Author Topic: Woj - Horford Decision Expected Saturday Evening (ATL upping offer)  (Read 80024 times)

Re: Woj - Horford plans to make decision over weekend
« Reply #120 on: July 02, 2016, 12:37:14 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Horford will not sign probably until he knows where Durant is going

Durant was very impressed by the clippers presentation.  Nothing like this was said about the Celtics presentation. Oh well

clippers prob told him one thing but very important to Durant

ok , we give you the ball as many times you want it and we will move out of the way.  If you get tired, Paul and the rest will step in

Durant eyes light up

vs

CBS is going to make you work for it.  Come to practice on time. Don't miss out defensive assignments.  Tough work ahead. lol

That's because the Celtics aren't meeting with him until tomorrow. I'm sure wonderful things will be said about each team's presentation to Durant, that's how these things work.

Why is everyone so negative today about the Celtics free agency chances? What the heck did you expect? That Horford and Durant would just decide to sign with us before meeting with all the teams on their lists? They are both still very much considering us, that is all we could possibly ask for at this point. Yet, instead of excitement, everyone here sounds defeated already.

Players in Horford's status usually don't take long to decide. For example, Hassan Whiteside made a decision pretty quickly after he met with the teams. The fact that Horford specifically is waiting makes it clear we are being used as leverage against the Hawks. That's why it's frustrating. We weren't able to woo him into signing after our meeting. I mean did you see how the Grizzilies wooed Parsons?

Now if it  was Durant, that's totally understandable because look at his choices. They are much better than Horford's. Basically, if Horford was even serious about signing with the Celtics, then he would realize how important he would be for tomorrow's meeting with Durant.

That's just simply not true, and a defeatist, negative mindset. Horford is an all-star, getting max offers from multiple contenders. His decision is likely tied to Durant's decision as well. He also stated he is deciding this weekend, i.e. in a day or two. Anyone who thought he would decide immediately after meeting with us is naive. It doesnt in any way indicate he is using us or any other team. That is the mentality of people who are just looking for failure to say "look, I was right, we suck and nobody wants to come here" which is clearly not true at all.

Um I just named two players who signed after meeting. DeAndre Jordan did the same thing last year. I can literally give you more names.

If you don't see that Horford is clearly using us as leverage, then you are blind my friend. He clearly wants that fifth year with the Hawks. Oh by the way, I would check twitter to reaffirm the Hawks being a legit threat. And they only need to clear 11M to sign Horford to the max because they have his bird rights. So again, Horford is literally waiting for the Hawks to offer him the max.

If the Hawks had any intention of giving him a fifth year they would have...

A. Not signed his replacement
B. Not put themselves in a situation where they can't offer him a contract unless they give away assets to shed 11m in salary
C. Just offered him the dang five year max deal in the first place.

The Hawks are out of this. If you want to be pessimistic start scanning Twitter for a Kanter trade.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #121 on: July 02, 2016, 12:38:08 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
The Celtics met with free agent center Al Horford on Friday night, according to multiple league sources, and a league source who was familiar with the gathering said the meeting went very well, and that the belief is that Boston has a “good chance” of signing the four-time All-Star.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2016/07/01/celtics-meeting-with-horford-went-well/HDkDxfSVmw7YLTlDgZGXpI/story.html

Yep, and yet some fans want to paint a picture that Horford already dumped us and is using us and we are losers who can't sign anybody of any value, etc, ect.

Tomorrow when Horford signs with us, the same people will come back and say Horford is overrated, we overpaid, Ainge is an idiot, and Durant will never sign with us. Welcome to Celticsblog.

Agreed.

My only issue is that this "source who is familiar with the gathering" is likely a Boston guy. Trying to hype it up maybe? I hope not.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #122 on: July 02, 2016, 12:42:43 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
It's Al's last BIG massive contract .   ........so he has to play it to the hilt ......get all he can ......

In five years his game will most likey not attract this sort of payday .

I'm sure .....HE IS STALLING FOR TIME ......time for Hawks to free up more money ...

I'd say his first choice is the five year deal with Hawks if they can free up,the money in time.

Next ,  go with KD and try for a ring ....hope for the best if OKC fails

Then Boston .

« Reply #123 on: July 02, 2016, 12:53:03 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Okay, so I missed everything as I was driving to Indianapolis since around 8.

What I've got so far is this:
A) we made a strong pitch to Horford;
B) we seem to be the favorites to land him right now, though he wants to sleep on the decision a day or so;
C) many are interpreting this as him waiting on KD's meeting tomorrow due to them ultimately wanting to team up here or in OKC (makes sense to me)
D) Atlanta is pretty much out of the running after the Howard/Baze deals, though they say they're trying to still clear room.

Sound about right? At the very least, if he would go back to Atlanta we should be able to get Milsap cheaply from them for not much more than AJ and JJ.

P.S. - I heard several ppl say the whole "KD being blown away by LAC's pitch" was blown out of proportion. Their inflexibility with regard to contract this summer and next makes it virtually a certainty he doesn't go there, which we already knew.

« Reply #124 on: July 02, 2016, 12:54:30 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Horford will not sign probably until he knows where Durant is going

Durant was very impressed by the clippers presentation.  Nothing like this was said about the Celtics presentation. Oh well

clippers prob told him one thing but very important to Durant

ok , we give you the ball as many times you want it and we will move out of the way.  If you get tired, Paul and the rest will step in

Durant eyes light up

vs

CBS is going to make you work for it.  Come to practice on time. Don't miss out defensive assignments.  Tough work ahead. lol

That's because the Celtics aren't meeting with him until tomorrow. I'm sure wonderful things will be said about each team's presentation to Durant, that's how these things work.

Why is everyone so negative today about the Celtics free agency chances? What the heck did you expect? That Horford and Durant would just decide to sign with us before meeting with all the teams on their lists? They are both still very much considering us, that is all we could possibly ask for at this point. Yet, instead of excitement, everyone here sounds defeated already.

Players in Horford's status usually don't take long to decide. For example, Hassan Whiteside made a decision pretty quickly after he met with the teams. The fact that Horford specifically is waiting makes it clear we are being used as leverage against the Hawks. That's why it's frustrating. We weren't able to woo him into signing after our meeting. I mean did you see how the Grizzilies wooed Parsons?

Now if it  was Durant, that's totally understandable because look at his choices. They are much better than Horford's. Basically, if Horford was even serious about signing with the Celtics, then he would realize how important he would be for tomorrow's meeting with Durant.

That's just simply not true, and a defeatist, negative mindset. Horford is an all-star, getting max offers from multiple contenders. His decision is likely tied to Durant's decision as well. He also stated he is deciding this weekend, i.e. in a day or two. Anyone who thought he would decide immediately after meeting with us is naive. It doesnt in any way indicate he is using us or any other team. That is the mentality of people who are just looking for failure to say "look, I was right, we suck and nobody wants to come here" which is clearly not true at all.

Um I just named two players who signed after meeting. DeAndre Jordan did the same thing last year. I can literally give you more names.

If you don't see that Horford is clearly using us as leverage, then you are blind my friend. He clearly wants that fifth year with the Hawks. Oh by the way, I would check twitter to reaffirm the Hawks being a legit threat. And they only need to clear 11M to sign Horford to the max because they have his bird rights. So again, Horford is literally waiting for the Hawks to offer him the max.

If the Hawks had any intention of giving him a fifth year they would have...

A. Not signed his replacement
B. Not put themselves in a situation where they can't offer him a contract unless they give away assets to shed 11m in salary
C. Just offered him the dang five year max deal in the first place.

The Hawks are out of this. If you want to be pessimistic start scanning Twitter for a Kanter trade.

How am I being pessimistic? It's all over twitter that Hawks looked to clear cap space. Why would they look if they were out of it? That's just a fact dude. I hate when people say a person is pessimistic because they don't agree with your POV.

« Reply #125 on: July 02, 2016, 01:01:17 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Worst case scenario we can just sell off the contributors, pump minutes into the young fellas and tank.  This upcoming draft is supposed to be epic.

Lar, we have a swap next year. Tanking would likely accomplish nothing.

I forgot this detail earlier today, too, and was lambasted for it. Tough crowd. I would still "tank," though, in the sense that I'd prefer to let our vet FAs walk and give a lot of minutes to the young guys this year. A year of development, looking ahead to the future, sounds like a much better use of our season than another first round exit while they lose another year of growth.

In my defense, I had to get off a plane because it needed "repairs" that were discovered as we were about to take off... then missed 3 connecting flights (each time rescheduled), then had to rent a car and drive 4 hours to get home so I wouldn't be stuck for a weekend. Ughhhh.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #126 on: July 02, 2016, 01:05:16 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

B) we seem to be the favorites to land him right now, though he wants to sleep on the decision a day or so;
C) many are interpreting this as him waiting on KD's meeting tomorrow due to them ultimately wanting to team up here or in OKC (makes sense to me)
D) Atlanta is pretty much out of the running after the Howard/Baze deals, though they say they're trying to still clear room.

Sound about right? At the very least, if he would go back to Atlanta we should be able to get Milsap cheaply from them for not much more than AJ and JJ.

P.S. - I heard several ppl say the whole "KD being blown away by LAC's pitch" was blown out of proportion. Their inflexibility with regard to contract this summer and next makes it virtually a certainty he doesn't go there, which we already knew.

I think you caught up on everything.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

« Reply #127 on: July 02, 2016, 01:07:04 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Worst case scenario we can just sell off the contributors, pump minutes into the young fellas and tank.  This upcoming draft is supposed to be epic.

I forgot this detail earlier today, too, and was lambasted for it. Tough crowd. I would still "tank," though, in the sense that I'd prefer to let our vet FAs walk and give a lot of minutes to the young guys this year. A year of development, looking ahead to the future, sounds like a much better use of our season than another first round exit while they lose another year of growth.

In my defense, I had to get off a plane because it needed "repairs" that were discovered as we were about to take off... then missed 3 connecting flights (each time rescheduled), then had to rent a car and drive 4 hours to get home so I wouldn't be stuck for a weekend. Ughhhh.
Sounds like that time I was stuck in Orlando,and had to take a train to Jersey. And then the train got stuck because a car got stuck in the train tracks somehow.

« Reply #128 on: July 02, 2016, 01:07:27 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text

I think you caught up on everything.

Now I'm caught up too. TPs all around
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #129 on: July 02, 2016, 01:13:34 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533

I forgot this detail earlier today, too, and was lambasted for it. Tough crowd. I would still "tank," though, in the sense that I'd prefer to let our vet FAs walk and give a lot of minutes to the young guys this year. A year of development, looking ahead to the future, sounds like a much better use of our season than another first round exit while they lose another year of growth..
You may get your wish.  As of today, minus Turner, this is a lottery team.

« Reply #130 on: July 02, 2016, 01:18:54 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
So, if Horford goes somewhere else, is it safe to say that replacing Horford with Howard makes them a worse overall team? Their defense was good already, but they needed to improve their offense. I don't think Howard helps them there at all. Between losing Teague and this swap, I think they're a worse team.

« Reply #131 on: July 02, 2016, 01:19:18 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

I forgot this detail earlier today, too, and was lambasted for it. Tough crowd. I would still "tank," though, in the sense that I'd prefer to let our vet FAs walk and give a lot of minutes to the young guys this year. A year of development, looking ahead to the future, sounds like a much better use of our season than another first round exit while they lose another year of growth..
You may get your wish.  As of today, minus Turner, this is a lottery team.

That's debatable. I trust guys like Marcus and Jaylen will step up and replace some (if not all) that Turner was doing for us.

« Reply #132 on: July 02, 2016, 01:20:36 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
So, if Horford goes somewhere else, is it safe to say that replacing Horford with Howard makes them a worse overall team? Their defense was good already, but they needed to improve their offense. I don't think Howard helps them there at all. Between losing Teague and this swap, I think they're a worse team.

I think so too. A big part of their success was horford spacing the floor. Dwight can't do that. And Teague is gone. Idk if they're better than last year.

« Reply #133 on: July 02, 2016, 01:22:52 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Watching ESPN on free agency right now. I swear to God I get dumber every time I watch ESPN anymore. It's like they're funded by Golden State...

« Reply #134 on: July 02, 2016, 01:29:05 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Watching ESPN on free agency right now. I swear to God I get dumber every time I watch ESPN anymore. It's like they're funded by Golden State...

I haven't turned on ESPN at all during this period. I live in bliss.