Author Topic: 2016 Summer League Thread  (Read 48504 times)

Re: 2016 Summer League Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2016, 12:25:02 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Can we buy Summer League pass?

DirecTv cancelled my NBATV after the season ended smh
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2016, 12:25:26 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I looked over the rosters, and there are only 4 big names playing in the Orlando league
Henry Ellenson
Stanley Johnson
Justise Winslow
Cameron Payne
and maybe Brice Johnson

Orlando Summer League - where you get one whole day to sign free agents before focusing on players you already have.

It's actually a pretty decent league, too - has to be better than going to Utah, but I can understand why it's not that popular.
Tell me more about that.  I don't like the Orlando venue or camera view as Chief said.  Utah is in a regular arena with general admission for the public, I believe.

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2016, 12:39:06 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I looked over the rosters, and there are only 4 big names playing in the Orlando league
Henry Ellenson
Stanley Johnson
Justise Winslow
Cameron Payne
and maybe Brice Johnson

Orlando Summer League - where you get one whole day to sign free agents before focusing on players you already have.

It's actually a pretty decent league, too - has to be better than going to Utah, but I can understand why it's not that popular.
I think the Olympics are part to blame for the diminished rosters. Orlando last year was a great watch.

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2016, 12:46:14 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Henry Ellenson
Stanley Johnson
Justise Winslow
Cameron Payne
and maybe Brice Johnson

Tell me more about that.  I don't like the Orlando venue or camera view as Chief said.  Utah is in a regular arena with general admission for the public, I believe.

Oh, I get that the venue (lack of fans) and camera aren't ideal - I was more speaking in terms of the actual teams preferring it. You get a five game schedule instead of just three like Utah/Vegas - teams may prefer this since they can essentially sign up for one summer league and get about as much action as they would in Utah/Vegas combined.

Also, Orlando is a premier vacation destination - the same can't be said for Utah. I am really surprised they don't try a bit harder to bring it Disney's Wide World of Sports or some place similar - Orlando usually takes advantage of every opportunity to bring maximum excitement in these types of events.

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2016, 01:19:50 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I've been so engrossed with free-agency, that I'm not paying attention to this during this year so far... first time in about a decade it seems to me.

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2016, 01:36:08 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I probably won't watch much Summer League outside of Celtics games this year, so updates about other team's players would be great from anyone following closely!

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2016, 11:40:25 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
Time to bump this thread and look ahead to roster spots post-SL.  Let's look at our cache of young players:

Ben Bentil
Jaylen Brown
R.J. Hunter
Demetrius Jackson
Jordan Mickey
Abdel Nader
Terry Rozier
Guerschon Yabusele
James Young
Ante Zizic
Marcus Thornton and other walk-ons that are long-shot to make the roster.

This is James Young's last chance IMO, and I'm not optimistic.  RJ Hunter should also be feeling the heat.  I don't think Nader makes the team.

I want to see a big jump from Mickey, heard he is adding a 3-point shot.

Most excited to see Brown of course, but also Bentil and Jackson.  All 3 have nice upside.

It seems every year we get excited about our rookies and then the optimism fades in a year or two after newer rookies arrive.  I admit this year is no different for me.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 02:30:19 PM by Surferdad »

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2016, 11:48:20 AM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
Anyone know for sure why Zizic isn't playing. I'd heard he was playing for the Croatian National Team in Olympic qualifying, but that doesn't seem to be true:

http://www.eurobasket.com/Croatia/news/451460/National-team-set-for-Olympic-Qualifying-Tournament

Really wanted to see how he did against pseudo-NBA competition.

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2016, 11:56:20 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Time to bump this thread and look ahead to roster spots post-SL.  Let's look at our cache of young players:

Ben Bentil
Jaylen Brown
R.J. Hunter
Demetrius Jackson
Jordan Mickey
Abdel Nader
Terry Rozier
Guerschon Yabusele
James Young
Ante Zizic
Marcus Thornton and other walk-ons that are long-shot to make the roster.

This is James Young's last chance IMO, and I'm not optimistic.  RJ Hunter should also be feeling the heat.  I don't think Nader makes the team.

I want to see a big jump from Mickey, heard he is adding a 3-point shot.

Yabusele is on roster.

Most excited to see Brown of course, but also Bentil and Jackson.  All 3 have nice upside.

It seems every year we get excited about our rookies and then the optimism fades in a year or two after newer rookies arrive.  I admit this year is no different for me.

Yabusele is on roster.

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2016, 12:09:26 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Really excited to see Jaylen Brown play. I'm prepared for disappointment though. I doubt he's ready, despite having an NBA-ready body.

- LilRip

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2016, 07:10:05 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Diamond Stone had 10 fouls in 17 minutes of action.
Brice Johnson turned a new leaf today.

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2016, 01:16:49 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
Diamond Stone had 10 fouls in 17 minutes of action.
Brice Johnson turned a new leaf today.
Watching the replay now on NBA TV.  Brice looks like a pro.

Greg Stiemsma sighting.

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2016, 01:34:11 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Since Zizic's European team isn't allowing him to play, is that an indication that he will be stashed this year?

Do you have a link for that? I just assumed he was told that he would not see any minutes this year, and to go wait back in the Adriatic League (where he is still under contract)...

Euro teams are usually very reluctant to get in the way of a guy wanting to part ways so they can have a shot at the NBA.

Saric may well come across this year, despite being subject to the rookie scale, and in that event, Philly would presumably have to actually pay some money for the buyout of his Euro deal with Efes.. we could do the same with Zizic, I presume
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 01:40:40 AM by trickybilly »
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2016, 01:46:34 AM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Since Zizic's European team isn't allowing him to play, is that an indication that he will be stashed this year?

Do you have a link for that? I just assumed he was told that he would not see any minutes this year, and to go wait back in the Adriatic League (where he is still under contract)...

Euro teams are usually very reluctant to get in the way of a guy wanting to part ways so they can have a shot at the NBA.

Saric may well come across this year, despite being subject to the rookie scale, and in that event, Philly would presumably have to actually pay some money for the buyout of his Euro deal with Efes.. we could do the same with Zizic, I presume

Heard that he is withdrawn from the Summer league and National team because he is injured his ankle last season. The good thing? He played whole playoffs with that injury.

This is from my friend who follows Adriatic league and National team of Croatia.

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2016, 02:31:39 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
Yabusele is on roster.
Fixed it, thx.