Author Topic: Unguaranteed: We've reached Peak Roster Uncertainty  (Read 1729 times)

Unguaranteed: We've reached Peak Roster Uncertainty
« on: July 02, 2016, 01:44:13 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
We* know we're generally in a very good position, we know we're loaded with assets, we know we're heading in a very good direction, under very good management...but have the details of which players leading us in which roles at which positions ever been more uncertain? All we know is Isaiah will (probably, almost certainly) start for us at PG, but whether he'll be our best player or our 3rd/4th best player is up in the air. The next best player (or 4th/5th/6th best) may be our starting SF, or our starting PF, or our backup SF/PF...Crowder, or Crowder, or Crowder. Bradley just got recognized as an all-league defender, yet he's also the player most often imagined as trade bait. Smart could be crap, solid wood, or gold. Brown could be a sometimes-dazzling part-time reserve or a ROY candidate. Sully is a free agent, but restricted. Amir and Jonas were so Unguaranteed and Uncertain that everyone needs an extra week to figure out their place here. Kelly could be a key reserve, or our starting PF, or our starting C, or trade bait. And then we have literally eight (no, wait, nine if you count #58) other prospects of entirely indeterminate talents and futures, including two possible draft-and-stashes who aren't even sure which continent they'll be playing on. The only player we definitely know we have certainty about is Turner...funny considering how much of an uncertain enigma he's been his whole career. This time tomorrow? We could have Kevin Durant...or we could have Kris Humphries. Or any number of dozens of possible players in between. We could be a bottom bracket 1st round exit again, or we could be favorites to win the Finals. Nervewracking, awesome time (about 2am EST, 6/2/2016) to be a Celtics fan.

*Not including cynics, grumps, and other pessimists who I'll conveniently pretend don't exist lol.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

Re: Unguaranteed: We've reached Peak Roster Uncertainty
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 01:51:45 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
6/2/2016???? you have really hit pick uncertainty.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 02:46:44 AM by Ogaju »

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 02:44:11 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The core of the team right now is Thomas and Crowder. 

Smart, rozier, Mickey, brown -- that's the youth movement. 

AB, Amir, Jerebko -- experienced role players that might play important roles or get traded because their contracts are a bargain.

Maybe the team adds a max contract talent in the next week.  Maybe they settle for adding a veteran role player or two.

For now, it looks like a solid middle of the road team tailor made for a real, honest to goodness centerpiece to roll in and take the spotlight.  We will see if that happens this summer, or if it's another year of waiting.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 09:18:16 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
If they add Horford (and I'm hoping they do), here's what the roster would look like to me:

Horford Zeller Zizic
KO JJ Mickey
Crowder Brown
Bradley Smart Hunter
IT Rozier DJackson

That's 14.  Bentil and Young fight it out for 15.  Young's a better roster fit, but I think he's gone.

I go with Zeller over Amir, but it's a tough call.  Peak healthy Amir is better, but Zeller is younger and healthier.  Obviously that depends on signing him to something reasonable, like 3 years/ 8m.  I'm over it with Sully.

Lots of hard decisions, which is a good thing.  I think this team is fighting with Indy, Charlotte and Miami again for the 3-6 slots.  Good news is it's still a young team with lots of upside.

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 09:35:56 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Things have not worked out in our favor the way we hoped months ago. Now everyone seems to be doubling down and saying this team is FA away from the Finals...

By the end of this weekend we will know for sure and Ainge better put his big boy pants on cuz he has a used car lot to sell for JULY 4th!

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 12:02:57 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
If they add Horford (and I'm hoping they do), here's what the roster would look like to me:

Horford Zeller Zizic
KO JJ Mickey
Crowder Brown
Bradley Smart Hunter
IT Rozier DJackson

Good line up..  I love JJ but man if Mickey can EARN that back up role that would be tremendous for this team. I really think we have something in him.

And Bentil could be a really tough out.. He can shoot it but also gives you length..  If Hunter takes the next step and Bentil is what I think he is, Young would be in real trouble even if he has improved.

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 12:14:24 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Horford Zeller Zizic
KO JJ Mickey
Crowder Brown
Bradley Smart Hunter
IT Rozier DJackson

That's 14.  Bentil and Young fight it out for 15.  Young's a better roster fit, but I think he's gone.

I go with Zeller over Amir, but it's a tough call.  Peak healthy Amir is better, but Zeller is younger and healthier.  Obviously that depends on signing him to something reasonable, like 3 years/ 8m.  I'm over it with Sully.

Lots of hard decisions, which is a good thing.  I think this team is fighting with Indy, Charlotte and Miami again for the 3-6 slots.  Good news is it's still a young team with lots of upside.
Pretty good. Personally, I would give up JJ give Bentil some run.  He's younger and has more upside.  I agree on choosing Zeller over Amir for the reasons you stated but it depends on the price.  Amir's option is a bit steep.  Yabusele is really intriguing but a one-year stash may be the wise move.

So long Young, good luck somewhere.  Hunter and Mickey have to make progress this season.  All these new draftees will be breathing down their necks.

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 12:31:54 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I think it's possible we let Jerebko go and sign a wing this offseason if it's not Durant.  We may still go after a better shooter there.  We also drafted Yabusele who might take his spot.  Ainge really filled needs this draft as far as that stuff.  I like the idea of jackson making the roster right off the bat.  That's going really young though.  I like it though.  We may end up keeping Amir a year and stashing both Zizic and Yabusele for a year or two until they can legitamently take Amir and jerebko's spots in the rotation.  Bentil is really competition for Mickey i feel.  Young and Rj are in the same position right now.  Someone might be cut there or spend their career in the d-league.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 12:40:45 PM by walker834 »