO/story.html

On Saturday evening, a deep Celtics contingent that even included Patriots quarterback Tom Brady wrapped up a recruiting meeting in New York with the prize of this free agent class, Kevin Durant.

The Celtics were pleased with the gathering, and as they boarded a private jet to fly back to Boston they were also thinking about forward Al Horford, their other prime target.

When Boston met with Horford for two hours on Friday, the four-time All-Star was well-prepared and had peppered the team’s brass with questions. The Celtics, meanwhile, delivered a lengthy presentation.

“It covered every aspect of life on and off the court in Boston and our team’s future,” said a team source. “We just made it clear from the beginning that there was a real connection.”

Still, the Celtics were unsure where they stood with Horford, particularly as the Atlanta Hawks — the team with which Horford had spent all nine years of his career — made a late push to re-sign him.

But as the jet prepared to take off, a phone rang and delivered the news the Celtics, their fans, and their city have been waiting for: Al Horford had accepted Boston’s four-year, $113 million maximum-salary contract offer. The pilot was asked to pull to the side of the runway, a source said, and when the call ended, there was a celebration.

After months of waiting and hoping and working, the Celtics had finally struck.

“We’re thinking big, and this is a big move,” the team source said. “This will set us up for the future in a better place.”

At 7:15 p.m., Horford posted on his Twitter account: “Celtic pride!!!!!!” He also changed his profile picture to the Celtics’ logo. He cannot officially sign with Boston until the league-wide moratorium ends on July 7.

Horford’s father, Tito, said in a telephone interview Saturday night that his son had narrowed his choices down to the Hawks and the Celtics. As the family discussed the options, the conversation often returned to the uncommon passion of Boston’s fans.

In Atlanta, support at home games was sometimes tepid, despite the fact that the Hawks had gone 108-56 over the last two years.

“There wasn’t as much motivation for him when he saw all the empty seats when they were winning,” Tito Horford said. “He said to me, ‘Dad, when we were playing Boston, they were down 15 points and they were cheering their team like they were winning the game. They’re so into the game.’ This is special for us, especially for him.”

Tito Horford, a center who played for the Bucks from 1988-90, tried out for the Celtics in 1995. He said he was always impressed by the franchise’s rich tradition and unending support.

“Ever since Boston, Danny Ainge and the whole organization began to show interest in him, that opened his eyes,” Tito Horford said. “He always had a good feel about Boston.”

Horford’s decision could hold even more significance, too, as it comes on the heels of the Celtics’ meeting with Durant. With Horford and fellow All-Star Isaiah Thomas, Boston can now pitch its own version of a “Big Three.”

Even if Durant ultimately decides to sign a two-year deal with the Thunder in which the second year is a player option — long considered his most likely path — the Horford signing and Saturday’s meeting could send an important message for the future.

Tito Horford said Durant would certainly be a “big fish.” But he said his son did not mention the possibility of Durant joining him in Boston and stressed that it was not the reason he chose the Celtics.

“He just said ‘Right now, I’m excited,’ ” Tito Horford said. “He said, ‘I’m going to play for the Celtics, Dad. I don’t know who else they might get, but I’m here, and I’m hoping for the best.’ ”

Regardless of whether Boston ultimately signs Durant, the Celtics improved drastically on Saturday night.

The deal with the 6-foot-10 forward is perhaps the biggest free agent coup in the history of this franchise. Horford, 30, averaged 15.2 points and 7.3 rebounds this season. He is a strong defender who also made 34.4 percent of his 3-point attempts.

“I think that Al has signaled his intentions to be a Celtic is really a historic step for this franchise,” a team source said. “To take a 48-win team with a young core and a great coach, and you add a four-time All-Star as a max free agent, and you can just see the direction we’re going in.”

On Friday the Hawks agreed to a three-year contract with former Rockets center Dwight Howard. The move appeared to be a signal that Horford’s time in Atlanta may have reached its end.

But on Saturday morning multiple reports suggested that the Wizards had joined the Celtics as finalists in the Horford sweepstakes. Then later on Saturday night, there was believed to be growing momentum that the Hawks had reemerged as favorites to re-sign their star.

If Horford had spurned the Celtics’ overtures it would have been a tough blow, and the missed opportunity would have had a ripple effect that left the team scrambling, as most of the top free agents found new homes over the past few days.

Instead, Boston found a new centerpiece who should help make it one of the elite teams in the Eastern Conference.

“I think it’s a great coaching staff and they have good players, and the tradition when you play for the Celtics, the Lakers, these are traditions,” Tito Horford said. “People are always going to support the Boston Celtics.”

Now, Boston’s entire focus turns toward Durant. The Celtics played a surprising card on Saturday by bringing Brady to their meeting with the 2014 NBA MVP. He was joined by Ainge, coach Brad Stevens, team co-owners Wyc Grousbeck and Steve Pagliuca, and Celtics players Thomas, Jae Crowder, Marcus Smart, and Kelly Olynyk.

A team source declined to go into detail about Brady’s role in the meeting, saying simply: “Tom did a very good job today.”

It may still be unlikely that Durant will choose Boston, but Horford’s presence can only help. If the Celtics can complete the impossible and add both Durant and Horford to their already talented core, they would immediately become NBA championship contenders.

First of all- TP for the link

2nd- wait, so he picked Boston because us, the fans? How AWESOME is that?😂 (Sorry for the caps, im ecstatic right now)
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #251 on: July 03, 2016, 12:03:20 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Either way, he basically turned down $23 mil more to come to Boston.

this is assuming he never plays another year after 4 years.  He will still get that money somehow.  At 34 the way the cap is rising he can maybe even do better than that.  Mozgov just got a ridiculous amount.  Are you telling me Horford is not going to be better than that at 34?  We may even sign him to an extension ourselves before that.  Having Horford locked up until he's 36 or so isn't out of the question. We just couldn't offer him more than 4 years right now.

I don't think the Celtics are stingy that way.  They extended Pierce and KG at the end of their deals even though they were aging.   

If it fits into the plan without hurting our chances the Celtics will extend him. They are loyal like that. They just aren't going to do anything stupid  or that they simply can't do.

« Reply #252 on: July 03, 2016, 12:15:06 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
LOL!

I took my oldest son to the gym earlier this evening and we discussed the possibility (then) of him joining BOS. I told him that it would be a long shot but we both agreed that him alone would make us better - not even talking about Durantula, yet...

I told him that I was taking a nap and NOT to wake me up with ANY news about Horford (good or bad).....of course he disobeyed me but I am THANKFUL ;D.......

GREAT NEWS!!

LET"S DO IT, C'S!!!!

« Reply #253 on: July 03, 2016, 12:19:37 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

All the while also sabotaging their chances to keep Millsap beyond this season. They might as well trade him right now and be done with it.

« Reply #254 on: July 03, 2016, 12:21:16 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Horford is exciting and Durant is even more so. But the fact that Ainge landed Horford for only slightly less insane money than a bunch of glorified role players got should truly be lauded.