Author Topic: Al Horford agrees to 4-year, $113M deal with the Boston Celtics!!  (Read 80175 times)

Re: Al Horford agrees to 4-year, $113M deal with the Boston Celtics!!
« Reply #225 on: July 02, 2016, 10:00:34 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
even if Durant doesnt come here this year, just signing Horford is a big plus that changes our perception around the league. now we are a team with two all-stars. gone is the stigma that "players dont want to come to boston"

now, if we get durant then all bets are off.

« Reply #226 on: July 02, 2016, 10:02:04 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Without Durant, this Horford deal is garbage.  $113M for a declining 30 year old?  Ugh.  C'mon, Durant.

There's always one!  ;)

Nah...it's not like that.  It's going to take a while to get used to the new tv deal with a lot of money floating around and stuff.  I was thinking in terms of the "old system."  Considered Evan turner got 70M, yea, Horford's deal is ok I guess.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #227 on: July 02, 2016, 10:18:17 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Idk if it's been reported, but he has a player option after year 3

http://espn.go.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0541079210106558738-4
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #228 on: July 02, 2016, 10:21:47 PM »

Offline mloyko

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 18
Horford gets a player option after year 3.

In my opinion this makes the deal even better. Assuming he opts out this adds more flexibility long term and could make the contract easier to move if need be.

« Reply #229 on: July 02, 2016, 10:21:47 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

I wish that it was a team option, instead :-\.

« Reply #230 on: July 02, 2016, 10:23:55 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I mentioned in an earlier thread that we'd have to give him all the bells and whistles, so the option isn't much of a surprise. What matters is that we got him.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #231 on: July 02, 2016, 10:27:15 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
“There wasn’t as much motivation for him when he saw all the empty seats when they were winning,” Tito Horford said. “He said to me, ‘Dad, when we were playing Boston, they were down 15 points and they were cheering their team like they were winning the game. They’re so into the game.’ This is special for us, especially for him.”

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2016/07/02/horford-signs-celtics-max-deal/tW6On2dfcQ8sgmE7oL0zdO/story.html

Gotta love C's fans!!!!

« Reply #232 on: July 02, 2016, 10:27:23 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Horford gets a player option after year 3.

In my opinion this makes the deal even better. Assuming he opts out this adds more flexibility long term and could make the contract easier to move if need be.

So before year 4 you mean? I also think this makes it better. Of course a team option would be better, but at least we're getting his prime years of this deal.

« Reply #233 on: July 02, 2016, 10:28:01 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Without Durant, this Horford deal is garbage.  $113M for a declining 30 year old?  Ugh.  C'mon, Durant.

There's always one!  ;)

Nah...it's not like that.  It's going to take a while to get used to the new tv deal with a lot of money floating around and stuff. I was thinking in terms of the "old system."  Considered Evan turner got 70M, yea, Horford's deal is ok I guess.
That doesn't matter. Ignore the number and ask yourself whether Horford would have been worth a max contract under the old cap. It's the same thing.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #234 on: July 02, 2016, 10:30:26 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I'm assuming he also has a 15% trade kicker.  Undoubtedly the Celtics gave him the most the CBA would allow for every feature.  You have to do that to pry a max player away from a team with Bird rights.

« Reply #235 on: July 02, 2016, 10:31:39 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

There's always one!  ;)

Nah...it's not like that.  It's going to take a while to get used to the new tv deal with a lot of money floating around and stuff. I was thinking in terms of the "old system."  Considered Evan turner got 70M, yea, Horford's deal is ok I guess.
That doesn't matter. Ignore the number and ask yourself whether Horford would have been worth a max contract under the old cap. It's the same thing.

How about, would Horford be worth a max contract under the old cap if you knew the cap was going to increase about 20% the following year?

« Reply #236 on: July 02, 2016, 10:35:03 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Keep the line moving Whose next ?

« Reply #237 on: July 02, 2016, 10:39:42 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
“There wasn’t as much motivation for him when he saw all the empty seats when they were winning,” Tito Horford said. “He said to me, ‘Dad, when we were playing Boston, they were down 15 points and they were cheering their team like they were winning the game. They’re so into the game.’ This is special for us, especially for him.”

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2016/07/02/horford-signs-celtics-max-deal/tW6On2dfcQ8sgmE7oL0zdO/story.html

Gotta love C's fans!!!!

I'm sure a certain Midwestern superstar would love to hear that, especially after having all of his experience in one of the best atmospheres in OKC.

« Reply #238 on: July 02, 2016, 10:47:15 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

There's always one!  ;)

Under old cap, no.  He's not worth a max in my opinion.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #239 on: July 02, 2016, 10:52:55 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

There's always one!  ;)

Under old cap, no.  He's not worth a max in my opinion.

Salary cap is also projected to increase by another 14 million next year so this year's MAX contracts will be easier to swallow.