Author Topic: Al Horford agrees to 4-year, $113M deal with the Boston Celtics!!  (Read 80288 times)

Re: Al Horford agrees to 4-year, $113M deal with the Boston Celtics!!
« Reply #210 on: July 02, 2016, 09:28:40 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Wow.  I don't like the move, but at least we've finally signed a free agent of quality, and it's about bloody time, too, haha.  So, does anyone happen to have any good crow (Hawk) recipes, lol? ;D

« Reply #211 on: July 02, 2016, 09:28:50 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Now that I've had a little while to process this....

So this if the end of Jared Sullinger, right?
I'm curious about what happens if he signs his QO and then nobody else signs him for more. And what if the same thing happened to Ty Zeller?

« Reply #212 on: July 02, 2016, 09:31:05 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Without Durant, this Horford deal is garbage.  $113M for a declining 30 year old?  Ugh.  C'mon, Durant.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #213 on: July 02, 2016, 09:31:35 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I'm curious about what happens if he signs his QO and then nobody else signs him for more. And what if the same thing happened to Ty Zeller?
Better question to ask at this point is what the process is for rescinding QOs.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #214 on: July 02, 2016, 09:31:41 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
Without Durant, this Horford deal is garbage.  $113M for a declining 30 year old?  Ugh.  C'mon, Durant.

There's always one!  ;)

« Reply #215 on: July 02, 2016, 09:31:53 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I must be the only one who is not all that excited about signing an injury-prone, aging star player with declining skills who tends to be a non-factor in big games to a 4-year max contract?

No, you are not.  The risks of the contract are quite clear.  He may be hurt for half of it and he may simply decline in performance.

Having said that...all of the "risk" is tied up in Wyc's money and cap space.  As we have learned and it should be clear by now: cap space is meaningless if you cannot use it.

This was not a trade for Al Horford, giving up Smart, Olynyk and a future 1st.  WE KEEP ALL OF THOSE GUYS.  The players we likely see go (assuming now KD) were also likely to go regardless (Turner, Evan).

This was a 'no-brainer,' as Zach Lowe said on twitter.

Good analysis. He's definitely worth the risk, because otherwise it would just be another year of us not utilizing cap space in any meaningful way.
I would have rather spent $70-ish million on Howard for 3 years, but that's just me, and there's no telling whether he wanted to come. I like Horford, but feel that even if our roster stays the way it is, he might be the third best player on the Celtics next season.

I think your analysis there is fair to be honest.

Horford is definitely not better then Isaiah Thomas.  Is he better then Crowder?  Honestly I would probably say yes, but if so it's not by much.  Crowder was putting up similar scoring numbers last year to what Horford was, and Crowder is a FAR better defensive player.  I only give the edge to Horford because of intangibles (BBIQ and leadership) but in terms of pure production I don't think he's any better then Crowder.

Hell you can even argue that Avery Bradley is a better player on both ends of the court -  but again lacks Horford's intangibles. 

In terms of outright production Horford, Crowder and Bradley are all pretty much in the same realm.  Isaiah is one or two large steps above those guys. 

Horford is a nice addition, but he's not going to be enough on his own to propel this team to legit contender status.  We are going to need to need a significant upgrade at another position to really propel us to another level as a team. 

There are plenty of options:
1) Signing Durant (Big upgrade at SF/PF)
2) Trading for Butler (big upgrade at SG/SF)
3) Trading for Noel and playing Horford at PF (big upgrade at center)
4) Trading for Monroe and playing Horford at PF (big upgrade at center)
5) Trading for Middleton (significant upgrade at SG / SF)

Not sure what the plan is, but we're going to need another significant move of that type of magnitude to really propel us into the "contender" discussion.  Horford isn't the endgame, but he's a big step in the right direction. 

« Reply #216 on: July 02, 2016, 09:32:44 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

It probably should be, but think how good peak Sully could be paired with Horford.  He would really cover up any drop off in Horford's defense and rebounding.

Mike

« Reply #217 on: July 02, 2016, 09:34:09 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Not sure what the plan is, but we're going to need another significant move of that type of magnitude to really propel us into the "contender" discussion.  Horford isn't the endgame, but he's a big step in the right direction.
I'm sure the plan is to go all out for Durant, and if it doesn't work, keep some combination of Jerebko/Amir/Sullinger/Zeller for a year and then try again for whoever is available. It's not the end of the world, honestly. Except the narrative about our team may be different next summer depending on whether last season's success is sustainable or not.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #218 on: July 02, 2016, 09:35:22 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Ainge would only rescind the offers if Durant or Butler is coming and he needs roster space for ring-chasing vets.

Mike

« Reply #219 on: July 02, 2016, 09:36:51 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I'm sure the plan is to go all out for Durant, and if it doesn't work, keep some combination of Jerebko/Amir/Sullinger/Zeller for a year and then try again for whoever is available. It's not the end of the world, honestly. Except the narrative about our team may be different next summer depending on whether last season's success is sustainable or not.

If we strikeout on Durant why not trade everything we have besides IT and Horford for Cousins?

« Reply #220 on: July 02, 2016, 09:37:37 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

If we strikeout on Durant why not trade everything we have besides IT and Horford for Cousins?
Because it takes two to tango, and Horford and Cousins are redundant.

« Reply #221 on: July 02, 2016, 09:40:46 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Ironically enough, now that we have Horford (signed, sealed and delivered!) there could be worse scenarios then re-signing Sully...

This is of course, assuming the deal is fair and that we cannot get somebody better. 

We COULD put Sully at the center spot and utilise his rebounding and inside game.  With Horford out there, there would be no need for Sully to EVER chuck up a three point attempt...and if we ban Sully from taking threes, there's a glimmer of hope that he could return to being the efficient inside scorer he was in his rookie year. 

Even if we do manage to pick up another big man, Sully makes for a fantastic backup PF, as his conditioning issues are far less of an impact when he's playing limited minutes off the bench - he tends to be more effective that way. 

I dislike Sully as much as the next guy, but letting him walk away entirely MIGHT not be the best move at this point in time...I think having him there as a backup option (in case we can't get someone better) isn't a bad idea.

This all assumes that Sully doesn't get rediculous Mozgov-like offers...at that price forget it.

« Reply #222 on: July 02, 2016, 09:42:49 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365

considering evan turner got 75million and what other players are getting its not a bad deal. It is much akin IMO to danny getting ray allen...just him isnt going to put us over the top, but its another piece. a high profile free agent (hopefully) durant can look at us and see that maybe they are the piece that puts us into contendor status

« Reply #223 on: July 02, 2016, 09:43:18 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523

It probably should be, but think how good peak Sully could be paired with Horford.  He would really cover up any drop off in Horford's defense and rebounding.

Mike

I'm confused at why we wouldn't make the qualifying offers.  Wouldn't this land 2 underpaid players in the C's laps?    Yes, they take roster spots... but isn't there plenty of time to deal these guys?  Bargain role players with expiring salaries -- decent throw-ins to larger deals?  Same argument to keep JJ and AJ -- though more $$.

« Reply #224 on: July 02, 2016, 09:45:19 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Because it takes two to tango, and Horford and Cousins are redundant.

How are Horford and Cousins redundant?

Horford is a jack-of-all trades guy who cannot carry an offence, rebounds at a meciocre rate, and likes to play on the perimeter.

Cousins is an offensive superstar who would immediately become our #1 scoring option, dominates in the post, and is one of the best rebounders in the NBA.

Having Horford on the perimieter and Cousins in the paint makes perfect sense.  Plus both guys are excellent passing bigs, and both have capable jump shots out to the three point line - both would be a perfect fit for Brad's offensive system.