Author Topic: Now I'm convinced, we have to build through the draft!!!  (Read 2339 times)

Now I'm convinced, we have to build through the draft!!!
« on: July 01, 2016, 11:17:33 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Looking at the lay of the NBA landscape, two things become blatantly clear and I hope we accept them:
  • superstars are drafted and groomed and not traded for.
  • superstars are magnets, having one will attract more... but you must have one

Look at all of our trade / FA targets: Jimmy Butler (drafted by Bulls), DMC (drafted by Kings), Durant (drafted by Thunder), Horford (drafted by Hawks).

If the possibility of us striking out on all of our targets come true, it's not Danny's fault; it's the reality that we simply don't have a superstar... one-year all-stars don't count. Once a superstar emerges in a market, they will likely stay and attract more superstars. Without the pull of playing with Paul Pierce, we never would have attracted KG and Ray. Also see Miami, Cavs, Spurs, etc.

But the first step is not Free Agency or Trades, it's drafting and grooming your own superstar that will attract others to want to play with them. Here is where our biggest problem lie going forward though, CBS doesn't force feed rookies minutes in the way a Phoenix will with Booker, or TWolves with their young core or Turner with Pacers. We have rookies that are stuck behind serviceable vets that simply aren't getting the on-court time they need to develop. Losing ET and missing out on big FA prospects may be a blessing because we finally have to play our young core. Look at the emergence of McCollom and Crabbe in Portland.

As much as we are in the playoffs I still think we are a rebuilding team that needs a star and teams are reluctant to move their cornerstones and superstars are reluctant to sign on a team with no superstar... irrespective of how "promising" they are.

With that said, I now fully on board the Jaylen train because we need him to become our own superstar

Re: Now I'm convinced, we have to build through the draft!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 11:19:56 PM »

Offline BigDogPitbull

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
Think if we overplayed for Butler on draft day we would have a better chance at Durant and Horford?

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 11:20:18 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Think if we overplayed for Butler on draft day we would have a better chance at Durant and Horford?

Well it would be impossible for us to sign both of them, so no.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 11:24:07 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown

Yes, I do. But in my opinion Butler was never available in the first place. The Bulls placed a price on Butler that they knew would be rejected. Teams don't trade away young cornerstones for draft picks.

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 11:27:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Yeah , it looks very slim chance right now that we get anybody LOL......wow

Celtics seem to be banking landing Horford on Durrant jumping ship .

All the while LeBron sits tight with his four max contract players on the Cavs

We can 't even get ONE ....SMH

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 11:32:18 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Draft is most cost effective way to land a superstar yes.

But look at Sacramento and the Bulls.  Despite the fact that they have Butler and Cousins, do you see any marquee free agents lining up to sign with them?  It's more than just having one star. 

It's the overall team situation, and the perception that if they join you, they can get to the next level.  I feel like a lot of the top stars consider Boston a good destination or they wouldn't even come to hear our pitch.  So it's a step up for us in the right direction at least.

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 11:39:25 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74

Well it would be impossible for us to sign both of them, so no.

This is false. The salary cap is 94M. Durant and Horford would both command 25M. Butler makes just over 17M. If you add up those numbers (67M) you don't exceed the salary cap. We might have to move players to afford them all but I think that is an obvious consideration.

I actually did some quick math and we can afford to keep Thomas, Bradley, Crowder and Smart while adding those guys as well as either Mickey or Hunter.

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 11:42:33 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
Draft is most cost effective way to land a superstar yes.

But look at Sacramento and the Bulls.  Despite the fact that they have Butler and Cousins, do you see any marquee free agents lining up to sign with them?  It's more than just having one star. 

It's the overall team situation, and the perception that if they join you, they can get to the next level.  I feel like a lot of the top stars consider Boston a good destination or they wouldn't even come to hear our pitch.  So it's a step up for us in the right direction at least.

Getting to pitch is great, but we don't exist in a vacuum. We are the 2016 version of the 2015 Mavs... close doesn't really count in signing players... ultimately we either do or don't. Superstars will always have options and without the magnetism of a superstar already on our team they will most likely choose the alternative. Tonight we were hoping on signing Horford to attract Durant, when OKC can likely offer the opportunity to play with Westbrook and Durant.

We need to pour out more effort into turning Smart into Butler and Jaylen into Paul George and this happens on the court in real games, not practice.

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 11:55:09 PM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

There have been some of us around these parts that have been warning everyone that this would be the likely outcome for a while.......as in years........as in every year.........

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 12:11:13 AM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39

Yes, I do. But in my opinion Butler was never available in the first place. The Bulls placed a price on Butler that they knew would be rejected. Teams don't trade away young cornerstones for draft picks.

I've been trying to say this for months. Butler was never an option. I don't think the NBA is gonna let Boston do what they did in 07 again. But the only way to get a top talent here is to trap them here through trade or though the draft.

Danny should go hard after Ryan Anderson. Then you can move other players for a talent to pair with him to attract a top talent. Otherwise your gonna be stuck working the draft. Sad but true

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 12:15:22 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

There have been some of us around these parts that have been warning everyone that this would be the likely outcome for a while.......as in years........as in every year.........

Yes ...history is sure not on the side of Celtics landing anybody significant in FA status.

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 12:16:24 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
At this point if we have to get on our knees for a scrub like Horford, I don't mind building through the draft. We really don't need any of these Free Agents. I believe in Stevens and the Bkln picks moving forward.

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 12:17:24 AM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39

Yeah but us people only got ridiculed and thought of as ridiculous. I've said months ago, we are not trading for Butler. We are not trading the #3 pick and will keep the pick. We are not signing Durant. We have to build through the draft. I warned everyone to stop getting their hopes up about all the media hype. Pretty much everything I've said came to light but yet I was the idiot. Lol, and now when I post the I told u so's there's no replies to my comments because I was right on target. Pretty sad huh ?

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 12:30:36 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Good one. Tbh i don't think any major FAs will sign with the Celts

call me a Debbie Downer but FAs just don't want to come here.  Only when the team is "stacked"

I predict we will pretty much have the a similar lineup like last season minus Turner, Zully

Keep Amir/Jerebko and the rookies. Maybe one or two vet FAs